Thinking about a career change.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about a career change.

I was just wondering what the demand and average salary for automotive techs are. I would really like to work somewhere that specializes in building performance engines/cars. Anybody in the Houston area willing to give me any info. I'm only about a semester away from getting my associates in Bussiness Admin and then I would be moving onto to Bussiness Management, but honestly I'm pretty tired of the whole corporate scene/bull-crap. Of course if I do decide to see this thru I would go to school for automotive technology.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Teching In

good luck with that. Lots of places are laying people off right now because no ones coming in to have their cars fixxed, or paying for their services. If your truely interested in becoming a technician, wait till around march. Thats when things pick up, and people are willing to spend more money on their cars to fix it. Thats when you start to make some good money.

AVG pay is from like 12-18/hour depending on experence, and knowledge. If you know your ****, you may start out at 15/hour and work your way up. Soon as a dealership sees how much you know, and how well your work ethics are. You can easily become unexpendable to them. Flag hours is where its at during most times of the year, but around christmas time... Hourly pay is nice.

goodluck with your career change, if you decide to persue it!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Process Technology, not automotive but good money for just a two year degree
Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

happy so far with my decision as RN.... TMC is the place to be for any medical job!!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
happy so far with my decision as RN.... TMC is the place to be for any medical job!!
Any weird stigma attached to being a male RN? Most of the classes I'm in right now are filled with nursing students, but they're all chicks so it's all good.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

lolz!! my original class started out with like 12 guys and 100 chicks!!!

At first i was kinda sketchy about the whole male nurse thing... but after being to diff't hospitals etc,,, I actually love it... All the girls say the guys get treated better by instructors and nurses at the hospital... i kinda agree lol!!

Only weird part so far was doing my obstetric rounds... some pregnant women didnt want a male nurse to be involved helping deliver there baby.... but i completely understand.... I hated that entire semester!!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

what class are you taking that has mostly nursing students???
Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chadmod
good luck with that. Lots of places are laying people off right now because no ones coming in to have their cars fixxed, or paying for their services. If your truely interested in becoming a technician, wait till around march. Thats when things pick up, and people are willing to spend more money on their cars to fix it. Thats when you start to make some good money.

AVG pay is from like 12-18/hour depending on experence, and knowledge. If you know your ****, you may start out at 15/hour and work your way up. Soon as a dealership sees how much you know, and how well your work ethics are. You can easily become unexpendable to them. Flag hours is where its at during most times of the year, but around christmas time... Hourly pay is nice.

goodluck with your career change, if you decide to persue it!
Thanks, i would definitely go to school first and learn my stuff. I worked on/flew in helicopters for five years, so being a mechanic isn't anything new to me. Not that a car and a helicopter are anything alike, but it's still something, and I do all the work to my car myself and actually enjoy it.. . even if it does kick my *** sometimes That kind of pay isn't too bad, especially if you actually enjoy what you do.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

what class are you taking that has mostly nursing students???
Anatomy & Physiology II and Pathophysiology.

I can't imagine liking an OB/GYN rotation either. Such a bloody mess that must be.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

ehhh its not the blood.. its more of feeling uncomfortable usually being the only male in the room... besides husband/boyfriend etc...

what'd you get to cut up in A&P??? cat, rat???
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I was in the room when Ernie's son was born (A nurse got sick at the last second, LOL) and I kinda got the same vibe. Luckily I didn't have to see anything.

We just finished a cat. It was pretty cool. One of the cats in our lab was pregnant with a siamese twin in her litter. It was pretty badass to see two heads on a little 3" kitten.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

FIREHAWK #07 My hats off to you. My wife is a BSN/RN/CCRN (ICU Nurse) and we have a small library of books she had to read to get that title.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

automotive is good to know for yourself...
making money in the field is getting harder now a days......
just my opinion...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by derrickman05
FIREHAWK #07 My hats off to you. My wife is a BSN/RN/CCRN (ICU Nurse) and we have a small library of books she had to read to get that title.

lol yeah i got a PILE of books, and im still 6 months away from graduating.... we go through an entire book in 8 weeks; I'm leaning towards the ICU setting myself.

which hospital is she working at?? Houston?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ben R
I was in the room when Ernie's son was born (A nurse got sick at the last second, LOL) and I kinda got the same vibe. Luckily I didn't have to see anything.

We just finished a cat. It was pretty cool. One of the cats in our lab was pregnant with a siamese twin in her litter. It was pretty badass to see two heads on a little 3" kitten.

i remember i had A&P at 730am... nothing like the smell of formaldehyde in the morning,,, Woke me up really fast...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

No she worked agency for a while here in DFW but now she is 38Weeks preggo and about to domino. She will be a stay at home mom till our son is in school. She is kicking around going to school for CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthetist) for people like me who dont know
Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

If she does that then right after the house is paid off im going to have a whole fleet of toys
Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

^ CRNA's get FAT PAY!!! I've heard its a very hard program to get accepted to...
congrats on the baby!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

i remember i had A&P at 730am... nothing like the smell of formaldehyde in the morning,,, Woke me up really fast...
Yeah that stuff smells pretty terrible especially when a hurricane rolls through and your cats sit in a hot *** closet for a week or so until the A/C can be turned back on.