Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats missing on this LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats missing on this LT1?

I have absolutely no experience with the Gen V. this is the first I have ever even really looked at one so I was hoping if someone could take a look and point out what this 2016 Camaro engine/trans would need, either factory or aftermarket (and maybe a rough idea how much?) to get it complete, So I can see what i would be looking at if I decided to consider this as a viable drivetrain option. Also what I may be able to source as far as engine accessories from the older gen IV down, if anything. I was really looking at a LS3 drivetrain when I ran across this. But, the Gen V is now the present and the future,so....
Its from a burn so no extras with this, and no wiring or computer. I have computer/harness part covered with stand a alone setup. I would post this question in the swap section, but what I really need is Gen V expertise for determining the factory stuff thats missing so I can get an idea if its worth the price to get it in running condition. Guy is asking $6500, has 3,000 miles. Also I guess it could open up a way to replace some of the missing parts with aftermarket upgrades? maybe a better intake manifold? Not sure whats available or makes sense. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Whats missing on this LT1?-lt1.jpg   Whats missing on this LT1?-lt2b.jpg   Whats missing on this LT1?-lt3.jpg   Whats missing on this LT1?-lt4.jpg   Whats missing on this LT1?-lt5.jpg  

Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hawssie
I have absolutely no experience with the Gen V. this is the first I have ever even really looked at one so I was hoping if someone could take a look and point out what this 2016 Camaro engine/trans would need, either factory or aftermarket (and maybe a rough idea how much?) to get it complete, So I can see what i would be looking at if I decided to consider this as a viable drivetrain option. Also what I may be able to source as far as engine accessories from the older gen IV down, if anything. I was really looking at a LS3 drivetrain when I ran across this. But, the Gen V is now the present and the future,so....
Its from a burn so no extras with this, and no wiring or computer. I have computer/harness part covered with stand a alone setup. I would post this question in the swap section, but what I really need is Gen V expertise for determining the factory stuff thats missing so I can get an idea if its worth the price to get it in running condition. Guy is asking $6500, has 3,000 miles. Also I guess it could open up a way to replace some of the missing parts with aftermarket upgrades? maybe a better intake manifold? Not sure whats available or makes sense. Thanks
$6500 is too much in my opinion. Only from what I can see, you'll need intake manifold and throttle body. If you use an LS front end accessory drive, you have the get the necessary adaptors to get the LS water pump to work and the brackets for the alternator and power steering pump. That 8 speed trans requires the BCM to control it if you plan on using it. You'll need coil packs too. I'd pass pass on that deal and get an LS motor or get a 5.3 L83 truck motor for thousands less.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Yeah you really would have to want that set up to pull the trigger on it. I was thinking of seeing how motivated the seller is to sell it. Maybe 5K? (He doesn't seem know a lot).
But the asking price on a Camaro LS3 with 6l80e seems to be around 6500 to 8500. I am not sure how many actually sell at that price, but the cheapest price I have seen online (EBAY and Craigslist) is around 6500.00, the sticks are even more. But at that price the set up would be complete and have all the stuff missing on this unit plus extras. If you wanted an Lt1, and were going to change the front drive anyways, (which you kinda have to, at least partially, in a swap) and the intake manifold,headers, as well then it could make more sense.
In case the price turns out to be right, I did want to make sure there wasn't something I don't know about that appears to be missing, Like maybe on the fuel system? as I don't know what the engine normally looks like. Seems to be both intake and exhaust manifolds, front drive, coils, wiring, computer, throttle body. Anything else you see?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Is this for a swap into another vehicle?

Andrew
Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Yes I would be putting it into a 1970 Chevelle. Thats why I was thinking some of the parts that are missing would need to be changed anyways (front drive for power steering) or would be a nice to change anyways( exhaust manifolds for headers for performance). The stand alone setup from Speartech isn't cheap but it comes with the computer, wiring so that wouldn't be an issue. The intake is not much more then $200 from Gm, I think the throttle body is around $120.Not sure about the coils. But like I said before, I just want to make sure Im not missing some gotcha part that I don't know about or see.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

You do realize that most everything that pertains to a swap is different on the LT engine. Oil pan is different header flanges and position of exhaust is different, engine mount location and configuration are different.

