Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello from Overseas

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Overseas

Hi to all.

I am new to LS1Tech and enter the side from Germany. I am reading since a while here learning more about the LS series engines.

I am planning a build of a 5.3 engine (based on the LM7 engine) for a none GM based car. Actually a Nissan Skyline R34 (hate those R6 engines in there ^o^)

In the moment I am planning the setup of the engine and trans and still have some ideas what I will use. But that is not all fixed and the project is a long term matter, for what I consider a bunch of time. Money is a matter that limits the project out of running fast, as mostly everything must come from the US, which takes time and additional money for shipping, tax and so on.

For the trans I am going for a T56 6-Speed, as this will match best to my needs (speeds here at the Germany Autobahn are partially unlimeted, so I am going to for a 200+ mph setup) for a long ratio trans and rearend. Clutch and flywheel setup is to be considered, as there are a bunch of options available.

For the LM7 engine I still have a Procharger F1R (yes it is big for that engine, but itīll work). The internals should be lightweight, so I am looking for some LS7 rods, that should be matched with some custom pistons from either Wiseco or Diamond. Diamond is second choice, as those I found by now are limited to 25 psi of boost.

Crank will remain OEM (read here that those cranks are quiet good for high HP range) balanced to the lightweight rods and pistons. The block I suggest to be pinned with a girdle add on, even it is a iron block. Heads will be ported and a blower cam is going into the block, too. I am thinking of a roller cam bearing, as the cam bearing bores are all more or less close to 60mm and I have a direct source of SKF bearing that may fit quite good. In my opinion a good idea to be have some more oil at the crank instead wasting that at the cam. Reason for that is the 7000 rpm limit, which is reached periodically.

Cause of the calculated numbers from the trans and rearend together with the possible speeds that are legel to drive here this would give a two hearts setup. It will be possible to "cruise" around at 1800 rpm at 75 mph in 6th gear, but also reach ~220 mph at 7000 rpm. And a six speed will give a lot space for fun.

The CPU will come from megaaquirt, the MS3. I am in the learning process with this open source CPU. It has just all you need and even more. I see this as a challenge, cause I had to learn to work with computer controlled vehicles since the late 90īs. But I am getting better by each trail :-)

Ok, in the moment I begin to search and buy the first parts. I August this year a friend of mine (he will build the same engine but with a turbo setup) will try to arrange some storage at a shipping company to some personal assistance, so parts can be ordered in the US for collection at one place and then shipped together overseas. That will hopefully lower the total shipping costs and make the purchase of parts easier, as there are a lot companies or private persons, who do not like to ship overseas, why ever :-)

Ok, about my self. I am closer to be 50 years old than a young fanatic. I the good times (the 80 to 90īs) I have had some Mustangs (71-73 models) and have build some engines and made restaurations on those cars. I stopped that to buld motorcycles for about 20 years as custom bikes, so there was no time for the cars. Now I am back to build my first custom car since the late 90īs.

And if I do such a build it will take maybe years to be finished, but if I am finished I always had a final with a perfect thing. I rather use more time to do it right, as I do make any compromises.

Ok, I will read on in the LS1Tech and not post much, because I am on the learning stage. But anyone welcome to ask whatever.

Thatīs all for the moment.

Greets

Dan

Last edited by Fairplay81; 03-22-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Dan welcome to the site. sounds like some good plans for the 5.3! many purists will flame you for throwing an ls in an r34. I am personally a huge fan of the RB engines, and have an RB26 sitting in the shed awaiting a build. I just hope the car you put this in is not a GTR!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Default Hello

Welcome!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

please post pics of your build. we love car ****
Old 03-23-2014, 03:50 PM

Thank you to all for the nice welcome :-)

@WS6inMIAMI

Nope it is a basic R34 that is in the moment equipped with a none turbo RB25 engine and A/T. As the car is basic and therefore the best for a build. The car never had too much stress on the body and the pre-owners have taken care of it. Ok, as it came from the UK it has the typical rust problems, but only in a small amount, really nothing to worry about. And I have my own developed rust remover gel, that works very good. So no hassle about anything.

In a 34 model GTR I never ever would place any other engine as the RB26, that would be a matter that is just horrible ;-) But into a normal body R34 it will be fun to place a LS based engine. And I do not care if there are some who will argue that this should not be done. I love V8 engines and as I had some before I just cannot find enough reason why not to go for a V8. And finally, they will hardly be able not to make funny faces, after they have learnd what a V8 engine can offer.

I loved most my old 351C engines, but that engine are no go for high boost, so the LM7 engine is far better and less heavy, too. But I must say that sound and performance of a 351 C with the 4V heads, 4bolt block, forged crankand rods, some high compression forged pistons, an more or less open intake, some work and other mods is a nice, really nice engine, too. The last one I had build had 432 HP NA at the crank with 98 octane standard gas (we have minumum 95 octane here, premium standard is 98 octane and there is 100-102 octane fuel available at brand name gas stations elsewhere, too) I just loved the 351C ;-)

Now it is time to go for a mondern style engine, and as I see this, there is nothing better as the LS based engine to buld a high rev boosted little monster.

@RJDio

As soon there will be something to show, I will post pictures. But as I have written in the moment I am searching for parts and possibilities to get this project running on a basis, that is realistic. So the next months are for preparing the solutions for purchase and stocking parts in the US and then shipping everything overseas. Real action will come by the winter and next year. To be realistic.

Greets

Dan

Last edited by Fairplay81; 03-23-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Camfreek1
Welcome!
Thank you Camfreek1,

know what? You own the one and only favorite car of my daughter ;-)

She loves the Camaro and since sheīs 9 years old she is saving money to be able to buy one, if she is 18 and allowed to make a drivers licence.

Guess what? I will support her, as I love that she is going to have the same hobby as I do.

Greets

Dan

Last edited by Fairplay81; 03-27-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Teching In

nice, cant wait to see the build!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 AM

Default Little Update

Hello,

as I told I am in the "purchasing parts stage". Some parts have arrived.

I bought a set of LS7 TI rods from an other forum user. They look great, except one that need to be machined as it has two small dents of one has a sharp edge that is above the surface level.

But not that much trouble about that, as I will have to machine all the rods to equal their weight and get a new surface protection coating anyway. Have found some suppliers of such service for the coating ... not a cheap thing but in need to protect the rods for contact wear problems, that comes specially with TI materials. Top end bearings and bolts will be replaced with those from Katech.

Thru the TI rods and the balancing of the crank there will be ~2.4 Kg less rotation assembly weight as with any steel rods. The forged Pistons weight will reduce the total even more, but I do not yet have any data to use.

The funny thing about the rods is, that they are produced in Germany by Mahle and now they came back to Germany ;-)

I got also some very good priced used heads (317 casting), that will match my supercharger setup as they have the biggest combustion chamber volume (71 ccm) and could be ported easily. I reach out for a 8+:1 basic compression ratio.

The next parts that will arrive are main and head studs and some shaft mounted roller rockers. All "made" by ProComp Electronics now named Speedmaster. I have seen that there have been quality issues some years ago for their parts, but not have found any actual negative postings, so I will give it a try.

That is all for the moment. Need to purchase more parts ^o^

Greets

Dan
Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome, you should start a build thread in the "Conversions & Hybrids" section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Plenty of threads on there about installing LS into all sorts of cars.

Quick Reply: Hello from Overseas