6.85%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Diamond or Wiseco Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond or Wiseco Pistons

which on is better? i know Wiseco has been out longer. but alot of guys talk about diamond. so for boost. and long lasting. and daily driving. which is better?

and should i get them coated?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the coating.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

id have to say wiseco.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

I got diamond, good customer service if you ever need it.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

both are very good,and get them coated if your running a boosted motor
Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Obviously, I kinda favor Wiseco over Diamond. Wiseco seems to be on the ball as far as developments and improving their pistons. They get most of the sharp edges off the piston before they ship them to you, they also have started cutting a radius into the valve reliefs in attempt to minimize obstructions around the valve when open. They also coat the skirts, with a cute little logo on the sides...

But Diamonds are some nice pistons. Top tier for sure.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Check out this thread for pictures of Diamond..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=26139
Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have been working with Mike Panetta over at Diamond for the pistons in our LSX engines. Diamond jumped into the LS engines early so they are very familiar with the needs of most builders.

Robin
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Voted! -Brian Nutter-Wiseco Piston
Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Sponsor

I have a set of Wiseco Pro Tru pistons in a hydarulic roller, pump gas 388 (4.060 bore, 23 degree small block), that I just disassembled to freshen up. The engine has been together for about 9-10 years and is in an early Camaro that I drag race, autocross, and open track. I am guessing they have about 30-40K HARD miles on them, as I drive the car about 3-4K per year.

I fully expected to order a new set of pistons due to the abuse that I have put them through. The exact same pistons are going right back in with a hone and new rings. The pins, ring lands, skirts, all looked like an engine with 5K miles. To be honest, the machinist/engine assembler doing the work was not a big Wiseco fan, because he was sold on XYZ. He was surprised how good they looked and is now pretty much sold on Wiseco.

Thanks for making an excellent product. When I build my pump gas 427, I will stick with Wiseco.

Al
Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alnoe
I have a set of Wiseco Pro Tru pistons in a hydarulic roller, pump gas 388 (4.060 bore, 23 degree small block), that I just disassembled to freshen up. The engine has been together for about 9-10 years and is in an early Camaro that I drag race, autocross, and open track. I am guessing they have about 30-40K HARD miles on them, as I drive the car about 3-4K per year.

Thanks for making an excellent product. When I build my pump gas 427, I will stick with Wiseco.
Al
Knowing how abusive Al is, I don't think there's a better testimony to the quality of Wiseco pistons. That isn't to say there's anything wrong with Diamond, or any of the other reputable brands available, but I think Wiseco has a definite edge in terms of aggressively developing pistons specifically for LSx engines. I've used Wiseco pistons in the past and never had anything but excellent results. I'm building several 416 cubic inch engines using LS3 blocks, and they all have Wiseco pistons.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

We use a lot of Wiseco's with good success. Quiet, strong, and they come with killer skirt coatings and the tops are smoothed. They've moved to a 3mm oil ring this year for friction reduction. They were the first to offer the strutted design forging for LS engines....they don't need to do all sorts of milling to them to reduce weight, so there aren't any stress risers to worry about.

Here is a picture of the Wiseco Pistons:

So hopefully you believe me now Devin and we can get these things ordered for ya
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Launching!

If you want a decent piston then the diamonds will do. If you want the best then Wiseco is the way to go. We use Wiseco almost exclusively with the exception of the occasional "budget" build using Diamonds. Like mentioned before, Wiseco pistons are better quality, quiet, lightweight and their coatings are excellent.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I've run Wiseco pistons in a sbc circle track engine for 10 years and never had one problen with them. The last set I had put in were used for 6 seasons with rebuilds every two years.

I think the reason a lot of people in the LSx crowd haven't run them is because they didn't offer many "off the shelf" varieties up until the last year or so. I think a lot of people don't want to go through the hassle and wait to have a set of custom pistons made, so they buy from a company who can supply them immediately.

Their latest catalog has a great selection of domed & dished pistons for almost any cobination. Wiseco is definitely a great choice.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by briannutter
Voted! -Brian Nutter-Wiseco Piston

I am with this strange guy right here!

(Do not get me wrong though, Diamond puts out a nice piston but Wiseco for me)

Gray
Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WeberRacingEquipment
We use a lot of Wiseco's with good success. Quiet, strong, and they come with killer skirt coatings and the tops are smoothed. They've moved to a 3mm oil ring this year for friction reduction. They were the first to offer the strutted design forging for LS engines....they don't need to do all sorts of milling to them to reduce weight, so there aren't any stress risers to worry about.
Helps that you are also "down the street" from them too! Never hard to complain with that!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Helps that you are also "down the street" from them too! Never hard to complain with that!
That is a plus and one of the reasons we started our business with Wiseco back in '89!!

It just sucks cause I actually have to see, hang out with and act like I like Nutter from time to time !
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WeberRacingEquipment
That is a plus and one of the reasons we started our business with Wiseco back in '89!!

It just sucks cause I actually have to see, hang out with and act like I like Nutter from time to time !

I feel your pain with the "Hanging out with Brian" part. HAHA Talk about a sharp guy though!!! One of Judson's favorite people by far.

All the people at Wiseco are really top notch. Dealt with them many times, especially at multiple PRI's, over the phone, etc. with Brian and crew.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBronco
I feel your pain with the "Hanging out with Brian" part. HAHA Talk about a sharp guy though!!! One of Judson's favorite people by far.

All the people at Wiseco are really top notch. Dealt with them many times, especially at multiple PRI's, over the phone, etc. with Brian and crew.
Brian is a very bright guy, I have no idea how he crams all the info he knows in his head! I really don't think there is much that guy doesn't know about.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

common guys, you're making me blush. I'm buying at Coyote Ugly at the shootout this year for anyone that prints out this thread and brings it to me....limit of 10 beers or 10 swats...whatever comes first.

Quick Reply: Diamond or Wiseco Pistons