Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

anybody build forged 364 ls2's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anybody build forged 364 ls2's?

like the title says.... ive sent out emails but no responses. im looking to order a short block this winter but get didly for replies. not a real confidence booster. customer service and price are number one. this is a street cruiser and im not looking for that last tenth or that 2 rwhp thatll give me a record. its for a 02 z28 with a d1sc procharger. id like it to be able to hold 750-800 rwhp if i decide to up my fuel system.
thanks
Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using a local vendor to do mine (Advanced Dyno in Suisun City); forged LS2 with custom Diamond pistons with a thicker ring land good to 20psi for high boost applications. It's costing me $3,200 outright, but they are reusing my 6.125" Eagle H-rods. I also considered the Cartek Sportsman X-series 364ci, but the quoted price was far higher than the online price, plus they could not accept my LS6 parts as a core for the LS2. I also looked at Katech, MTI, ARE, and a few other respectable engine builders for 364ci LS2 motors. Doing a 364ci will be cheaper than a 402ci, you really don't need any more low end torque if you already can't kick it into downshifting without going sideways. Shipping charges get quite expensive for shipping cores and the built shortblock around the country. My experience has made me gun-shy of using mailorder houses, so I'd recommend putting as much responsibility on a local shop as possible. If you order a motor from one place and have someone else install, neither will take responsibility for the end result.

Last edited by blu00rdstr; 09-30-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have found one local machine place that has done a couple but by far not alot of lsx based motors. my fear is there inexperience and myself not supplying all the correct parts and seals. for instance whats this plastic dumbell seall or plug that needs to be installed in the block? lol!! does it come with the block or a seal kit or all by its loasem? maybe ill try to get a deal from a sponsor on a completely un assembled short or long block and see what that price is and try to get it locally assembled. atleast if a local machinist screws up its easier to take my fustrations out on them.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The more 3rd parties you have involved, the more opportunity they have to point fingers at each other if they're not all sync'd up. If you have one place do everything, a package deal might be cheaper and they'd have to warranty it for a month or so, but the more you farm out, the less of a hobby it is. But I do agree with dealing with local shops, they're less likely to blow you off if you have an issue.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried W2W or any of the other sponsors on the board?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Default Recomendation

It is hard to recommend a builder ,without knowing where you are located
John
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

rochester, ny. i have emailed and pmed a few sponsors but it seems when i ask if the stand behind their prodect for at least startup and i say i dont want to go with $2500 + heads they drop out of contact. rather it being they lose interest or are busy i dont know. i know beter heads is better power but hell im fi with the plans of buying a big front mount inter cooler. so i need to add a psi or two to make up for the heads, and yes that psi adds heat, but by the time i out grow that front mount ic id be into a whole new combo anyway, or a new camaro.
im a commercial electrician by trade. ive got to work on some very interesting projects. production lines for coca cola,(conveyor and control plc's), chemecal research labs for kodak,(all explosion proof and redundant safteys),5 story liquid toner machine for xerox,(the size and quantity of all the points and controls is just mind scrambling)and many more. i have no problem warrantying what i do nor is it a ?. i understand the world is full of idiots and thats what makes the whole mail order warranty hard to get. i just wish if i bought from a sponsor and had another sponsor install that there would be a some integrity with the project , but i do hear you quite well blu00rdstr that finger pointing would most likely be the first response if something go's astray. i wish i had the time and the program savy to do it myself but if i go that road ill be teleporting to work by the time id get it done. ill keep looking, i have all winter after all. damn power bug!!!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For what it's worth, this time around I spent $5,350:

$3,200 on a forged LS2 shortblock with 20psi-rated Diamond pistons
$1,500 on LS3 heads/LS7 lifters/L76 intake/LS2 throttle body
$650 on a twin in-tank fuel upgrade with 8an lines and Aeromotive parts

Just over a year ago I spent $3,500 on a shortblock and $1,500 to get it installed and that lasted 35miles. It ticked me off so bad I had to walk away from it for nearly a year. So I'm up to $10,350 (I really hate adding these things up).
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

I'm with Blu, spent almost $9k getting a vendors forged 347 to work and the damn heads disentegrated . I looked for a long time and ended up buying a new motor from LME and could not be any happier. Remember you get what you pay for and research is the key.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

35 miles? thats absolutly terrible!!! i know you pay to play but give my a break thats pathetic! what let go? im curious on if a sponsor built it or tuned it? i understand not publicly saying but please pm me if you could so i dont support that builder or tuner!!!
good thing they dont rate auto engines by hours because you wouldnt have got 1 out of it. you got guts to even try again!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Canadian Performance in Toronto is not so far away. There are a number of good shops in New Jersey, Long Island, etc.

Nobody warranties unless you do complete turnkey because there are an infinite number of ways for the installer or tuner or driver to screw it up.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 AM
TECH Regular

Default Etp

ET PERFORMANCE
3295 Haggerty Road
Walled Lake, MI 48390
248-668-9390
Old 10-03-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Regular

Default Etp

ET PERFORMANCE
3295 Haggerty Road
Walled Lake, MI 48390
248-668-9390
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blu00rdstr
The more 3rd parties you have involved, the more opportunity they have to point fingers at each other if they're not all sync'd up. If you have one place do everything, a package deal might be cheaper and they'd have to warranty it for a month or so, but the more you farm out, the less of a hobby it is. But I do agree with dealing with local shops, they're less likely to blow you off if you have an issue.
Less potential problems when you & builder/installer/tuner agree on all points of the project. I've been in a position where an installer did a fucked up job & blamed my choice of components when it was clearly their poor attention to the details NEVER AGAIN...I learned the hard way
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I learned a tough lesson buying a used long block LS2 on this board. 1200 Miles and it blew up, no oil pressure and found metal chunks in the pan. Now I'm using a local machine shop to do everything on it. wiseco pistons, callies rods, clevite bearings

I basically just paid 2500 for a block and stock set of 243s....
Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are scaring me. i had my heart set on a 408 shortblock in the next year or 2. it seems so much cheaper to buy a shortblock then it is to get one assembled.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

holy old threads batman

melscrilla,
$200 isn't much of a labor charge when you consider what you can go through doing it yourself if you have never done it before. It sounds simple but buying a short block and completing the rest yourself with little or no experience can be a nightmare for you. I have no idea of your experience level but $200 isn't much when you consider the ramifications of what could go wrong doing it yourself and how much it could cost you.

We do them in every form for our customers from a rotating assemble to a total "crate" build and everyones experience level and mechanical apptitude is different.
Sometimes doing it yourself to save a few bucks only sets you back more money in the end. All depends on the person.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone else noticed the crazy number of ancient threads that have been bumped in multiple sections last night and today?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Maybe people are finally using the search option!

Quick Reply: anybody build forged 364 ls2's?