Vortech s trim supercharger
edelbrock headers
borla catback
cats are still on the car
crane cam hi-6tr ignition
plugs, wires other little stuff
12 bolt rear end
4.10 gears

Heres my deal. My tranny is being rebuilt as we speak to hold the power i have plus some. The tranny that was in the car that blew was a art carr extreme th-700r4 that was 8 years old with a 3k stall converter. I just bought the car and it halls *** but is not very fun on the street. After consulting with a guy form summit about this he state that i should go with a 3.42 for the use i want(i live pretty far from the track and will probebly only be there 5-6 times a season) so street driving will be mostly what it is used for. The salesman also stated that if i have a 4 series carrier 12 bolt then the highest i can go is a 3.73.

Is this true? And if so, is it worth changing out the 4.10 for the 3.73? If thats not the case and i can go higher, then should I go with the 3.42's or go with something a bit higher?

Thanks if you took the time to read this and I look forward to your help.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO stick with the 3.73. Bad *** gear. I would only put on 3.42's if I drove a ton of hwy miles.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

id put 3.73s in it but thats just me... personally for what little gain you will get by going with 4.10s you will loose with your highway mpg. if its a track or weekend driver and you dont care about gas then why not go 4.10s. for me its nice to have a solid car that performs well but theres also the fun factor which you dont like to sit at the pumps when you could be driving and dont have to worry about your next fill up.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live about 2 hours away from the closet track in my area and i dont have a truck or trailer so I dont generaly go to the track more than 5 times a year. 80% of the time this car will be used for cruising the streets. I dont want to sacrifice performance for gas millage(gas isnt the issue) I just want a gear where i can give it some gas and not be spinning tire for 5 mins. I got 315 advans on her right now and from the little i have drivin the car so far (tranny problems) it has little to know traction at quarter throttle. My main question is are 3.73's going to give me the same problems?

Also big ups to this forum. I just joined it today and i got 2 responces within 5 mins of posting. I posted a problem i had on the z28 forum about a week ago and havnt had a responce yet. LOoks like i found my new home.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Georgekobe8
I live about 2 hours away from the closet track in my area and i dont have a truck or trailer so I dont generaly go to the track more than 5 times a year. 80% of the time this car will be used for cruising the streets. I dont want to sacrifice performance for gas millage(gas isnt the issue) I just want a gear where i can give it some gas and not be spinning tire for 5 mins. I got 315 advans on her right now and from the little i have drivin the car so far (tranny problems) it has little to know traction at quarter throttle. My main question is are 3.73's going to give me the same problems?

Also big ups to this forum. I just joined it today and i got 2 responces within 5 mins of posting. I posted a problem i had on the z28 forum about a week ago and havnt had a responce yet. LOoks like i found my new home.
You will be fine with the 3.73. I was in your same boat about 3.42 or 3.73..I'm glad I went 3.73. GREAT gear for around town Glad your liking it. I've learned all kinds of good stuff since I've been on here.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I posted a video of my car in the media section, you should check it out. BTW love your sig.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

I posted a video of my car in the media section, you should check it out. BTW love your sig.
I will check it out...and thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Well got the car back and I think im gonna keep the 4.10's for now. Its winter and realisticly I might get 3-5 nice days to take her out cruising. SO the 4.10's will stay in a come spring I will put in ritchmond 3.73 gears and see how that works out.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

I would look at your cam specs, that will give an idea of what rpm the powerband will be in. I would also prolly remove those cats...but thats just me
Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Teching In

The cams are stock and yea I plan on taking out the cats come spring time.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

OH! I see your problem... it's not your gears;

You've a Super-Charger and its producing too much power for your useage.

A Super-Charger is a very high strung animal and its not uncommon for people to like the idea of owning one, only to find that they're not prepared to give up the carefree, easy drivin' lifestyle they had prior to taking on such a heavy responsibility.

It's a good thing that I got here when I did, before you become too attached and cost yourself a driver's license and subject your life savings to the intense cost of ownership of these high maintenance beasts... I suggest that you de-mod your hammer... and give that SC to someone who can give it the love and attention it needs to live a happy life.

I just happen to run a non-profit organization which is looking for just such a Super Charger to love... Now go on... head on in to the garage and start unbolting that monster before someone gets hurt; PM me when you've got it ready and I'll take it from there. You'll thank me later....
Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Teching In

HAHA funny, not going to happen. The car is more of a weekend driver/ track car. 4.10's are just plain stupid though.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

you would probably be good going back to stock 3.23 gears if auto
Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by OVA1
OH! I see your problem... it's not your gears;

You've a Super-Charger and its producing too much power for your useage.

A Super-Charger is a very high strung animal and its not uncommon for people to like the idea of owning one, only to find that they're not prepared to give up the carefree, easy drivin' lifestyle they had prior to taking on such a heavy responsibility.

It's a good thing that I got here when I did, before you become too attached and cost yourself a driver's license and subject your life savings to the intense cost of ownership of these high maintenance beasts... I suggest that you de-mod your hammer... and give that SC to someone who can give it the love and attention it needs to live a happy life.

I just happen to run a non-profit organization which is looking for just such a Super Charger to love... Now go on... head on in to the garage and start unbolting that monster before someone gets hurt; PM me when you've got it ready and I'll take it from there. You'll thank me later....

Put me on your list...I've been looking for a SuperCharger to Love for a while now. I'm a worthy charity
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

HAHA funny, not going to happen. The car is more of a weekend driver/ track car. 4.10's are just plain stupid though.
Well OK... But we're here if you need us.

PS... I'm no guru, but I can see that your looking at three basic scenarios... the first one is de-modding the gears. Not the way I'd go.

The Second is buying better grippers for the setup you have now and there, assuming for the sake of argument that you drive as I drive; you're looking at two sets of Drag radials a season... Pricey!

The third is what I'd do and that's tubs and MAJOR upgrade on the skins and rims.

Now when I say that it is 'what I would do...' To be clear it should be noted that I am speaking in the 'Donald Trump' tense... which is a rhetorical device which provides the speaker the means to mod their car anyway they want... defying the highly restrictive 'reality' factor. Naturally 'I' wouldn't tub out the Z and retool with 18-20" road grinders until I added my vortec super charger along with all of the supporting hardware, whereupon I became burdened with the inability to half-gas it without burning the wheels off.

But seriously, I don't see the point of demodding the gears... upgrade the grippers and rims. Then lett'er rip...

Last edited by OVA1; 12-09-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: need opinions on gears for my set-up