Andrew
Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Yes I would be putting it into a 1970 Chevelle. Thats why I was thinking some of the parts that are missing would need to be changed anyways (front drive for power steering) or would be a nice to change anyways( exhaust manifolds for headers for performance). The stand alone setup from Speartech isn't cheap but it comes with the computer, wiring so that wouldn't be an issue. The intake is not much more then $200 from Gm, I think the throttle body is around $120.Not sure about the coils. But like I said before, I just want to make sure Im not missing some gotcha part that I don't know about or see.
If you are using the 8 Speed Auto, you'll need a BCM from the donor car to run it. Chevy Performance doesn't sell a controller for swaps. You could sell the 8 Speed or go manual, or buy a 4L70E with the LT1 bellhousing. Or you can buy the bellhousing buy itself and swap it out on a regular 4L70E. If you go auto, you'll still have to get a trans controller because Speartech's set doesn't control the trans and neither does Chevy Performance.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to spiral out of control on the cost before you even start to bump up the HP. This looks like a deal....but it's a money pit... Pass on it....it's simply not worth the headache if it's not a turn key pull out.... in this case.

Eddie
Old 10-21-2016, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Yeah, your probably right, it would have sold by now if it was a "deal" I did think I found what I wanted today, LS3 with 6 speed manual complete with all changeover stuff, $4000. the guy had it listed in my area but there was a mistake and instead of being around the corner, it is in Virginia which is 3,000 miles away from me! Damn
But back to this set up, is the trans computer not inside the trans like the 6l80e? And Speartech seems to advertise a harness for the 8l90e/Gen V, , but the listings are kind of jumbled up and hard to figure out. They offer different set ups from $1200 to $2100 without a clear definition of whats what, or at least it isn't clear to me, but the 8l90 is listed in the descriptions more then once.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, your probably right, it would have sold by now if it was a "deal" I did think I found what I wanted today, LS3 with 6 speed manual complete with all changeover stuff, $4000. the guy had it listed in my area but there was a mistake and instead of being around the corner, it is in Virginia which is 3,000 miles away from me! Damn
But back to this set up, is the trans computer not inside the trans like the 6l80e? And Speartech seems to advertise a harness for the 8l90e/Gen V, , but the listings are kind of jumbled up and hard to figure out. They offer different set ups from $1200 to $2100 without a clear definition of whats what, or at least it isn't clear to me, but the 8l90 is listed in the descriptions more then once.

Good Morning,

Walk away from this engine & transmission the *8L90E has an external controller, but it's dependent on an array of data points (Network) from sensors around the car... I forbid you to do this to yourself....it's simply not worth the headache.

Let's re-clarify, There is a "LS3 + TR6060 (SIX SPEED) transmission" for $4k in Virginia?? If you decide not to buy that, please forward me the link or information for that setup! I will have that shipped me asap, I don't care if it was in Canada.

Eddie
Old 10-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

these motors are ridic
Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Teching In

I agree about shipping the thing at 4 grand, and I am trying to work out a deal with him but being from Craigslist I am leery about how to purchase it. Its not like Ebay where you have some recourse if it never shows up. It doesn't seem like a scam as I have had no pressure from the guy to commit at all. But to make the deal work, first I got to get the guy to be willing to ship, then he has to ready it to ship, then I would need to pay him via paypal not cash,(still not as secure as eBay) then I would have to cross my fingers and hope it shows up, then hope its everything as advertised. Ive taken bigger risks but its not ideal. ill let you know what happens I should know by the weekend. Thanks for the help. But just for reference, is it true that no one has a easy way (like Speartech) to run a 8l90e with a Gen V as of right now?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:30 PM
Teching In

