Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

PRC Spring issue, seals not staying seated!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRC Spring issue, seals not staying seated!

Bought a new set of PRC dual valve springs off a member on here, first round I didn’t seat the seals and I smoked real bad. So I pulled the springs off reseated the same set of seals. Not really a huge surprise but after time my car started smoking again. I ordered new seals, took off the springs and found that only one of the sixteen seals was still seated. The seals on the exhaust side of cylinders 1 and 7 were completely destroyed. Well I put new seals on, seated them properly and for the first couple hundred miles everything was good. Now my car is smoking bad again! What could be causing my seals to become unseated? Has anyone else with PRC springs had this issue? Could the stub that my seals seat on be out of spec? I am really thinking of switching to the PAC beehive springs and re-using the stock hardware.

I installed another set of these same springs on a friends car, and he is having zero issues. So I know my technique works, just not on my car.

2006 LS2 GTO, stock heads.
This is with a Vengeance Racing VRX5 cam, XER lobes
Comp Hitech pushrods 7.400
PRC Dual Springs
Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

We have a customers car in for the EXACT same problem. He even has the exact same springs. I've gotta order a set of seals tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How were they installed? I had a set on a Nissan do this, they were aftermarket. I ended up going with the Nissan seals as the rubber was more compliant and they stayed on the valve guide, unlike the aftermarkets which came off and rode up and down with the valve. If you want to keep the springs, you might consider the GM seals (1st style, not the combined seat/seal that was introduced in 02)
Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The springs have nothing to do with this. This exact seal is used by many other companies. Make sure to install the seal using a seal driving tool. Hammer it down until it stops. You may get away with using a 12mm 12point socket, but this could damage the spring on top of the seal if not careful, also causing the car to smoke.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:45 PM
FormerVendor

This customer beat his in with a socket. Hopefully, us doing it the right way fix's it.

Although I haven't seen the PRC seals up close, I am assuming they are the same as most of the other standard aftermarket seal sets.

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
The springs have nothing to do with this. This exact seal is used by many other companies. Make sure to install the seal using a seal driving tool. Hammer it down until it stops. You may get away with using a 12mm 12point socket, but this could damage the spring on top of the seal if not careful, also causing the car to smoke.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

is this smoking all the time, or on decel or high RPM?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

If your using oil on the guide or the inside of the seal itself, next time try installing it "dry" where it fits over the valve guide. Still use oil on the valve seal surface itself, where it seals against the valve itself.

I use a seal installer, and on occasion have used an 11mm 12-point socket where clearance is tight.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
If your using oil on the guide or the inside of the seal itself, next time try installing it "dry" where it fits over the valve guide. Still use oil on the valve seal surface itself, where it seals against the valve itself.

I use a seal installer, and on occasion have used an 11mm 12-point socket where clearance is tight.
1/2"deep well works good to. Hey Joseph, are you an engine builder/dyno operator?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by JPH
1/2"deep well works good to. Hey Joseph, are you an engine builder/dyno operator?

I've built a few engines in my day.

I mainly do my own personal engines anymore, but I do finish out the TSP engines from shortblocks into longblocks and often further. Usually about 2-3 a week, sometimes more... along with my normal back-to-back installs.

As far as the dyno, I usually stay away from operating them, I'd rather be working on the mechanical part of the cars instead. I've done much parts testing with them though and still learn a lot of valuable information.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I've built a few engines in my day.

I mainly do my own personal engines anymore, but I do finish out the TSP engines from shortblocks into longblocks and often further. Usually about 2-3 a week, sometimes more... along with my normal back-to-back installs.

As far as the dyno, I usually stay away from operating them, I'd rather be working on the mechanical part of the cars instead. I've done much parts testing with them though and still learn a lot of valuable information.
Cool deal man, I could just tell buy your comments in some of these threads that you have your hands in the motor department. You guys bringing some nasty N/A motor stuff to the LSX shootout this year?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 AM

Yep, my entire job is working on LS motors all day in some sort, both at TSP and as a hobby.

I think we'll bring a 98 Camaro with a heads/cam setup this time to the LSx race, and probably using the same dyno motor from that engine dyno thread for fun. It should run fairly decent.

None of the other cars really fit into anything, although we may bring the Backhalved Camaro as backup, its currently setup for 1/8th mi. racing though.

Look us up if you make it there. You'll definitely see the Toter and Trailer.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Yep, my entire job is working on LS motors all day in some sort, both at TSP and as a hobby.

I think we'll bring a 98 Camaro with a heads/cam setup this time to the LSx race, and probably using the same dyno motor from that engine dyno thread for fun. It should run fairly decent.

None of the other cars really fit into anything, although we may bring the Backhalved Camaro as backup, its currently setup for 1/8th mi. racing though.

Look us up if you make it there. You'll definitely see the Toter and Trailer.
I just might do that man. That '98 is a mid 10sec car I think isnt it?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the heads up guys. I went ahead and bought some beehives. I have tried putting seals on twice now, using a deep well 12mm 12 point socket. Just the time and hassle of pulling all the springs to replace the seals it isn’t worth it for me anymore. If someone wants these, $200 shipped with everything minus the seals. I went with PAC 1518 beehives, and using the stock pieces. I hope to have these off this week sometime, last time only one seal was still seated. We will see how it goes this time around.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JPH
Cool deal man, I could just tell buy your comments in some of these threads that you have your hands in the motor department. You guys bringing some nasty N/A motor stuff to the LSX shootout this year?
Hey I just saw you are from FW! Where is this LSX shootout being held at? I grew up in FW and just recently moved to OH, but most of my family is still back there.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Commissar
Hey I just saw you are from FW! Where is this LSX shootout being held at? I grew up in FW and just recently moved to OH, but most of my family is still back there.
The shootout is in Memphis, TN october 9-12. A FW native, don't see that very often on here. LOL

Quick Reply: PRC Spring issue, seals not staying seated!