LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Question about Projector Halo Headlights?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Projector Halo Headlights?!

i want to purchase these sometime after christmas and i have a question about the bulbs they ship with them. What kind of bulbs are they, not size, but the compnay who made them.. i want the brightest halogen possible.. i got the piaa bulbs on my car now, fogs and lights and they are great..
Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have them, they were some cheap H3's. I tossed them out in seconds! Before those headlights arrived, I already had an HID kit ordered.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meh, unless you can find PIAA's for cheap they're not worth it you might as well just get an HID kit. I had PIAA's before I went HID and while they were a nice little improvement over stock they weren't anything special IMO. I still have them in my fogs. I lucked out and found them for 35 bucks a piece so for that they were worth it.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

It would be beneficial to swap out the bulbs in the projector headlights for something better. The eBay projectors come with H3c bulbs which are traditionally for foglights, but read up here despite the flaming you will get: www.hidplanet.com
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

yea piaa bulbs are not cheap.. the reason i dont want to get HID is rumor has it that i wont pass inspection hear in PA b/c there illegal to be on any car that didnt come with them.. not sure if this is true but heard it from some sources.. I dont have a buddy who can pass my car for me so im out of luck on the illegal crap, catlass downpipe, etc in PA.. so i just want to get the best bulb possible and it sounds like the ones they ship are just crappy one u find in pepboys, am i correct?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as inspection goes(I'm in PA too) I guess it varies where you take it. I take mine to a reputable Chevy dealer and they didn't say anything about them when I had my car inspected. I guess there is the possiblity that since I have a 5k kit that's not really blue at all they might have just not even paid attention and didn't really notice that I had them. Then again, since I don't have the projectors, for me it would be easy to take 2 seconds and swap the HID's down to the fogs if I thought they would give me a problem.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

what part / county you live in? i live in montgomery county which is about 45 mins from philly. Whats wierd is each county has different rules.. Like carbon county has no emissions tests, so you can have a catlass downpipe and still get a sticker. i wish there was some place on PA website that went over all the illegal crap per county.. i would love to do HID, just dont want to spend the money and then get blasted by the dealer
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

just a thought, but how about go to the dealer and ask them the ruling on lights, whats legal. whats not, or if they even care...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in Berks. And you could always just put your stock bulbs in for the inspection. Sounds like a bitch but it would only take you 5 min to unhook the kit(still keep everything in) and throw in the bulbs that came with the lights. It's only once a year and IMO worth the 10 min total if you're concerned about it.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Launching!

One of these days they will make some damn projectors that I can put HIDs in for the GXP...

Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could have them now. Just a matter of either spending ALOT of money on a custom retrofit or having the ability/time to take yours apart and make them yourself. Although atleast in both of those situations you could have projectors actually made for HID's.