Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SD vs. MAF Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SD vs. MAF Tune

I am a little out of date on the best tuning method for FI. What type of tune is everyone running SD or MAF? When is SD preferred over MAF?

I have a 2002 Procharged WS6 making 550 rwhp on a MAF tune, would I benifit going over to a SD tune? Currently the drivabiltiy is a little rough with some bucking and surging.

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

You will find guys that do both. I would go SD and let it eat. A good tuner will get the drivability sorted out for ya.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will make more power at the same boost level with SD tuning, its been proven in applications over 500rwhp.
But, theres not as many tuners in the country that offer SD tuning and do it correctly to maintain good drivability.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Photochop
But, theres not as many tuners in the country that offer SD tuning and do it correctly to maintain good drivability.
I dont really agree with that. To do a proper MAF tune the VE table needs to be tunned as close as possible in SD before starting on the MAF portions of the tune. The problem is when tuner just jump straight inot MAF tuning before setting up the proper SD VE table.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

What about the fact that the SD tune does not compensate for weather? On a cold night you just end up running lean. Happens all the time.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1x2
What about the fact that the SD tune does not compensate for weather? On a cold night you just end up running lean. Happens all the time.
That because the other tables that seem to be over looked so often are not setup right to adjust for cooler IAT temps seen in the early AM hours and at night. I have never had a problem or issue with with weather changes.

In KY you wake up to 40* mornings and by lunch its in the 80's only to drop to 60* at night. It makes tuning fun. Once it had it all tuned in I was done.

The above was all done with HPTuners too. I just never had issues with the huge swings due to weather that you hear about.

I switched the car to a FAST XFI/XIM setup in the name of performance. SD all the time. Real Time O2 correction. Made it alot easier.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

thank god from meth as a suplemental fuel/octaine boost/ait controller.
who said you cant have it all?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean open loop ? Once the VE is actually fully done, CLSD is consistent in the face of varying weather and altitude.

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I dont really agree with that. To do a proper MAF tune the VE table needs to be tunned as close as possible in SD before starting on the MAF portions of the tune. The problem is when tuner just jump straight inot MAF tuning before setting up the proper SD VE table.
Thats true, but the VE that accompanies a MAF OS for GenIII cars ends at the beginning of boost (105 kPa), so there is nothing there to tune except the MAF table from that point unless you want to to do the same thing to the VE that you do when maxed-MAF to the PE. That may get you by on a SC'd setup somewhat, but 2 dimensions lack the dynamics for proper turbo fueling.

Last edited by Frost; 11-20-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love SD I ran a maf for3 years sice being boosted and all tuners did a good job, but I will say SD witha big turbo and cam is the way to go. My car drives like stock, My Afr only changes by .3 hot or cold, I have no bucking or surging I love how the afr drops when boost goes up. Im not trying to pump SD tuning but man my ride is like another car.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Beware that if you have smog checks....if running SD mode you will not pass.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoody66
How so? The codes can be removed...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

I had a maf tune done.. Now im going SD. I wish i went Sd from the start.

Chris
Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't pass with a MAF tune either.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
I had a maf tune done.. Now im going SD. I wish i went Sd from the start.

Chris
i told you that from the start
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

That is completely wrong as a SD DOES compensate for weather changes.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default Messages

Originally Posted by slow67
How so? The codes can be removed...
Your only allowed like 2 or 3 "Not Ready" status states and when you go sd you will have more than enough of those.
Someone chime in cuz I know youve been there. I just pay the xtra 40 to the guy and it gets done.
So you cannot erase the federal system that monitors what systems in your car are "ready" but you can erase those mil notifications...or whatever they are called but thats not the only thing they are looking at. The way it was explained to me was if there are 10 systems checks to be performed and you have turned off a few of them...the inspection system will be waiting for your car to tell it that its available to be checked but since its off....it wont be ready...fail
Old 11-21-2008, 11:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In boosted applications over 5psi I would definitely recommend a 2 bar SD tune as you run out of maf at around that point and then need to start fudging alot of tables to get your fueling in the area.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your only allowed like 2 or 3 "Not Ready" status states and when you go sd you will have more than enough of those.
Someone chime in cuz I know youve been there. I just pay the xtra 40 to the guy and it gets done.
So you cannot erase the federal system that monitors what systems in your car are "ready" but you can erase those mil notifications...or whatever they are called but thats not the only thing they are looking at. The way it was explained to me was if there are 10 systems checks to be performed and you have turned off a few of them...the inspection system will be waiting for your car to tell it that its available to be checked but since its off....it wont be ready...fail
lol 2001 and above your only allowed to have one not ready monitor, 2000 and below your allowed to have 2. mine are always on ready statues even if i clear out the SES light (when you clear it out your suppost to do the monitor tests where they want you to drive for about 75 miles to get the ready statues)
Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Default No pro

Originally Posted by reject
lol 2001 and above your only allowed to have one not ready monitor, 2000 and below your allowed to have 2. mine are always on ready statues even if i clear out the SES light (when you clear it out your suppost to do the monitor tests where they want you to drive for about 75 miles to get the ready statues)
Well I wont say Im the pro on the subject but I couldnt get passed and it was due to those "ready" states....or lack of...they did ask me if I had recently disconnected the battery and told me to come back after 50 to 75 miles of driving. The whole point is though that you can clear out that ses stuff but it will not make your car pass in all cases.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

you have hptuners? i passed mine like that for my sticker, il only get to use it for a month but at least itll be stickered

Quick Reply: SD vs. MAF Tune