Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

I had to say something......

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I had to say something......

! Independent testing conducted with Vengeance Racing proved the new GenX Street/Strip 235 heads deliver the goods. Their pump gas, 440 c.i.d. LSX car with a mild hydraulic roller cam and our 235 heads made over 625 rear wheel horsepower. Other Trick Flow customers have experienced the same results.
Just read this on some of TF's literature.

C'mon, since when is
Actually, the camshaft is quite large. We just dont believe in big lift for big #s... Duration is in the 260s cam
mild????????<<<Direct quote from VRD

Not argueing that the car made the power or anything like that, but MILD??

I don't think so

Last edited by Stang's Bane; 04-15-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called marketing. A world where everything should be taken with a "mild" grain of salt.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this really warrant a seperate thread in the internal engine section. Really get tired of all the hate towards vengence. The guys do good work. Whether or not you believe that there cars make the power they claim is up to you. If you don't, then don't use their services. Occassionally, you can challange their results IN A THREAD that they (or their customer)
1) starts
2) boasts some new numbers

Come on man, get a life and stop attempting to nit pick at our sponsers. They are the reason why we have this great resource. JUST MY .02!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landonew
Did this really warrant a seperate thread in the internal engine section. Really get tired of all the hate towards vengence. The guys do good work. Whether or not you believe that there cars make the power they claim is up to you. If you don't, then don't use their services. Occassionally, you can challange their results IN A THREAD that they (or their customer)
1) starts
2) boasts some new numbers

Come on man, get a life and stop attempting to nit pick at our sponsers. They are the reason why we have this great resource. JUST MY .02!

I never challenged the numbers as a matter of fact I think I said that in my first post.

My problem has nothing to do with VRD, it has to do with the wording in TRICKFLOW's add. Wording like that will have people believing that this combo would idle like a kitten and be perfect for a DD and make the 625.

I just wanted to get a little truth in advertising, that is all. What we have here is a direct contradiction in what Vengeance said and what TFS said.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I run an LSX454 with over 600RWHP and 570RWTQ with the TrickFlow 235 heads. The cam is 253/259 duration, idles at 1,000 RPM and can be driven as a daily driver if fuel mileage wasn't an issue. However it will get 17+ at interstate speeds.

So I have to disagree with the idea it can't be done. The out of the box TrickFlows were installed here in Houston.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tcr98taws6
I run an LSX454 with over 600RWHP and 570RWTQ with the TrickFlow 235 heads. The cam is 253/259 duration, idles at 1,000 RPM and can be driven as a daily driver if fuel mileage wasn't an issue. However it will get 17+ at interstate speeds.

So I have to disagree with the idea it can't be done. The out of the box TrickFlows were installed here in Houston.
The cam you pulled out of your car was roughly the same size as the one in question, would you have liked to DD it? The cam you have now is roughly 10 deg. smaller, that is a significant difference..

I digress though, that is not my point. The point is that a cam of that size is not a mild cam. It is a large cam for a street driven vehicle. I didn't say that the heads could not make the power. There are plenty of dyno sheets to back up the claims.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree that it appears that TF is trying to make 625hp look average/easy by saying the cam is mild. but, terms like mild and aggressive, when refering to cams, need to be qualified by their final use, ie. dd, street, strip, or track. and u (stang's bane) did that in ur last post "It is a large cam for a street driven vehicle." TF did not!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
The cam you pulled out of your car was roughly the same size as the one in question, would you have liked to DD it? The cam you have now is roughly 10 deg. smaller, that is a significant difference..

I digress though, that is not my point. The point is that a cam of that size is not a mild cam. It is a large cam for a street driven vehicle. I didn't say that the heads could not make the power. There are plenty of dyno sheets to back up the claims.
OK, I would agree the cam with 266 duration was too steep. I thought you were also implying you couldn't get there with the TF's as well. My bad.

