Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need HELP FAST!! Please read

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need HELP FAST!! Please read

I just put on my Stg 1.5 heads from Texas Speed and everything started fine and runs for a while fine but you can tell it needs a tune.

Well after a while of running/driving it goes into this horrible running like crap stage and dies, when you try to keep going in gear it feels like it is horribly bogged and when its in park or neutral it feels the same and both situations give a nasty clatter and the check engine and service engine soon lights are on.

I figure this is from the added air to the engine and no tune to fix it and i also took my EGR system out cause i do not care for emmissions and i have places that will register it. Could these problems be caused from the EGR not being deleted and the added air?

How do i tune for the added air and how do i delete the EGR from the system?

I need suggestions as soon as yall have ideas cause i am in the dark and i need the car running, by the way i use LS1 Edit for my tuning.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

double check the ground on back of the drivers side head in the rear, good luck
Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

the ground is good but i will check again. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, just adding heads with the stock cam shouldn't require much of any major tuning at all. Sounds like a mechanical issue of some sort.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you unplug your O2 sensors when doing the head swap?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

No i think i got the O2's plugged back in but i will double check where do they plug into the engine wiring(im not sure if i messed with them or not). I think i might be getting vapor locked cause i didnt bleed the fuel system after reinstalling it and havnt tried that yet.

I didnt think that the heads would be such a difference that the O2's couldnt take care of on their own. Also remember i have my EGR unplugged and removed and not deleted from the system yet so i think it is a little of the EGR and alot of the fuel system needing to be blead.

Ill keep yall posted on what happens with it. Any suggestions will be appreciated though.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

They can.. unless not plugged in or plugged in reversed (left on right, etc)
Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well there is really only one way to plug each side in and i dont think that the left would be able to reach the right (right?).

I hooked my laptop to it and it said it was running rich, could the heads which i have not tuned for and provide more air be causing it to run rich? I figured that it would run lean but a tech at the shop i was at told me that they computer is dumping fuel in to try to compensate for the extra air and its just too much.

By the way my check guages light comes on after it runs for about 10 min's and my oil pressure is low but when i give it gas it goes back to normal, also there is steam coming from my valve covers and crankcase(not around the gaskets).

The car runs fine for about 10 min's after a cold start but after that you can tell it kind of changes and it starts running like crap then after that doesnt want to stay running.

Last edited by usaf_hess; 10-23-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it throwing a misfire code? Also how rich is it and what are your IAC counts when it starts running bad?
Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im not sure how rich it is running and there were no misfire codes thrown. I am not sure what IAC is or even how to read them.

On a side note i need a new battery for tyhe lep top so it wasnt long before it went dead(about 2 min) so i couldnt get alot of info for myself.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
I just put on my Stg 1.5 heads from Texas Speed and everything started fine and runs for a while fine but you can tell it needs a tune.

Well after a while of running/driving it goes into this horrible running like crap stage and dies, when you try to keep going in gear it feels like it is horribly bogged and when its in park or neutral it feels the same and both situations give a nasty clatter and the check engine and service engine soon lights are on.

I figure this is from the added air to the engine and no tune to fix it and i also took my EGR system out cause i do not care for emmissions and i have places that will register it. Could these problems be caused from the EGR not being deleted and the added air?

How do i tune for the added air and how do i delete the EGR from the system?

I need suggestions as soon as yall have ideas cause i am in the dark and i need the car running, by the way i use LS1 Edit for my tuning.
Not to familiar with edit I use Hp tuners to tune, the key to idle is your Base idle airflow vs. ECT you shouldnt have to make big changes, small steps dont overshoot. Most of your work will be in your idle airflow section,but many other tables to Iac park postion table, may have to adjust a little timing.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is base idle air flow, ECT and how do i adjust it, what is IAC park position and these things?

By the way the AIR pump is located under the driver headlight right, what exactly is its purpose is it part of the EGR?

Last edited by usaf_hess; 10-26-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok i tried something with the tuning but i cant put it in the car just yet cause my lap top batt. wont stay running long enough.

If 1.00 means 1 degree then i advanced timing in all parameters by 1 degree and i adjusted air in the computer up by 5.00 in base idle air in park and drive. I hope when i get my lap top running this will give me a decent result but when i get home i will post actually what i did.