Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Titanium valves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Titanium valves?

i'm looking at getting a set of heads that have stainless valves in them, and i want to run some Titanium valves in their place. where should/can i get some? what do they usually cost? what are stainless valves worth for me to sell?

thanks guys,
ben
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you mean sodium filled valves and titanium retainers? Thats what the z06 runs.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
LC
TECH Resident

intake titanium valves are around 900 to 1100 depending on some factors i know it first hand
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
intake titanium valves are around 900 to 1100 depending on some factors i know it first hand
You got a deal then. Thats a really cheap price.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
LC
TECH Resident

you think? my wallet rolled over in pain when i paid them.. whats the average price?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You only want to use Ti on the intake valves, Ti is not a good idea for the exhaust valves they don't handle the heat. Look at the LS7 there is a reason that GM still uses a sodium filled exhaust valve.
I've seen what happens when Ti is used on the exhaust valves it's not pretty when they fail.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LT-4Play
You only want to use Ti on the intake valves, Ti is not a good idea for the exhaust valves they don't handle the heat. Look at the LS7 there is a reason that GM still uses a sodium filled exhaust valve.
I've seen what happens when Ti is used on the exhaust valves it's not pretty when they fail.
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure you can run Titanium exhaust valves in a higher compression naturally aspirated engine. Titanium has poor heat transfer, so you'd have to run a Beryllium Copper seat to help suck out all the heat.

In a turbo or nitrous engine, steel or inconel would probably be a better choice though.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Inconel is the alloy of choice for the very high cylinder pressure/temperature setups. Xceldyne and Del West are two good options for titanium valves. Look them up.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What size valves do you need? You can find a plethora of them on ebay, but more than likely they'll be in a different guide size. You can have them shortened and turned down to fit certain applications.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

cool...thanks guys, that gives me a good place to start.

the reason i ask is because i was looking at running TSP's LS7R cam and they said that due to the violent ramp rates of the lobes Ti valves were necessary...i'm assuming to prevent valve float and/or some other undesired valve event.

IF that's the case, or if that's the reason Ti valves are recommended, wouldn't you want both intake AND exhaust valves? FWIW, i'll be running a 11.5:1-ish LS7-headed motor if i can work out the whole "money" thing
Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Titanium exhaust valves tend to pop the ends off. They don't handle the heat well. Like it was mentioned before inconel or hollow / sodium filled exhuast valves are the way to go. What size valves do you plan on running?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Titanium exhaust valves tend to pop the ends off. They don't handle the heat well. Like it was mentioned before inconel or hollow / sodium filled exhuast valves are the way to go. What size valves do you plan on running?

probably a 2.200 / 1.600. i thought about going Ti/Inconel.....i dunno, what's a inconel valve weigh compared to sodium filled?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

you can run titanium exhaust valves..do it all the time on big nitrous/turbo/blower applications with no problems whatsoever but we do run berrliyum copper seats. Have run titanium exhaust valves on some spec dirt track stuff with no problems also on iron seats.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Any reputable engine/head builder will recommend inconel over titanium in a very high EGT situation. The intake valve is fine, because it doesnt saturate front and back like the exhaust side does. From a practical sense I know that it can work. My uncles offshore boat has a 540BBC with a roots blower running 100 blend at 1200hp all day with titanium on both sides. No issues with it there..........But again, a builder is going to like the inconel better simply for metalurgy reasons.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
What size valves do you need? You can find a plethora of them on ebay, but more than likely they'll be in a different guide size. You can have them shortened and turned down to fit certain applications.
90% of the stuff is ebay is titanium coated, and if you find actually solid ti. valves for a different use, the cost for machining is going to equal or outweigh buying the right stem size and length from the get go.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
90% of the stuff is ebay is titanium coated, and if you find actually solid ti. valves for a different use, the cost for machining is going to equal or outweigh buying the right stem size and length from the get go.
I beg to differ. I have some really nice Xceldyne, Del West, and Manley titanium valves I've acquired off of ebay. There's also a guy named David Jarvis who runs Jarvis performance at http://jarvisperformance.myriadfx.com/home.shtml (You can remove that if you like, but I don't know of any sponsors that do this service.) He has some amazing prices on shortening, turning down, and reconditioning titanium valves.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

I understand what your saying xfactor..we just havent had any problems running titanium exhaust valves in john urist or dan saitz's heads for example. Heads come back in for a refreshen and clean up within a couple thousandths on valves and seats..We do have to run steel exhaust guides though.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

I dont doubt what you are saying, and you sound like a sharp guy. I just wanted to warn the lessor knowledgable ones reading that just because the add says titanium, doesnt mean it really is. IE. if the set of valves are $100, you can bet they arent Ti. About what is that guy charging to rework valves, our of curiousity sake? I ask, because I know of two guys that do it locally and its not really viable.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
I understand what your saying xfactor..we just havent had any problems running titanium exhaust valves in john urist or dan saitz's heads for example. Heads come back in for a refreshen and clean up within a couple thousandths on valves and seats..We do have to run steel exhaust guides though.
Cool, do they have over standard back thicknesses? Or a typical valve taper profile?
About what EGT (at collector or primary) are they subjected to?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I dont doubt what you are saying, and you sound like a sharp guy. I just wanted to warn the lessor knowledgable ones reading that just because the add says titanium, doesnt mean it really is. IE. if the set of valves are $100, you can bet they arent Ti.
Oh, I do agree with you on that. There's misrepresentation all over the internet. It just seems to be condensed in many ebay adds. A little common sense goes a long way when buying used parts. Always ask for producion cards or specification cards that verify the information the seller is telling you. If something seems fishy it more than likely is and I would recommend everyone to avoid something you don't feel 100% certain about.

About what is that guy charging to rework valves, our of curiousity sake? I ask, because I know of two guys that do it locally and its not really viable.
I talked to him about a year and a half ago so I don't remember everything exactly. He wanted $300 to recoat all of the exhaust valves, and that's all I remember off the top of my head.

I still have the intake valves and will be sending them to him at some point more that likely to adapt them into a set of heads I'll be using shortly. I just need some money to get that project going again. I bought the exhaust valves planning on running them in a rather radical gen I small block application before I avoided that money pit all together and bought my Formula. I plan on running inconel exhaust valves in those same heads as I don't want to have to mess with them too much.

Quick Reply: Titanium valves?