To clarify, and thanks to the input I did pass on the 2016 GenV/8l90 and my previous message about shipping/buying was in regards to the LS3/6060 in Virginia I found. That deal at 4k is half the price (or less) then all other listings I have seen for the same set up. And its what I really always wanted. It is from a 2010 Camaro so it is a little older then some of the other Camaro swaps I have seen but at that price thats A ok. Just need to find out if its the real deal.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:45 AM
Staging Lane

To clarify, and thanks to the input I did pass on the 2016 GenV/8l90 and my previous message about shipping/buying was in regards to the LS3/6060 in Virginia I found. That deal at 4k is half the price (or less) then all other listings I have seen for the same set up. And its what I really always wanted. It is from a 2010 Camaro so it is a little older then some of the other Camaro swaps I have seen but at that price thats A ok. Just need to find out if its the real deal.

This is going to come down to the person in Virginia if they are trust worthy or not. If you're gut instinct tells you something is fishy, then walk away from it as well. You don't owe anyone anything and you don't have to do business with someone that gives you a sketchy impression (not saying that the seller is) you don't want to lose $4,000.00 for any reason.

Try to see if you can find a person that's from LS1tech in that area of the seller to verify the engine & transmission and go from there.

Eddie
Old 10-22-2016, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree about shipping the thing at 4 grand, and I am trying to work out a deal with him but being from Craigslist I am leery about how to purchase it. Its not like Ebay where you have some recourse if it never shows up. It doesn't seem like a scam as I have had no pressure from the guy to commit at all. But to make the deal work, first I got to get the guy to be willing to ship, then he has to ready it to ship, then I would need to pay him via paypal not cash,(still not as secure as eBay) then I would have to cross my fingers and hope it shows up, then hope its everything as advertised. Ive taken bigger risks but its not ideal. ill let you know what happens I should know by the weekend. Thanks for the help. But just for reference, is it true that no one has a easy way (like Speartech) to run a 8l90e with a Gen V as of right now?
Speartech has a solution for Gen V engines and the 8L90...Look in the conversion section. They ate building a truck with a LT4 and 8L90...

Andrew
Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Teching In

I thought Speartech did. And is the trans computer inside the trans or external?
Thanks for the input on buying the LS3. Some good ideas. The seller has agreed to ship the LS3/6060 from VA. I am going to try and work out the details tomorrow. I have been researching Escrow services. Never used one before, but it looks like a good option. I found that there are scam Escrow services connected to C.L. purchases, where a scammer is actually both a fraudulent escrow service and also posing as the seller! But if I find the Escrow service then it should be O.K. Like Escrow.com. They come well recommended. They charge $130 for a 4K transaction, well spent for piece of mind. I will see how the seller responds to the idea.Anyone know what or why the pink tag is on the oil dipstick ?
Attached Thumbnails Whats missing on this LT1?-2010-camaro.jpg  
Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just be careful and don't be afraid to walk away from a deal that sounds too good to be true. Also do a Google search for that image. See if it was posted anywhere else.

$4k for a complete LS3/tr6060 sounds suspicious. Also keep in mind that it's not that easy to adopt a Camaro tr6060 to an older car. There is no slip yoke.

Andrew
Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I think it might be a scam, I can't be sure but the guy has an accent and is hard to understand, so i am going to pass. There is not a lot of pressure from the guy, but it is enough for me to pass. I tried to explain the escrow thing but between my bad hearing and his accent I didn't get very far! I searched the phone number and came up with one other listing for the same setup under some truck pulling message board, but he hadn't even listed a price which is kinda weird if your trying to catch a sucker you would think he would put a low price to get interest, maybe the low pressure sales deal is a tactic in itself. Back to square one!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Spertech offers LT1/8L90 wiring/ecm/harness ability

Quick Reply: Whats missing on this LT1?