Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sr7 install in ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sr7 install in ws6?

anyone have an sr7 installed in a trans am? please post pictures of it. How much did you pay to install it? I have quotes from 300-500. I do already own the system (sr7 plus shifters) but thinking about getting rid of it if install is going to cost that much.

I know WhiteBird00 on here has it...if you check the thread can you please post pictures of yours? I thought I saw them before but I can't seem to find them :o
Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The only photo I have is of the front laser detector:

It's the black thing below the screaming chicken. I wanted it to be as inconspicuous as possible.

The radar detector is mounted under the bumper just in front of the air dam. Radar signals bounces off everything (including the road surface) so it still picks up any signal very well from underneath. The rear laser detector is mounted to the license plate. I didn't get the laser shifters but I suppose I would have mounted them in the openings under the front turn signals.

The remote is wedged in the space between the dash and the front edge of the center console:

Mine isn't a Passport SR7 - it's a Beltronics RX75 Pro but they're almost identical except for some differences in the remote head.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-30-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

that looks pretty good.

i was thinking of getting a laser jammer but then i heard that you would probably have to mod/cut your bumper and i just didnt bother on trying to do it anymore.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

It's the black thing below the screaming chicken. I wanted it to be as inconspicuous as possible.

The radar detector is mounted under the bumper just in front of the air dam. Radar signals bounces off everything (including the road surface) so it still picks up any signal very well from underneath. The rear laser detector is mounted to the license plate. I didn't get the laser shifters but I suppose I would have mounted them in the openings under the front turn signals.

The remote is wedged in the space between the dash and the front edge of the center console:

Mine isn't a Passport SR7 - it's a Beltronics RX75 Pro but they're almost identical except for some differences in the remote head.
Those are the pictures I was looking for thanks. If you mount the radar under the bumper and your car is lowered that could cause problems don't you think? what other places would be good for mounting it? i was thinking about doing the shifters under the turn signals like you mentioned. Also it doesn't seem like there is enough space where you mounted your actual unit inside the car. I think it looks good there. Do you think the v1 concealed display could be mounted beside the traction control button? (my car doesn't have traction) Thinking about getting rid of this entire system to get the v1 with concealed display.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by srtricky
Those are the pictures I was looking for thanks. If you mount the radar under the bumper and your car is lowered that could cause problems don't you think? what other places would be good for mounting it? i was thinking about doing the shifters under the turn signals like you mentioned. Also it doesn't seem like there is enough space where you mounted your actual unit inside the car. I think it looks good there. Do you think the v1 concealed display could be mounted beside the traction control button? (my car doesn't have traction) Thinking about getting rid of this entire system to get the v1 with concealed display.
quick question do you have alot of laser where you live? if not then yes teh V1 will be a better investment for you.

i have a v1 and I love it and so do many other v1 owners.

theres some laser here in austin but still most of the radar being used is k and ka.
so it would just depend if theres a lot of laser where you live or not.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by srtricky
The only other place I considered mounting the radar sensor was in the lower right hood nostril (the left side needs to be open for the hood latch release). But I didn't want to spend the time fabricating a bracket to properly position it. Another possiblity is to mount it vertically somewhere and use the reflector plate that comes with the kit. Putting it under a lowered car isn't a problem as far as signal reception but it could be a physical damage problem with speed bumps and parking at curbs.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

id charge at least 250-350$. I did mine on my camaro which came with 1 radar/laser detector, 2 front laser diffusers, and 1 rear laser diffuser. I can show you where my equipment is...... but the point of the matter is that it takes time to tear ur car apart to run all the equipment..... let alone taking apart the grill of my car and the rear filler panel.
Attached Thumbnails sr7 install in ws6?-picture-021.jpg   sr7 install in ws6?-pictures-uploaded-9.3.07-052.jpg  

Last edited by ultraz; 11-01-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

Thats bad ***!!!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

sold the sr7 going to go with a v1 instead.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Launching!

WHy dont you guys just have it on the radar detector right in the windshield. That way its easier to detect radar from front and behind.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
WHy dont you guys just have it on the radar detector right in the windshield. That way its easier to detect radar from front and behind.
because some of us hate having crap hanging near their rear view mirror and theres speculation that Tinted windows can interfere with radar. Lastly, Laser diffusers should have a clear view of the road.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Besides, I pick up radar from front and rear just as well with the detector mounted outside the car.

The V1 is the only detector I know of that has both front and rear antennas built in and that is only so it can display the arrows. Otherwise, it is unnecessary to have a rear facing antenna for radar. Radar reflects off of almost any surface so a good detector can pick up signals from behind by reading the reflections off other cars, overpasses, road signs, etc. In fact, once you get experienced using a detector, you can tell approximately where the signal is coming from by the way the detector alerts.

Also, a remote detector is almost theft proof (since they'd have to take the car apart to get all the pieces). Radar detectors and GPS attached to the windshield seem to be a favorite targets of thieves.