LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

I went to jump in my car this morning to go to work--it always takes a few rotations to actually get cranked but this morning it just wouldn't start. The car had oil pressure and plenty of battery--it kept turning over but just wouldn't start. Whenever I would turn the key back to off it would fire once but then just quit. Does this sound like a bad starter or bad opti or what?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...267&highlight=

do you have fuel pressure? do you hear the fuel pump turn on with the key in the on position with out trying to crank it over? a hose in the fuel pump came loose on mine. easy fix
Old 10-18-2008, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is a good way to get to your Pump bro..
Some people say "never cut you car.." Fck that ****, I can change a Pump in 20 min.
I had an issue with the Fuel Level Sender hanging on something, and it took me about 15 min to fix it.

I like that post in your thread Hawk about the rear-mointed Oil Pump, I laughed a little when I saw that.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Nice one merv! One day when I'm ready to go all out and just race then we'll spend some time removing all the unnecessary things like the floor and wiring harness! I really hope it isn't the fuel pump...
Old 10-18-2008, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Yes, some people are real touchy w/ the fuel door mod. However, not sure where I saw it, but one company is selling a really nice fuel access door. Anyways, you could have someone cycle the key while you listen near the tank for the fuel pump. If you do not hear it, you could tap on the tank and may be able to get it to kick on (easier and better if you could get at the top of the tank to tap on the lid).
Old 10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

The car ran great until when I parked it last night...I did hear a pop like I had hit something but I just wrote it off thinking that I had either hit something or it was just the creaks and groans the car always makes. I'll have to look at it either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if it is the fuel pump just cut the floor. the sheet metal holds not much structural support and it makes it a lot lot lot lot easier. i know first hand, i don't want to cut in the my Firehawk, but i did anyway and only took about an hour. dropping the rearend and tank i hear can be an all day job
Old 10-18-2008, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Yea man, I would definately check the Fuel Pump, what you describe is what mine did exactly when it went out. It sputtered, fired once on the last turn before I killed it, then had nothing..

Originally Posted by Dendyc
Nice one merv! One day when I'm ready to go all out and just race then we'll spend some time removing all the unnecessary things like the floor and wiring harness!
That's when it gets fun..

When my AC System **** out, I grabbed a 6-pack, the Dremel, and an hour later had it all gutted..I didn't give a **** what was there, no body would want some old-*** AC parts, so it all came out in pieces, and went to Aluminum Scrap.

Last edited by the_merv; 10-24-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

I tried tinkering with the car just a few ago when I got home. It's now sputtering about 5 times after I turn the key off. I can smell fuel but don't know what to listen for as far as the fuel pump goes. Should I be listening from under the car or from the hatch or what? If it is a pressure line popped off or something what is the easiest way to do it?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you turn the key to "on position", should be able to hear pump from inside the hatch or from under the car nere the fuel tank, it should make a "Humm sound or whinning sound" for couple seconds. If you dont hear anything then your pump is not coming on.

If you can get someone with a fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure it will also tell you if the pump is working.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I'll check it out in the morning. Hopefully the pump is still working...I'm hoping the relay just gave up the ghost or something--I really do not feel like dealing with that crap on my birthday (tomorrow) LOL!
Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

WTF..

It's mine tomorrow too..
Old 10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Happy birthday Merv! It's my 21st!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rich2279
Yes, some people are real touchy w/ the fuel door mod. However, not sure where I saw it, but one company is selling a really nice fuel access door. Anyways, you could have someone cycle the key while you listen near the tank for the fuel pump. If you do not hear it, you could tap on the tank and may be able to get it to kick on (easier and better if you could get at the top of the tank to tap on the lid).
that kit ur talking about is on ebay for like 30 bucks..I'd say forget that just go get some sheet metal ,screws and spend less than 20. I say doing the trap door method is a great idea and i did myself last weekend. Im glad i did it cause my pump wasn't working so i had to take back out which took 5 min tops
Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dendyc
Happy birthday Merv! It's my 21st!
Drink it up..

It's my 25th, discount on the Car insurance..
Old 10-22-2008, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

i say it is the icm my car did the same thing when it whent bad if you smell fuel then obviously your pump is working and for a fuel pump to work the day before and then not work the next day is highly unlikely it can happen but is unlikely, i would try the icm
Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I got some time to spend with the car tonight...

I can hear the fuel pump cycling on--its actually pretty loud--so since my floater is busted I thought maybe it was actually out of gas--added about 3 gallons but still nothing the car is no longer turning over easily...the lights fade whenever ignition is on--not sure if the battery is drained now or what. As soon as the key is returned to accessory/off all of the lights are on and there is full power..doesn't seem to be weak though.

What are you guys thinking?
Fuel filter blocked?
Bad battery?
Bad ignition?

I really am not that great at diagnosing problems--just curious as to what you all think
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Bump.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe something come loose near the Starter..

Man that car is an electrical nightmare.. I'm sure thats what you don't want to hear, but when we were looking at it, there was alot of stuff that was wierd..
Old 10-24-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your battery is prolly getting low and your pump may be coming on but that doesnt mean its pumping 40 lbs through....if it doesnt have 40 to 60 your car wont run....if the motor smells like fuel odds are your getting fuel....i think it could possibly be your opti too

Quick Reply: Car won't start