But you would be right about duration above .260 because with the .266 cam I could not leave the car in any gear (6-speed) between 2-3,000 rpm without serious bucking issues. The smaller .253/.259 cam cured that while still cranking out almost identical power.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tcr98taws6
OK, I would agree the cam with 266 duration was too steep. I thought you were also implying you couldn't get there with the TF's as well. My bad.

But you would be right about duration above .260 because with the .266 cam I could not leave the car in any gear (6-speed) between 2-3,000 rpm without serious bucking issues. The smaller .253/.259 cam cured that while still cranking out almost identical power.
That was all my point was.

BTW love your car, I plan on being in the Katy area next Friday night and should have my car with me and would love to take a look at yours!!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

TSP rules!

I was over on that non-pay site laughing my **** off.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
TSP rules!

I was over on that non-pay site laughing my **** off.
At what????
Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

At what????
You guys! I think the comment..."those look nice!" when referring to heads and the people don't know what they are looking at.

Its true though.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
You guys! I think the comment..."those look nice!" when referring to heads and the people don't know what they are looking at.

Its true though.

Yeah it is. very true.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it is. very true.
It's about quality flow - once more. You can flow big numbers on ports but it make be junk air. All CFM are not the same.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Mild is a relative term. I have this cam, and it works with my stock 3.42 gears. With 3.73 gears and unlimited funds I would drive this car daily excluding rain. My last two strokers had less cubes and smaller cams, but similar idle and drivability charicteristics, one actualy idled a bit worse. I wouldn't describe it as mild, but I know people willing to tolerate a good bit more in a car than I will.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MPM IV
Mild is a relative term. I have this cam, and it works with my stock 3.42 gears. With 3.73 gears and unlimited funds I would drive this car daily excluding rain. My last two strokers had less cubes and smaller cams, but similar idle and drivability charicteristics, one actualy idled a bit worse. I wouldn't describe it as mild, but I know people willing to tolerate a good bit more in a car than I will.
Thank you for posting. That is my point exactly.

Oh hell I have done forgot what my point is
Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

That was all my point was.

BTW love your car, I plan on being in the Katy area next Friday night and should have my car with me and would love to take a look at yours!!
We could probably hook up for awhile at some point. I should be in the area next Friday. Where and when?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Guys the term "mild" is open to interpretation. One mans "mild" may be radical to the next.

FWIW, We built 3 of these 440s using this same cam. Duration is big, BUT the LOBES are NOT aggressive, they are VERY mild lobes, and lift is UNDER .600..... Does mild and daily driven mean the same thing? Not to me...

MY definition of mild means the camshaft is not beating the **** out of the valves/seats/springs etc etc.

In the end, its all in the tuning.... I dont think I have seen any 600rwhp NA street cars run any better than the 440s we have built in the past year.

On a final note, rest assured there is NOTHING easy about making 600rwhp on pump gas thru cars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Guys the term "mild" is open to interpretation. One mans "mild" may be radical to the next.

FWIW, We built 3 of these 440s using this same cam. Duration is big, BUT the LOBES are NOT aggressive, they are VERY mild lobes, and lift is UNDER .600..... Does mild and daily driven mean the same thing? Not to me...

MY definition of mild means the camshaft is not beating the **** out of the valves/seats/springs etc etc.

In the end, its all in the tuning.... I dont think I have seen any 600rwhp NA street cars run any better than the 440s we have built in the past year.

On a final note, rest assured there is NOTHING easy about making 600rwhp on pump gas thru cars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ron, you would have to agree that you are in the minority that considers a 260+ hyd roller in a street car "mild".

Beleive me I know it is not easy to make the magic 600 number in a pump gas street car. The way that it was worded in the add though makes it seem that way though.

In the end it is just advertising, and like WKMCD said, it is all about the marketing.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

I would rather have a 262/270 .596/.596 113 LSA with VERY soft lobes/ramps than I would a 232/240 .647/.647 110 LSK/XER lobed camshaft any day of the week.

THATS what Im saying by mild.... Again.. "MY definition of mild means the camshaft is not beating the **** out of the valves/seats/springs etc etc."

Quick Reply: I had to say something......