Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my 98 T/A vs my friends STI

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow my 98 T/A vs my friends STI

so i just got my car back from the tune shop and was being driving back home when i saw my friend in his sti on the highway...i was just driving safe because i was trying to get used to the power difference and shift points and all (keep in mind i've only driven mt T/A maybe 4 times so far because its been getting work done ever since i bought it) anyway he pulls up next to me wanting to race. before i continue i'd like to list the mods of my car vs his:
Mine:
ws6 hood
vt stage 1 cam (i'll upgrade soon it came with the car)
stock 98 heads
slp intake
lid
ported tb
ported maf
smooth bellow
ceramic headers, custom x pipe with borla mufflers
lca with relocating brackets
steel drive shaft

sti:
lightweight wheels
cai
alum flywheel
dual friction clutch
turbo back exhaust
and tune (idk how much boost i'll have to ask him but sti's stock are pushing a good amount of boost so with a tune im sure it was more)

anyway so we did a 50 punch and i got him by about a car (i let off too because for some reason my suspention SUCKS! i think i need an alignment bad!)
so we did a 70 punch i a got him by a car and half...
did it from a light and yes he killed me off the line but about 100 i was kneck and knech with him...if only i had 410's instead of the stock gears and some drag radials and maybe some subframe connectors i think i'd get him off the line... btw my car's a 6 speed (i know someone will ask ) so let me know what you guys think and what your input is on my modds and what else i should do...
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

not too bad, and yea with some better gears and tires you should be able to stay neck and neck with him all the way from 0-100 if not pass him as you accelerate being you dont have near as much drivetrain loss as he does in that AWD.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

thanks man! ya thats what i thought too. id like to race him again with gears...i dont know exactly how much difference it'll make with gears because i've never had them done but i hear good things
Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like he gave a good fight..I love the soobies
Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

me too, id love to have one as a daily driver! the way those things sound with a turbo back sound like no other car!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good race ! I had a 04 stage 2 Sti. Really fun car to drive and mess around in(especially in the twisties and on dirt). I beat a lot of v8 and got beat by a few(03 SVT Cobra and a couple of 11sec SS). Only things that sucked was it got horrible gas mileage to commute in(my best city was 18mpg) and upgrading the turbo was a guaranteed $1k-1800(turbo,injectors,Fp and tune).

Otherwise, its a well built car and I miss it !
Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Those boxers do have a great sound to them. Unfortunately the wifey has put the kibosh on uncorking the exhaust on my Lesbaru wagon because it's the family car. I can still dream though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwYm...eature=related
Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Launching!

man i love borla on anything!! i used to be a flowmaster guy, but after i bought borla for the first time on my mustang ive never bought anything since! the best sound ever!!! my trans am has borla my mr2 has borla, i made my friends with tt supra get borla, gli jetta, 05 civic....borla should sponcer me! lol ive sold lots of mufflers for them! but everyone likes them because even for the imports borla makes them sound good not ricy. so when i heard it on that legacy on one of the youtube videos (not that link but it was another video....)man its good stuff! i guess magnaflow's the same way how they're quiet and when you go open throttle they get loud but borla has a NICE tone at WOT!!! idk just my opinion and i know i wrote this on the wrong thread...
Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steiner
Those boxers do have a great sound to them. Unfortunately the wifey has put the kibosh on uncorking the exhaust on my Lesbaru wagon because it's the family car. I can still dream though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwYm...eature=related
You can use the SPT/Borla exhaust, it looks stock(excaept for being polished) and its not really much louder. That combined with downpipe will get you a noticeable 15-20hp !

I slipped mine on when i told my wife that I had to fix an exhuast leak !
Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good kill.

With your mods though, you should have pulled him by much more than 1 car. A stock STI only puts down 230WHP, with his mods hes probaby up around 270WHP.

Considering you have bolt ons and cam, you should have pulled on him like he was going backwards
Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Good kill.

