Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Finding pushrod length with adjustable rockers?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finding pushrod length with adjustable rockers?????

O.k. guys I need some help. I have Thunder's 7.400 hardened pushrods for my new engine but the heads I believe have been milled a lot. I don't know how much though. I am getting popping and back fires when I push down on the gas. It idles rough but it will idle on its own. My question is I have Comp Cams 1.75 rockers and they are adjustable. So how do I go about measuring for the pushrods with the rockers being adjustable?

I have the correct pushrod length checker.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 PM
LLC
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of good articles on finding you pushrod length so I don't feel it's necessary for anyone to rewrite what's been written already.

http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...gth/index.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...gth/index.html

http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Pushrods/

I don't think you're problems are pushrod length related. It sounds like your valve adjustment is the culprit.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LLC
I don't think you're problems are pushrod length related. It sounds like your valve adjustment is the culprit.
I would agree. With adjustable rockers, length isn't exactly critical. The geometry may be off if the length isn't correct, but you should be able to get the proper preload with the adjustment. At least enough to get it to run right.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's how I did it.

Link
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
So how do I go about measuring for the pushrods with the rockers being adjustable?
You could either:

a) Try different lengths until you get a "proper" swipe pattern on the valve tip

or

b) Degree the cam every time you try a new pushrod length. Cam timing will change with PR length...
Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KCS
You could either:

b) Degree the cam every time you try a new pushrod length. Cam timing will change with PR length...
Say what??????
Old 11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

^ Maybe he ment valve timing?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1.8t
^ Maybe he ment valve timing?
That shouldn't be any different either.
Only thing that will change valve timing is lash, and hydraulic rollers have none. Rocker arm changes will change valve timing slightly too. Pushrods? Nah.
To optimize valve train geometry, first thing that needs to be determined is the center of the fulcrum point, that is, the center at which the rocker arm pivots. That height (in relation to the valve stem tip) dictates how the rocker tip sweeps across the valve tip. Then, on non adjustable rockers, pushrod length needs to be determined in order to set the proper preload on the lifter.
Adjustables are a little more forgiving.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:00 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
That shouldn't be any different either.
Only thing that will change valve timing is lash, and hydraulic rollers have none. Rocker arm changes will change valve timing slightly too. Pushrods? Nah.
To optimize valve train geometry, first thing that needs to be determined is the center of the fulcrum point, that is, the center at which the rocker arm pivots. That height (in relation to the valve stem tip) dictates how the rocker tip sweeps across the valve tip. Then, on non adjustable rockers, pushrod length needs to be determined in order to set the proper preload on the lifter.
Adjustables are a little more forgiving.
Rocker ratio isn't constant throughout the rocker arms' arc of travel. Rocker geometry effects the rocker's arc and therefore effective rocker ratio and the amount of lift the valve sees at any given crank angle. When I said it will effect cam timing, I didn't specifically mean @.050" (although it could).

Since I don't have a "sponsor" label or a million posts under my name, some may not accept my ramblings as credible. So here is Joe Sherman's thoughts:

"An interesting thing to do is play with pushrod length and measure the actual valve lift with the differant lengths. The pushrod that give the highest peak valve lift SHOULD be the one to use( on a race engine) but this MIGHT NOT be the one that has the best contact pattern. It can actually make quite a bit of differance in valve lift.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES"

Here is a word from Mike Jones (not the rapper, the cam grinder):

"...when you change the pushrod length until you get the most valve lift, you're also cuting the ratio at the seat. When you setup your rockers to give you a higher ratio above midlift, and a lower ratio below, you're increasing the area under the curve, and lowering the seating velocity at the valve. It makes a standard design cam act more like an Inverse Radius profile. Bigger upper lift durations, and smaller lower lift durations at the valve.
www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449"

This is all probably well beyond the scope of this application, but definetly fun to read about.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KCS
Rocker ratio isn't constant throughout the rocker arms' arc of travel. Rocker geometry effects the rocker's arc and therefore effective rocker ratio and the amount of lift the valve sees at any given crank angle. When I said it will effect cam timing, I didn't specifically mean @.050" (although it could).

Since I don't have a "sponsor" label or a million posts under my name, some may not accept my ramblings as credible. So here is Joe Sherman's thoughts:

"An interesting thing to do is play with pushrod length and measure the actual valve lift with the differant lengths. The pushrod that give the highest peak valve lift SHOULD be the one to use( on a race engine) but this MIGHT NOT be the one that has the best contact pattern. It can actually make quite a bit of differance in valve lift.

