Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Couple nights ago...[long winded post~kinda]

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Couple nights ago...[long winded post~kinda]

...I left my girlfirends house at around,..mmm... midnight-ish... heading towards the highway in a 40mph zone...I was the only car around going in my direction,....as I approached the ahead stop light, which was actually going underneath an overpass, of a highway that I needed to get on. So again, I'm approaching a light,... and back in a distance, in my mirror, I notice, what what looked to be a sportbike set of headlights approaching. Cool. He was coming up quick, to the light as well. It was red, he came up/passing me downshifting, and breaking at the same time,...throwing out blue flames out of the exhaust as he blipped the throttle. Looked pretty sick(flames/afterburnerish). Sounded pretty deep toned, like it had alot of grunt. Kinda reminded me of my old R1.

Anyways, it was a cybergrey/gunmetal grey CBR 1000RR. No decals, very clean machine. I thknk just a small bike club, or stunt rider sticker on the subframe area. Other then that, thats all I noticed. White dude, wearing shorts and a helmut. He didn't look over at all as we sat at the light. Not one time did he look. Anyways, the light turned green, as we were in the turning lane, getting ready to go under the overpass and make a left turn, and merge onto the highway. He took off kinda quick, so did I but, I wasn't trying to race him into a corner. Glad I didn't cause, a blacked out crown vic was heading towards us, him making a right hand turn, to go the same direction as us.

The crown vic took the corner, I thought cop right away. The bike, just took off, flying right around the black vic on the shoulder. I was a lil pissed but, whatever. I looked and looked, and I saw about 5 heads inside the vehicle(dark tint)...and I figured it wasn't 5-0...so, I got onto the highway, passed alot of cars,...and eased off the throttle as I apporached the same dude on the liter bike. He was on my right,...I was far middle of the 6 lane highway on his left, he was far right.

I was already in 4th gear, doing 90mph when I caught him,...slowly went passed him,.... he allowed about ten feet, possibly 15(roughly 3 bike lengths).... I was all ready to go, with the idea in my mind that the car was going to get loose somewhere in the upper rpm's on the street tire, at 100+mph. So, I was in the right state of mind, all mother ******* business.

4th gear, ready to assult(I was amped,..as I just layed the pipe not half an hour before)... i'm watching in my mirror,...waiting,..it didn't take very long at all... as I watched,... I saw him start to move up,...so I inched forward,...to him, he could probably pretty audibly hear my exhaust, and how I was in gear and ready...he started to go faster,..so I started to match his run, thinking he was gonna try and jump me,.....he did, I could see his headlight aim towards the sky for a split second, so I dropped the hammer with him landing at my door, then he quickly started to fall back to my rear bumper,....now, while this is going on, my nexus fuel pressure gage is turning red cause I have it set to go to red when it gets below 55psi,....so, it turned red, the car starts to spin the tires as I increase the rpm's,...so I lightly lift the throttle, the car hooks again, my gage goes back to white,....the bike falls back about a car length, I get back on the throttle again WOT, it goes red then white again so I don't lift, the car spins the tires again but, nothing a 10%lift couldn't adjust for, back into the throttle....still ripping on this bike...then I lift.

All I could smell was either my header wrap, or a little bit of fiber glass from my wastegates. I saw 72KPA, which I think is about 11-12psi?... My boost gage isn't working so I had to look at my peak on the boost controller.

That said, I was stoked, like I just knocked someone out. Felt good,.... I waited for the bike to come back up, and maybe do it again. He coasted along side me, changing lanes, moving away from me....and again, never looked over. I waited,...nothing,...he started going slower,...and slower....and slower. I continued up to speed, cause I wanted to get home.

This the first real test/race i've gotten in with this new setup, which I gotta say, i'm really happy with. For comparisons sake, when I was making 615rwhp with my old blower setup, i've raced three CBR 1000RR's from 80-90mph rolls and it's been a dead heat up until 130+ mph where i'd start to pull away, but slowly.

Making alot more power now and alot more torque so, it was night to see some good rsults for a change. I still need to get more fuel into the car, so, whenever I can, I will but,...the car will probably be on hold for a bit. Anyways, it was a good night out in the vette.

Peace.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So...did I miss a dyno results thread? Or is it not fully tuned yet? Last post I saw of yours was a while back and it wasn't done...progress since?

Nice pull on the bike though for sure.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Photochop
So...did I miss a dyno results thread? Or is it not fully tuned yet? Last post I saw of yours was a while back and it wasn't done...progress since?

There's a results thread in the dyno results area...look for a thread started by me titled '786 rwhp stock bottom end'....

I guess you could say there has been quite a bit of progress...theres also a huge thread in the Vette section documenting the entire build....
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Photochop

It's toooned. The boys at diablosport take good care of my baby(s).

Heres the build,..pictures are scattered across but, towards the end, you'll see more of the finishing results,...possibly some video.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...self-pics.html

It's never done ofcourse. I need alot more fuel.

and thanks man,...it felt really good to pull on the bike like that. Like I said I've raced that same style bike before and it was always closer. This time it didn't seem to be a contest.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn J, I thought the BAP was going to fix your fuel issues. What injectors are you running ?? Are you going to have to go to twin 255's to feed the beast ??
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Damn J, I thought the BAP was going to fix your fuel issues. What injectors are you running ?? Are you going to have to go to twin 255's to feed the beast ??
BAP never actually made it to the car...
Running Mototron 60#ers...
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

i've been debating about the BAP...not sure yet if I want to install it man.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have an amazing car.
Hopefully I'll be able to sell my damn DSM and get into a C5 FRC or coupe pretty soon.

Great kill!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
You have an amazing car.
Hopefully I'll be able to sell my damn DSM and get into a C5 FRC or coupe pretty soon.

Great kill!
Thanks man. Alot of work but, almost there. Best wishes on your sale/future car. I think you'll be happy with one. Fun cars.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol good story as usual, always fun running liter bikes.

You should add the BAP, lol it can't hurt. This is what my FRC's fuel system consisted of...

Twin Walbro In-Tank 255lph fuel pumps (Hobbs Switch on 2nd Pump)
Kenne Bell 40amp BAP
Speed Inc Hi-Flow Billet Fuel Rails
Boost-Referenced Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator w/97-98 Return Style Setup
RC Engineering 75lb/hr Hi-Impedance Fuel Injectors
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice setup. Sure it had more then enough fuel.