Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam Review LS2 C6 (Comp vs Crane)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam Review LS2 C6 (Comp vs Crane)

To give a little history on the car it is a 2007 C6 Z51. The car had a comp 234/238 .598/.605 112+0 installed along with American Racing Headers, X Pipe with CATS and a Vararam. This combo made right at 400hp and ran consistent 119 mph at the track. Overall I was a little disappointed with this setup as I didn't feel I had the low end I wanted and she just didn't do as well as I expected at the track with the trap speed.

Fast Forward to this year. We added a GLM (Green Light Motorsports) ported LS2 intake and TB. This seemed to help the car with a little more top end, but still wasn't what I wanted. We then decided to swap the cam to see if we couldn't gain a little more down low and make some more top end power. We decided to go with a custom JPH cam from Crane. (234/242 .624/.605 112+3.5). I had some reservations at first as all we have used in the past were Comp cams with great success.

The car is night and day different. I have yet to put it on the Dyno but after tuning it, it is obvious from the cylinder pressure and manifold pressure readings the car is making a lot more power. (The SOTP meter tells us the same). From 3k rpms all the way to redline this thing pulls HARD! We did a few 140+ testing runs and were very impressed.

The car has a nice lope with the stock catback. You CAN tell there is a cam in the car, but we were able to smooth it out with some fine tuning of the spark tables. Drive ability of the car is fantastic. The original 234/238 was in my F-Body and you could feel the effects of the cam. The only way you know this is in the car is from the lope and small surging you experience when in the lower RPM range trying to creep along. 3.90+ gears would be recommended and take care of this problem.

All in all I am in love with the current setup. I can't wait to get her to the dyno and track to see exactly how much she picked up.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting specs on the crane cam. Glad it worked for you.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Teching In

So your saying theres a differents between a 112 and a 108.5 ICL... ?

Not sure about your comp vers crane title
Old 04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thechad
Not sure about your comp vers crane title
Whats wrong with the title? Many don't use crane cams due to "popularity" of the comp name. This is to show that with the proper specs, the crane is just as if not more effective then the comp. The lobes and everything between the two are different.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Sorry just razzin ya... would have liked it more if they were really similar cams, advanced the same and there was something about the actual profile that made it better SOP feeling. I still look forward to the actual numbers/times
Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Launching!

I used to work for west-tech and from our testing I think the lower installed ICL of the cam is why it feels so much better. The longer exhaust duration should have lost cylinder pressure down low not gained but the cam being advanced more will definetely build more low end and flatten your torque curve. You should pickup 10hp but your torque will most likely peak 500 rpm lower and be a flatter curve. I am not sure if the cam maker is the difference I thinks it the installation. These 2 cams really should use about the same tune.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Whats wrong with the title? Many don't use crane cams due to "popularity" of the comp name. This is to show that with the proper specs, the crane is just as if not more effective then the comp. The lobes and everything between the two are different.
You custom ordered a cam and had the car tuned for it. I don't believe that this a Comp vs Crane issue so much as you got a cam with specs better suited to what you want. If the specs were the same and the Crane gained power on the same day, dyno, conditions, etc. then I'd believe it was a case of one company's product being better than another.

I hope no one is mislead. Comp has given me great customer service and I have had succes with Crane's product. (Both with Ford and Chevy traditional smallblocks) As long as you do your homework and utulize knowledgeable resources you'll end up with a good product. I'm not a cam guru but I can sure call or e-mail one!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're comparing cams with very different valve events. Not very scientific at all.

Quick Reply: Cam Review LS2 C6 (Comp vs Crane)