"...when you change the pushrod length until you get the most valve lift, you're also cuting the ratio at the seat. When you setup your rockers to give you a higher ratio above midlift, and a lower ratio below, you're increasing the area under the curve, and lowering the seating velocity at the valve. It makes a standard design cam act more like an Inverse Radius profile. Bigger upper lift durations, and smaller lower lift durations at the valve.
www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449"

This is all probably well beyond the scope of this application, but definetly fun to read about.
One thing to note concerning both methods, is I'm sure they are not using hydraulic rollers with fixed, pedestal mounted rockers.
On these motors, when you change pushrod length, and nothing else, all you're basically doing is changing the preload on the lifter.
Now, using different length pushrods in the context they are, isn't the same. You would need to change the length of the pushrod as well as the height of the fulcrum point.
Whether someone is a sponsor on here or not does not make them any more or less credible. There are some very intelligent members on here, as well as some dumb *** sponsors.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

That is true, with the non-adjustable pedestal mount rockers all you'd change is preload. But I'm about 90% sure that Comp's adjustable rockers are of the stud/polylock type. Those don't seat on a pedestal, but have a "floating" fulcrum in which tip height and PR length change the fulcrum's height. Those are the ones which are affected this way.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

On these motors, when you change pushrod length, and nothing else, all you're basically doing is changing the preload on the lifter.
Your right. My thought process deletes the hydraulic lifter part of the equation lol.

The only way to vary wipe pattern on the base circle of the cam is through adjustable rockers correct?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Your right. My thought process deletes the hydraulic lifter part of the equation lol.

The only way to vary wipe pattern on the base circle of the cam is through adjustable rockers correct?
No, you can change it by shimming the pedestal bar.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KCS
That is true, with the non-adjustable pedestal mount rockers all you'd change is preload. But I'm about 90% sure that Comp's adjustable rockers are of the stud/polylock type. Those don't seat on a pedestal, but have a "floating" fulcrum in which tip height and PR length change the fulcrum's height. Those are the ones which are affected this way.
Yes they are adjustable, but remember we're only talking about a change in length of probably .050 max, so the resulting change in fulcrum height versus preload, because of the floating fulcrum, will probably be nil.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That is one reason I used the method I did, it allowed me to bench check the wipe pattern by using something that was measurable without turning over the motor. It worked well in the end.

Also, setting the pushrod length for maximum lift but potentially an incorrect wipe pattern as stated in the quote above may work for a race only motor, but I would think that valve guide wear would be an issue for a street driven car.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vettenuts
That is one reason I used the method I did, it allowed me to bench check the wipe pattern by using something that was measurable without turning over the motor. It worked well in the end.

Also, setting the pushrod length for maximum lift but potentially an incorrect wipe pattern as stated in the quote above may work for a race only motor, but I would think that valve guide wear would be an issue for a street driven car.
I would agree. Me, I would rather have proper geometry.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCS

www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449"

Dude if you read it properly you will note that the word is lift. Nowhere does anyone say anything about cam timing being changed. Valve lift yes.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ringram
Dude if you read it properly you will note that the word is lift. Nowhere does anyone say anything about cam timing being changed. Valve lift yes.
Dude, note that it says duration.

Originally Posted by KCS
"...when you change the pushrod length until you get the most valve lift, you're also cuting the ratio at the seat. When you setup your rockers to give you a higher ratio above midlift, and a lower ratio below, you're increasing the area under the curve, and lowering the seating velocity at the valve. It makes a standard design cam act more like an Inverse Radius profile. Bigger upper lift durations, and smaller lower lift durations at the valve."
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes they are adjustable, but remember we're only talking about a change in length of probably .050 max, so the resulting change in fulcrum height versus preload, because of the floating fulcrum, will probably be nil.
From what I've read, a change as little as .010" can be a couple degrees of duration. I haven't really had a chance to actually measure this, but I wouldn't really argue either way.

As far as "proper" geometry, I think thats debateable. Most rocker manufacturers recommend that there should be a 90* right angle formed at max lift between the valve centerline and the centerline intersecting both rocker tip and fulcrum axis (pivot length). This should put peak ratio at max lift, and like already mentioned, slower ratio/velocity as the seat opens and closes. This probably won't be the best wipe pattern, but it'll be damn close and should be easier on the seats/valve head.

But as I said in my first post, you can do either or. In this case it probably doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply: Finding pushrod length with adjustable rockers?????