Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

454ci Solid Roller Project...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 454ci Solid Roller Project...thoughts?

I am considering, for my next project, doing a GM LSX block, 454ci Solid Roller cam, with GM LS7 heads and Intake. Has anyone done this type of combo, or is there any reason that this combo would not be feesable in the next couple of years? I was thinking something around a 4.200" stroke and a 4.100" bore. Is that the sizes that are available, or are there other combinations that are used with the LS-style blocks to get the 454ci? What kind of power could be made with this combo? I know depending on the cam, compression, etc it will differ, but lets say a decent sized cam, but not extremely large, and around 11.5:1 static compression? I want to make big power, but not lose too much low end grunt...I know Futral does excellent solid roller projects. Are there any other good solid roller cam designers and builders out now that could spec out a nice cam? Thanks for the input!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go 4.187 Bore x 4.125 Stroke to get 454 CID.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one has any thoughts that will help me with this project??? Or any thoughts on what kind of power I can make with this setup?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

How many rpm's are you wanting to turn??

Waht is the exact reason you want a solid roller?? Just questions, because with no more compression than you are talking about running and running a factory gm intake, you should be able to make alot of power. If you are wanting to make around 700 at the crank, I think you should be able to do it with a hydraulic roller. Just a suggestion. If you are wanting to really turn the rpm's up past 7200 rpm or so then you may want to keep looking at the solid roller. Good luck!!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, just wanna be different. There are a few big cubes LS_ motors running around here, and I want mine to be different. I am not worried about turning high rpms. But a solid roller will also make better low end power than a hydraulic when it comes to bigger cams, right? Like I said, I dont want to go monster big like a TREX in a stock cubes LS1, but something like a G5x2 or X3 in an LS1 that would be equivalent in size for a 454ci. I will probably have Futral spec the cam. What kind of power are big cube, solid roller motors making?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

I can understand wanting to be different. I just wanted to let you know that you are looking at least another $2K minimum to go solid roller over hydraulic. If you are not planning on turning alot of RPMs or going to a big cam, the benefits of the solid are not really worth it IMO. There are not alot of solid roller setup's out there with the LS7 heads, much less the LSX block. The ones that are, are geared towards HIGH rpms (8K plus!!)

FWIW I will be turning mine 7K plus and it will be hydraulic.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

SDPC is said to be working on an off-the-shelf 4.185" piston for the 4.125 stroke, 6.125" rod combo. They should come in a bit lower in cost than a custom made part. A solid roller would be nice and Allen should be able to help you out in that regard. I would think piston speed would become an issue given the long stroke at high revs if it's a DD. Certainly a solid roller could be used to make some big numbers upstairs and with the amount of inches we are dealing with here you wouldn't notice any drop off in low end torque. I think you could come into some very good power numbers with a hydraulic roller however.

D.J.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

We actually have a 454LSX 4.185" bore\4.125" stroke, ET LS7 style heads setup for solid roller going together now. We will be engine dynoing with the LS7 intake and a sheetmetal intake for comparo testing. It will have something bigger then a TREX for sure ! Thats about all I can say for now

Now for your setup just having a solid roller will not gurranty more low-end power? Do you have a projected RPM range?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

The only thing that sucks about the LS7 heads is that the heads are not big spring friendly and you would have to mill off the built in pedestals for the stock rockers and put Jesels on it. You can get an LS7 head from ET Performance that can use regular springs and bolt on rockers. Just talk to Craig there or Cary.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

what up Erik?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now we are getting somewhere. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.
Racer7088 - Thanks for the input on the heads.
Futral - As far as the RPM range, this motor will be going in a car that will definitely not be a daily driver, but it will be driven on the street and played around with some. I would like to keep the rev limiter around 7500 or so. I am just looking for a bigger cubes motor that makes good power up top, but has alot of ***** down low. The one thing I hated about the car in my sig, was that it took till over 4000 rpms to start pulling real hard. I would like something that would start pulling around 2500 - 3000 and pull as long as it can. If I had not decided to sell that car, I was going to pull the TREX, and put in an F14 on a 112 LSA in favor of more low-end grunt. I like how the F14 makes great big end power, but still makes nice power under the curve. Maybe a cam comparable to an F14 but bigger for the bigger cubes motor would work good in my project. I am just tryin to get some ideas for when I do decide to start working on this project.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Once you go Solid Roller you won't want to go back. Trust me.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

AHH, who knows, by the time I actually get to do this project, I may just tell Futral to go big and nasty and see what kind of huge numbers I can make. But, just looking for ideas right now. I am sure I can make big power with hydraulic roller cams too, but I want something different than other people. There isnt anyone around where I live that has gone solid roller LS_ yet.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

With the basic info you are list and your goals a"ballpak" cam would be 258\270-112. This could change depending on how the motor goes together. Ported or stock LS7 heads,headers\exhaust,etc..

Quick Reply: 454ci Solid Roller Project...thoughts?