Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Shaft mount rocker questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaft mount rocker questions

I know that everyone seems to be of the opinion that the Jesel shaft rockers are the best bang for the buck on shaft mount rockers, but what advantages/disadvantages are there in the other shaft mount rockers? Particularly, comp and crane shaft mount rockers is what I'm interested in hearing about. What kind of gains will you see with each of those three over the stock rocker arms on a set of heads like AFR 225's or TFS 225-235's on a 400 plus engine?

I know there are more gains to be had with solid roller cams, but what about hydraulic roller?

Tony Mamo, aren't you running some crane shaft mounts on a 383 setup? Why did you go with those over some other ones?

Before someone brings up any of the other stud mounted rockers, like the comp ones, I'm not interested in hearing about them. Just interested in learning more about the shaft mount ones.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I think Crane and Comp offer "shaft" rockers which are different from "shaft-mounted" rockers. "Shaft" rockers are like the Yella Terras with a shaft that runs between two rockers, like the Jesel, but are still have a bolt going through the fulcrum to secure and fasten the rocker.

The "shaft mounted" rockers differ in that the actual shaft is bolted to a stand, which is also bolted to the head. There is no bolt going through the fulcrum, and usually involves some extra machining to fit the stands.

If Crane or Comp do offer shaft mount rockers, pardon my ignorance, but I haven't heard of them yet.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Valve train geometry is better with a full shaft like Jesel. Decks "do" start to twist in high hp/rpm applications.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
I think Crane and Comp offer "shaft" rockers which are different from "shaft-mounted" rockers. "Shaft" rockers are like the Yella Terras with a shaft that runs between two rockers, like the Jesel, but are still have a bolt going through the fulcrum to secure and fasten the rocker.

The "shaft mounted" rockers differ in that the actual shaft is bolted to a stand, which is also bolted to the head. There is no bolt going through the fulcrum, and usually involves some extra machining to fit the stands.

If Crane or Comp do offer shaft mount rockers, pardon my ignorance, but I haven't heard of them yet.
Thanks for the info. So, what i'm gathering is that the shaft mount Jesel is not only the best value per dollar, but is also a better design than the comp or crane shaft rockers.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

What about these?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/452872-crane-shaft-polymatrix-mount-rockers.html
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTtop6spd
Thanks for the info. So, what i'm gathering is that the shaft mount Jesel is not only the best value per dollar, but is also a better design than the comp or crane shaft rockers.

I have a brand new set of Jesel LS1 shaft rockers that I need to sell. They are listed on ebay. They are Brand New - still sealed! I am offering them for $200.00 less than I paid for them. I need the money! PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Deeavi
I have a brand new set of Jesel LS1 shaft rockers that I need to sell. They are listed on ebay. They are Brand New - still sealed! I am offering them for $200.00 less than I paid for them. I need the money! PM me if you are interested.
I'm looking for an education, not what's for sale. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Crane, T&D, Jesel, Crower, and Comp all offer true shaft mounted rockers. Most all heads need to be machined to fit them. The Jesel SS are the cheapest at around $800, but are not adjustable. All the others are adjustable, including the Jesel J2K. The T&D and Comps are around $900-1000. The Cranes run north of $1000. Crower around $1200 and the Jesel J2K is around $1400 or beyond depending on options.

The Crane's with the Polymatrix bearings are probably the best all around rocker, plus they are fully adjustable. They are what Tony Mamo runs on his Solid Roller 383.

The Crane Golds and Comp Pro Magnums are the stud-rocker variety and are much like the Harland Sharps and Yella Terras. They are also far cheaper than their shaft-mounted big brothers.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Crane, T&D, Jesel, Crower, and Comp all offer true shaft mounted rockers. Most all heads need to be machined to fit them. The Jesel SS are the cheapest at around $800, but are not adjustable. All the others are adjustable, including the Jesel J2K. The T&D and Comps are around $900-1000. The Cranes run north of $1000. Crower around $1200 and the Jesel J2K is around $1400 or beyond depending on options.

The Crane's with the Polymatrix bearings are probably the best all around rocker, plus they are fully adjustable. They are what Tony Mamo runs on his Solid Roller 383.

The Crane Golds and Comp Pro Magnums are the stud-rocker variety and are much like the Harland Sharps and Yella Terras. They are also far cheaper than their shaft-mounted big brothers.
So, other than the difference in price, the major differences would be machining quality, construction, and weight. Crane being the exception with the Polymatrix bearings. I'm assuming there's also going to be a difference in valve train geometry? I've read up on the Crane's and they supposedly have really good geometry. How do the others compare for getting things lined up properly?

Quick Reply: Shaft mount rocker questions