Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivin to work daily on the bottle

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivin to work daily on the bottle

OK guys let me first say I DID SEARCH OUT THIS AND COULD NOT FIND A CONCLUSIVE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION. the question is given my current mods what would i have to do to run between a 75-125 shot of no2 frequently without ANY reliabitly issues past that of me normally driving the car. please if you can be complete. so far ive learned (correct me if im wrong) i would need to remove hypertech's power tune and run 93 fuel. So i guess is my slp maf gonna present a problem if running N2o and will stock tunning be a good idea (not just ok but recomended or not) please keep into concideration its frequently ball sweat hot down hre ie. 94 deg and way way too much humdity. the kit ive been leaning twards is the NOS 05177 beacouse most comments so far say its simple and the safest kit avaible. DO YOU All Agree? and when i say i plan on running it EVERY DAY i really mean probaly 5 out of 7 days a week
thanks in advance for all your insights on this issure beacouse im very intrested in doing this but still a bit cloudy on the details and desperately looking for solid answers
Old 09-12-2003, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Drivin to work daily on the bottle

bottom line is n2o is very reliable when done right. YES take out hypertech tuning and probably the MAF too. (stock seems best) USe all the "safety" switches ie. fpss, window etc. and don't go fooling with bigger than recommended jets and you will be fine. As far as driving to work....just dont turn on the bottle and it will never let you down on the way. Your tranny will eventually need an upgrade/rebuild but it will with any type of racing.

ok there is my $.02
Old 09-13-2003, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the SLP 85mm MAF, but I had to get a MAFT to get my a/f tuned right. I heard the SLP 85mm MAF advances timing so that's prob why I had some a/f issues before the MAFT. So your best bet might be to just use the stock MAF. If you get the dry kit make sure you descreen whichever MAF you go with. My car is my daily driver. The bottle usually stays closed unless I know theres a chance I might be racing. I prob spray a few times a week and usually go thru a 15lb bottle within 3 weeks. I completely agree with fastlif about using all the safety's. Stay away from the advanced timing of the HPPIII or the air temp module. Make sure you get copper plugs( NGK TR-6). I have mine gapped at .035. hmmm...can't really think of anything else. If your worried about running too big of a shot get your car dyno'd with wideband o2 so you can see where your a/f is. You just want to make sure you don't spray while your running lean. If you get the 5177 kit make sure you get a bottle warmer...you'll def need it to keep the pressure up. IMO the 85 degree temp sensors that come with the blanket suck. I snipped mine off and just turn the heater off when it gets to a certain pressure. I know someone was selling the 95 degree sensors which are supposed to turn the heater off around 1000-1050 psi. A purge kit and also a n2o guage for the cockpit is a good idea.
Sry for rambling on... good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually now that I think about it I think NX has a pressure regulated sensor for their bottle heater that I have heard alot of good things about. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in with some good info and help you out.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

OK WHAT MENT WAS I PLAN ON RUNNING N20 LIKE 3-5 DAYS A WEEK ON MY WAY TO WORK JUST FOR FUN. ALSO what system do you all reccomend (AND WHY) for the best peformance and reliabilty. and just to sum it all up you all are saying use stock tunning and maf, run tr-6 plugs and use all the safetys avaible along with a purge and bottle warmer. With all this running a 100 shot lets say 4 times a week am i gonna be reliable also how much do you all tis will cost?
Old 09-13-2003, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all of the above info. I run a NOS 125hp 5177 and have it set-up so that anytime I start car N2O is on line and ready to run, if I floor it. No thinking is bottle open or switches on? I totaly agree with the re-tune even though NOS says stock-tune is ok, all cars are different and better safe than sorry. I am going to step-up to 150 dry real soon.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

If your looking at running it that often I would look at a supercharger or turbo. No bottle to keep refilling and its always on.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Madboost, yea, that is the only real problem: refills. However, I choose to stick with the #15 bottle (even though it does'nt fit vettes well) just for the reason of less refills.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to play with the hp that much I would go with some sort of FI. N2O refills are expensive, (even as I buy in bilk and fill my own) I have found that after using 5-6 pounds out of a 15# bottle performance drops even with a heater and plenty of pressure. I keep several bottle filled with me at the track because it goes WAY too fast.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

ok cool btw how much would all this cost (generally) im thinking about 1k installed am i right or even close?? and generally how much does it cost to get a bottle filled??
Old 09-16-2003, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

15# bottle cost me $62 big uns, about a week ago. About $3.75 a pound around here.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

same here....3.75 cheapest I've found in Houston.
He usually puts bottle in freezer for an hour, then fills...gets around 18 lbs in my 15lb bottle.
First hit is the $hit!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

CRAZY all well thats not bad imo for the fun youll get
Old 09-19-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone else , also with a dry shot will i run into problems with the maf??? ive heard sometimes it ***** the sensor up then that causes you a\f to go wacky and could cause you to go real lean and detnoate, is this a real concern with the 5177 kit??
Old 09-19-2003, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

even if you werent gonna get a bottle and you have a V8, DONT put below 93 in ur tank cuz it will degrade performance... i know nothin kbout N2O so...
Old 09-19-2003, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Actually now that I think about it I think NX has a pressure regulated sensor for their bottle heater that I have heard alot of good things about. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in with some good info and help you out.
Yes that is correct.