LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Muffler Choice on Dumped Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Choice on Dumped Y-Pipe

I wanna have my exhaust re worked this winter, for clearance and money reasons, I have decided to go with a custom Y/pipe to a bullet style muffler then dump it before the axle... Now I need this to be kinda 'quiet'... The bullet mufflers I have on it now are just some 3 inch bullets that aren't much quieter than the open LT's, with no x pipe... I'm not a pansy worried about INT noise, or anything like that, just want something that will be able to be tamed when around cops, whatta guys think I should go with?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with (beleive it or not) a cherrybomb after my Ory, its 3" in/out X 22" long (18" body), i sheld out a whopping 31.00 at autozone (special order), it is surprizingly quit, doesn't atract cops, has a nice rumble, but is load WOT, but not tinny, just make sure you install it right, it only has the louvers going 1 way. You will get some cabin moan if your in a higher gear & low rpms, i'm running an M6, but i love it, if you don't run it through puddles or spray water on it lol, the glass should last a long time.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

the dynatech splitflow mufflers are suppose to quiet it down alot and they are straight thru style. or the magnapacks. i have a dynomax bullet and i don't consider it that loud. quieted it down alot from a open cutout on my previous setup.

what does your "custom" y-pipe look like?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

^ no clue, haven't had it made yet lol... I'd love to find a matching TPiS y pipe, as I bought my LT's without it used, but I haven't been able to find one or where to order a new one..
Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the magnaflow magnapacks they sound good and quieten it down alot.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

that tucks up there quite nicely. do you have any video of it ?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

I say go with an x-pipe. If you have the right place do it, and give them an example of a setup that's tucked up real nice, you won't have to worry about clearance too much. I just got mine back from getting it tucked back up. I haven't scraped a single thing since. You'll enjoy the sound a lot more than a dumped muffler after the y-pipe. I know of a place not too far away that would do it for a real good price.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Yea your pretty close 2 me, arn't you on qcaaf as well? Who would you suggest for the TD's? I was gonna go to VR in Davenport IA and have them do a custom Y pipe, I couldn't imagine that being much more than 100 bucks... I don't daily drive the car, don't even weekly drive it lol, but my old duals kept me from getting it on the trailer, up my driveway, over speed bumps, just made the car miserable to maneuver...
Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I'm also on qcaaf. I'm about an hour away. The shop I had do mine is between where I live and the cities. If you bought a universal x-pipe and mufflers, I bet the guy could fab it up real cheap. And if you get it done like mine is now, you won't have to worry about clearance. My headers are now the lowest part of my exhaust. I'm not exactly sure how much it'd cost, because I had him do plugs, plug wires, put my headers on, and fab up the x when I had it done. Total was about $300. He said it would've only been $200 but my old headers were a PITA to get off and they wasted a lot of time doing it. Some of the cost was also for piping going from the mufflers, under the axle, to out back too.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

More weight tho, wanna put her on a diet soon anyways...

Quick Reply: Muffler Choice on Dumped Y-Pipe