Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

will any skinnies clear wilwood 6 pistons

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will any skinnies clear wilwood 6 pistons

i have wilwood 6 piston calipers up front wih 13 inch rotors. Is there front runner setup out there to clear this? thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to be SOL unless you don't mind having a wheel sticking way out of the fender well. Caliper overhang is wayyy to large for these types of setups.

You've got a great road race setup, but terrible drag race brake setup.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i purchased the car like that. they look great behind the fikse's though

any idea how far out we talking? it would be track only
Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

I'm sure they look very nice. They are fantastic road race brakes. Offhand, I believe caliper overhang is over 1.25", so you're going to be down to probably 1" backspace or so. These are just quick numbers so I may be off slightly as there are other considerations as well. The brakes probably already moved your hub pad out 1/4" or so...so you're not the same as the typical F-body.

I'd advise if you're not going to road race the setup while drag racing or normal street driving of primary concern, at least change to LS1 brakes so you can run drag wheels. They are much better then the stock LT1 brakes which were on the car (and lighter too). The wilwood brakes are not going to help you stop any better on a skinny wheel. You'll just skid more.

As it stands, I'd say it will look rather odd if we even attempted to set something up for your car. It would also be heavy and not inexpensive. If you sold the brakes, you'd have a nice chunk of change left over even after purchasing wheels.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I'm sure they look very nice. They are fantastic road race brakes. Offhand, I believe caliper overhang is over 1.25", so you're going to be down to probably 1" backspace or so. These are just quick numbers so I may be off slightly as there are other considerations as well. The brakes probably already moved your hub pad out 1/4" or so...so you're not the same as the typical F-body.

I'd advise if you're not going to road race the setup while drag racing or normal street driving of primary concern, at least change to LS1 brakes so you can run drag wheels. They are much better then the stock LT1 brakes which were on the car (and lighter too). The wilwood brakes are not going to help you stop any better on a skinny wheel. You'll just skid more.

As it stands, I'd say it will look rather odd if we even attempted to set something up for your car. It would also be heavy and not inexpensive. If you sold the brakes, you'd have a nice chunk of change left over even after purchasing wheels.

Good luck!
ive given thought to selling the wilwood setup as it has them on all 4 corners so it would be alot of extra cash but im not really loking to take the car all out drag. so i think id rather have it look awesome with willwoods all around behind the fikse's and give up a few tenths at the track.... so skinnies would be sticking out past the fenders?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 PM
FormerVendor

You're probably best off keeping the setup you have as is.

I'd consider changing to LS1 brakes, maybe ugrade the pads or rotors. They stop very well actually. Obviously they aren't going to work as the brakes you have right now, but I'm not sure with the type of driving you do...that you really need it. (I don't know how you use your car).

The type of brakes you have shine on heavy useage during a road race course where you're stressing the brakes quite a bit. Sure their will be a difference from LS1 brakes, but do you need it? Does it benefit your car. Those puppies cost quite a bit of money, so you're return would be pretty good. Hell, even if you sold the car, I'd sell them seperately as you'd get more of a return by selling the car with stock brakes and the wilwoods alone.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree ill never use the willwoods for what they are meant for i just love how they look on the car. they set off the fikse's and my car looks amazing with the wheel/suspension/and brake setup on it. i dont wanna get rid of that and start making the car into a track car its too nice to do that to. so i guess ill just have to go fast with 18x10's up front
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like the person that setup the car did not spare expenses and chose some great products. Good luck with your setup!