LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

F'in airbag light, AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F'in airbag light, AGAIN!

I'm really gettin tired of this BS. My airbag light came on again, it took abit more time for it to do so this time. Last repair was to change out the BCM, I guess that was not it, or maybe it went bad? All I know is I'm fed up with this problem. The car has 27K on it now, I bought it cert. Used at 5K miles so I doubt the lemon law could help me. Oh yea this will be the 5th time its been in for this same type of problem. What should be my next plan of attack? I really like the car, and really can't trade it off just yet, maybe in 2 more years. I'm thinking I might need a lawyer for at least some advice?! Let me know what you all think I need to do. I really just want to make sure its safe to drive if I do ever get into an accident, that's why I made sure I found one with the side curtin airbags and all.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

just keep racking up service and save the paperwork. i suppose it could be a wiring short or somethin thats causing it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lawyer??? now don't shoot me but I have built and help design the homelink and airbag light housings on all the GM cars that have these two features, the GMT-900 project. I helped built the prototype parts and made modifications to the fixtures to ensure they passed heat tests etc over a summer before college.

The part is literally worth about 1.25 and comes from China, it always had problems when my father(automotive engineer for interior lighting/fixtures) tested them.

This part is cheap, if they say it ends up being the actual light itself, it is a small rectangular black box with 2 small bulbs in it, let me know....my dad still has some of the old original test parts from the mock-up period. Those parts were made right here in Michigan, by JCI (Johnson Controls Inc.).

Also it could be the pressure switch in the seat, i think you said they fixed that though. I personally think it is a shitty execusion, they should have put more R/D into it to come up with a better way to try and save you a $1200 air bag.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I assume they checked all the connections and everything too? Something as simple as the dash airbag light above the radio being unplugged will throw the service airbag light. So I'm sure there are other small things along the line in the system that could do it. I would hope they would have checked all that stuff first though.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

steering wheel controls still working? I'm having a air bag light issue right now as well, I also have no steering wheel controls either, I checked all the connection and fuses that are related still the light remains on. I think it's the spring that's located within the steering wheel to provide power ect to everything in there. I'm no expert on the topic never dealt with it myself either but just searching online about airbags in impalas this seems to cause issues form time to time...

anyone have any clue on if what I just said is true or to use correct wording for what I said.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just had my SDM(I forgot the name but its the AirBag/ Seatbelt brain) replaced. this was the 6 time I brought it in for that. So hopefully this is it.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure bout the steering wheel controls, hardly ever use em. Im going to make another appointment today. The light was off after work yesterday? go figure. but I did call onstar, and there is surely a code in the puter somewhere?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine goes on and off very frequently. I just don't care anymore.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I decided it really dosen't make a bit of difference anymore. I rather have my car then give it to the uncapable hands of GM to **** something else up. The light comes as goes as it pleases! ******* light! Maybe I should just take out the bulb? NOT!

Quick Reply: F'in airbag light, AGAIN!