With your mods though, you should have pulled him by much more than 1 car. A stock STI only puts down 230WHP, with his mods hes probaby up around 270WHP.

Considering you have bolt ons and cam, you should have pulled on him like he was going backwards
The regular WRX's put out 230 hp The STI's put down 300 hp
Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlkZ28559
The regular WRX's put out 230 hp The STI's put down 300 hp
I'm talking WHP (wheel horsepower). Not HP rated at the crank.

STI's put down around 230WHP, regular WRX's are somewhere around 170-180WHP.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Wesmanw02 is right ! About 270-277 whp(good for high 12's) at stage 2 untuned with just a OTS map. Custom tuned, anywhere from 301-323 whp(good for mid 12's) on the stock turbo.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daz
You can use the SPT/Borla exhaust, it looks stock(excaept for being polished) and its not really much louder. That combined with downpipe will get you a noticeable 15-20hp !

I slipped mine on when i told my wife that I had to fix an exhuast leak !
I've been slowly trying to sell her on the Prodrive cans. They look OEM, sound conservative but unfortunately cost an arm and a leg.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steiner
I've been slowly trying to sell her on the Prodrive cans. They look OEM, sound conservative but unfortunately cost an arm and a leg.
Yeah ! That sucked for me too ! Everything was just so expensive with Subies. There's nothing wrong with buying "used" though ! 90% of my mods were "used" !
Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Launching!

used parts are the way to go! as far as how bad i should have beet the sti...i think now that i can actualy drive the car i can probably beat him by more but that was right after getting it from the tune shop where i had alot of work done so i was still getting used to the differences and my car needs an alighnment bad! (getting it done today) so everytime i'd shift the steering wheel would try to straighten it self out and so for a split sec after my shift my car would pull hard to the right! my alighnment is way off! but ya i think my friends keeping his stock turbo because he doesnt have 1000-1200 to spend lol. so now my next compeditor is my other friends mkIII supra. still the 7mg motor but its pushing 410rwhp with a bad tune. he stops making power after 5k rpm. im hoping to beat him. i never knew how heavy those supra's are!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Your friend can find a used 20g(18g is not that much better than stock) for about $600-700 but then there's injectors, fuel pump, and tune ! It'll all cost about 1500 or so without a fmic. He would be doing about 360+whp and 380+whp with a fmic, both with a safe tune and not all out.

oooooo Supra ! I love them but their just so expensive !
Old 11-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Launching!

i love supra's too! but when a supra guy puts down a ls1 and sais 2jz is the best and ls1 is crap then i gota show him what's up! i do agree 2jz is one of the best motors ever made but so is ls1! anyway long story short he doesnt even have a 2jz he has a 7mg so i'll see what i can do against him
Old 11-17-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by armintheman
i love supra's too! but when a supra guy puts down a ls1 and sais 2jz is the best and ls1 is crap then i gota show him what's up! i do agree 2jz is one of the best motors ever made but so is ls1! anyway long story short he doesnt even have a 2jz he has a 7mg so i'll see what i can do against him
I hate when ricers talk up the 2JZ like its the best motor ever made. Its a damn straight 6, it sounds like crap, and it only holds together because its got 7 main bearing caps, just like every other straight 6 in the world does

They brag about these high-HP fully built Supras, which are nothing more than turbo lagging junk. When you combine a low compression 3 Liter with a massive turbo, you end up with an undriveable vehicle, regardless of what kind of numbers it can put down on the rollers. There's a huge difference between dyno numbers and useable power.

When ricers start bragging about the stupid 2JZ I just pull out the numbers on the turbo LSX's, Vipers, and Cobras. If they have half a brain in their head (some don't) they shut up pretty quick, because you aren't going to touch those motors with anything from japan.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Yeah the 2JZ is a ticking time bomb...just like thw RB25/26DET, 4G63, VQ35 and every other thing out of Japan. Nice call. Way to bring the objectivity captain America. Just change my oil and wash my windows bitch.