LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ported LT1 intake ?????'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported LT1 intake ?????'s

Ok so I have an LT1 intake that has had the runners ported and is ready for a 58mm TB and I'm pretty much ready to slap it on the car but I was wondering if there was going to be an issure with not actually having the heads side done??? I assume that it shouldn't make that big of a deal as far as hurting it but I realize that I would get the peak performance out of it as I would if the intake side of my heads was done. If some one could give me and inputs on this matter I would appreciate it... Thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should see some kind of gain. take the gasket and compair it against the intake and the head to see how off they are. if your that concerned just give them to LE or AI
Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Port-match the Heads.. I did mine and it took a lil bit, but it was easy to do.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Is it a significant gain to do this port job? I mean I would hate to mess up the heads beyond use!!! I've never done it before. I mean it seems like it would be kind of easy considering your just matching it to the gasket but there's always that chance of not having a perfect flow... Who else recommends doing this jod for the first time????
Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

IMO its not worth the gain. If you have never done it before. IF you mess up the heads you mess up the heads. A ported intake atop a set of stock heads might gain about 3-5hp.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

I did it with a Bench Dremel and a Burr..it went pretty quick, not hard to do at all.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

So as long as I gasket match and take off just the amount from the marking I should be good YES???? How far do I port the work down into the runner??? I mean clearly I would do the lip but what is until desired or what?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to be doing the same thing this winter, and from my understanding of everything that I have read, you don't want to go farther than 1 inch into the port
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

I ported until it felt straight and squared off.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen Lloyd explain this before. You do not want to "gasket match" the ports. Also, the guy that did my 383" LT4 heads tells me the roof around the injector is criticle. As I have seen Lloyd mention, the floor in the intake is lower than the heads. The angle where they intersect is a tad severe, lowering the floor of the intake ports just agravates this. One of my super Stock engines has a stock intake, straight out of a salvage. I filled the floor to match the floor in the heads, and that helped the angle issue. The port entries could use some help with the radius, but you need to cut the top off the manifold to get to that area easily. Lloyd posted a good description of the work the manifold runners need. Do a search and follow his instructions if you insist on doing it yourself. Don't gasket match everything, that is just wrong. Unless, of course, your looking to be slow.

Good luck, Ed
Old 11-25-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bingo. Gasket matching is nonsense. This area is the least restrictive part of the entire port. On top of that, if the cross sectional area of your heads is now smaller than your intake runner you've possibly created MORE problems. If the head is jutting out into the flow path, it will significantly impede flow. Bigger is not better, and just because everyone else does it doesn't make it correct.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did a search, I believe EdWright was talking about this thread. look toward the bottom on the first page for a post from NightTrain66 (Lloyd Elliott)

Any Good Guides for Porting Intakes?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I have seen Lloyd explain this before. You do not want to "gasket match" the ports. Also, the guy that did my 383" LT4 heads tells me the roof around the injector is criticle. As I have seen Lloyd mention, the floor in the intake is lower than the heads. The angle where they intersect is a tad severe, lowering the floor of the intake ports just agravates this. One of my super Stock engines has a stock intake, straight out of a salvage. I filled the floor to match the floor in the heads, and that helped the angle issue. The port entries could use some help with the radius, but you need to cut the top off the manifold to get to that area easily. Lloyd posted a good description of the work the manifold runners need. Do a search and follow his instructions if you insist on doing it yourself. Don't gasket match everything, that is just wrong. Unless, of course, your looking to be slow.

Good luck, Ed
someone around here a few months back was telling me the same thing.

Quick Reply: Ported LT1 intake ?????'s