LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starts runs, then wont start back up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starts runs, then wont start back up.

cliff notes: car starts runs decent, but once warmed up, if left for more than 5-10 minutes will not start if i try to re-start.

so here's the story guys, i installed long tubes and got my cat back welded up, and the car had been giving me a little trouble but i had thought it might have been my spark plugs, which got changed with the long tubes to NGK TR5's. so the car needs a tune to cut out the rear 02 sensors and the EGR (air has already been deleted). well i let the car warm up for about 15-20 minutes temp is about 180, so i go drive around and it drives strong idle is good, not choppy or anything. so i drive around for about 20 minutes come home and park the car, talk to my dad for a little while thinking the car is alright now, well i go back out to start and it cranks and cranks and cranks like the little starter than could, and i can smell gas like its getting fuel, but it just seems like it doesnt have spark. cause it will crank for ever but never ignite the fuel and turn over on its own.

now i already put washers behind my ICM to space it out some so it doesnt get as hot and i read that can sometimes intermittely cause the car to not start, but it still does the same thing as mentioned above, i replaced the opti like 5k miles ago and really dont want to have to buy a new opti again and pay to have someone replace it, as i just did like 7 months ago.

just wondering if you guys thought it was the opti, or maybe i just need a new ICM all together? i really can't afford to do both right now so if i got the ICM and it wasn't it then i'd have to wait another two weeks, same as if i got the opti and it wasnt that.

now there is a guy locally who said he'd do my opti for a $100 and im extremely thankful he is willing to do that as it is usually alot more to install that bastard, but i was thinking on just getting a new cap and rotor because i definitely dont have enough for a brand new opti and the 100 to install it.

please help guys i wanna get my car running strong, cause i havent got to feel the full effect of the long tubes with my cam yet!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

anyone?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

anyone? does that sound like the ICM is going out or the Opti? i figured it would be the ICM since the opti i would figure would either be a yea it works or a no it doesnt work at all kinda thing.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

u my friend have a problem that no lt1 professional can figure out. jk man i hope someone can chime in on this weird *** situation.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned

maybe im reading this wrong but it fires when the car is cold correct? and woulnt when its warm? and you dont have the o2's hooked up and no tune deleting them? if so it sounds like thats your problem once it gets in open loop its trying to read the o2's and not starting..

i icould be wrong but thats my thoughts
Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28
maybe im reading this wrong but it fires when the car is cold correct? and woulnt when its warm? and you dont have the o2's hooked up and no tune deleting them? if so it sounds like thats your problem once it gets in open loop its trying to read the o2's and not starting..

i icould be wrong but thats my thoughts
well i have the first set of O2's on just not the o2's that are stock after the cat cause obviously i dont have cats and the only bung is for the first set of o2's.

and can you explain the open loop thing a little better ive read about it a few times but i could never completely grasph the concept.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Banned

closed loop is when the car is cold and the pcm doesnt take alll the readings that it would in open loop(when car is at running temp. im not sure what readings it takes and doesnt take but i know that o2's and iac are 2 of them
Old 10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like you should call top gear man and see what they say. Whoever tuned ur car could probably help you out with whats goin on.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

well i let the car sit and get warmed up to about 180* in front of my house so by that time it should have been in open loop. and it was running fine then and i even took it for a drive after that and it drove fine until i came home parked, went inside talked came back out and poop no start.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

well with the issues that i had with my iat sensor it would run until i turned it off and tried to start it. so im still calling o2 sensors
Old 10-18-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey bud!! sounds like a coil to me...look for arcing out the sides of the coil and burnt spots around the metal ground piece..i really think its your coil though...what kind of coil you have?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jarretthise
hey bud!! sounds like a coil to me...look for arcing out the sides of the coil and burnt spots around the metal ground piece..i really think its your coil though...what kind of coil you have?
sorry for taking so long guys, long weekend! haha.

well when you say coil what do you mean exactly? my opti only has like 5-6k miles on it, and i spaced out the ICM from the block with some washers, but im not exactly sure what you mean coil wise?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28
well with the issues that i had with my iat sensor it would run until i turned it off and tried to start it. so im still calling o2 sensors
so are you saying my o2 sensors are bad? cause i'd much rather replace those than the opti!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

bump please help guys
Old 10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

does that sound like it could be my ignition coil?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

anyone? common guys someone has to know about this. . .
Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

I'M FEELING HATED... please guys before i just go some beersssss and drive the car off a cliff and just call it in stolen.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Know anyone that has a KNOWN working ICM/Coil for you to swap in?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Know anyone that has a KNOWN working ICM/Coil for you to swap in?
no i wish haha, i actually went and bought a new Coil last night and i will be swapping that in to my car either today or tomorrow, gotta see if today i have enough time before the metallica concert!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: starts runs, then wont start back up.