Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Fab 9

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Fab 9

Reviews here please. Also experiences with running a spool on the street, however it won't be a dd. Do you have to run their torque arm? Does it come with sensors?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

I think you would be VERY happy with his product. Most people use his torque arm setup because it's just plain awesome. However, I think I remember at least one guy he built an adapter for the "stock style" torque arm ("mightymouse") because of the class he races in. This thread, albeit LONG, is a good read.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-new-pics.html

I have 0 experience with spools. The rears do not come with sensors, but come with the correct reluctors for 3/4 channel ABS. Frankly, since you say you're using a spool and the car isn't a daily driver, I don't really see why you don't just get rid of that stuff.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 AM
9 Second Club

I'll let you know,I have one coming to me this week or next.I ordered mine with a spool. Eric from Midwest Chassis is a really good guy to deal with also.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

i have one with 3 channel abs and a tru trac.... and so far so good. I am still breaking it in, but everything went in pretty smooth. The torque arm fit pretty good, no worse than my stock one, and it probably weighed about the same. It came with a modified 3 channel sensor, and i sent Eric my old sensor from the 10 bolt, and the new one works flawlessly. The rear is also pretty quiet, but you can definately still hear some gear noise compared to the stock rear.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 12-07-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

all i can tell you is his torque arm transmits a hell of a lot more torque than the stock one... be prepared to buy new tires
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, just awesome. Ive got a little over 600 miles on mine. Its a 3 channel abs and trutrac rear. Mine is dead quiet, if the radio is off and windows down you can hear just a hint of noise on decel but it is very quiet. The weight is the same as a 10 bolt yet this thing will handle anything I can throw at it.

The torque arm setup is great, not sure why you wouldnt want to use it but I know Eric can make it work with a factory style TA, id imagine its going to be a bit heavier though.

They dont come with sensors, you just transfer the ones from your 10 bolt.

Give Eric a call, you wont regret it.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Midwest fab9 is outstanding in every respect and is a cheaper alternative to the Moser M9. It is much better than the 12 bolt IMO and weighs less than the standard 9". In fact if you use the aluminum gear case it will nearly match the weight of the 10 bolt.

The quality of the housing and the welds are top notch through and through. The housing also includes standard sway bar and LCA relocation mounts and a drain plug at no extra charge. Eric also uses Moser axles and Timken set20 tapered bearings that are more durable than the standard bearings the others use.

The torque arm is rock solid and Eric gives you the choice of long or short arm along with the appropriate mount. The short arm mount also has a drive shaft loop. The torque arm also has multiple adjustment points for dialing in instant center. You must run the Midwest torque arm, the stocker wont fit without pointless major re-work.

You can also add 3 or 4 channel ABS. The housing allows you to reuse your existing ABS sensors although sometime Eric might to machine them to dial in the spec.

I am running the Detroit Trutrac and have had no issues with it. I would not run a spool on the street do to safety reasons especially in the rain. It will also wear the tires out quicker. Eric gives you the choice of gear ratio you want, I am running 4.10. The gears run very quiet although the trackbar, due to its tubular design does tend to amplify noise just a bit. I have very very faint noise on decell only.

Cant go wrong with the Midwest fab9.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

I only have the break in miles on mine so far...before putting her away however, I can honestly say I am very pleased with the Fab 9 @ this point and can't wait to see how it does at the track. I am using his TA/LCA/PHB and everything is top notch, no noise from the True-Trac either.
I would recommend this rearend to anybody that is looking for one.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The Midwest fab9 is outstanding in every respect and is a cheaper alternative to the Moser M9. It is much better than the 12 bolt IMO and weighs less than the standard 9". In fact if you use the aluminum gear case it will nearly match the weight of the 10 bolt.

The quality of the housing and the welds are top notch through and through. The housing also includes standard sway bar and LCA relocation mounts and a drain plug at no extra charge. Eric also uses Moser axles and Timken set20 tapered bearings that are more durable than the standard bearings the others use.

The torque arm is rock solid and Eric gives you the choice of long or short arm along with the appropriate mount. The short arm mount also has a drive shaft loop. The torque arm also has multiple adjustment points for dialing in instant center. You must run the Midwest torque arm, the stocker wont fit without pointless major re-work.

You can also add 3 or 4 channel ABS. The housing allows you to reuse your existing ABS sensors although sometime Eric might to machine them to dial in the spec.

I am running the Detroit Trutrac and have had no issues with it. I would not run a spool on the street do to safety reasons especially in the rain. It will also wear the tires out quicker. Eric gives you the choice of gear ratio you want, I am running 4.10. The gears run very quiet although the trackbar, due to its tubular design does tend to amplify noise just a bit. I have very very faint noise on decell only.

Cant go wrong with the Midwest fab9.
I currently have a Moser 12 bolt which will be coming out for this. The car will be a weekend street strip car, you still think the spool would be a bad idea?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a great product!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by letsrunem
I currently have a Moser 12 bolt which will be coming out for this. The car will be a weekend street strip car, you still think the spool would be a bad idea?
If the car were classified as a daily driver or vacation car or in my case, my fun car, I would not run a spool. If its just a car you drive to the track and back and occasionally forfun in dry conditions, the spool will be fine assuming you dont forget its back there.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

NOW, ill tell you from EXPERIENCE from someone with a SPOOL who drives it on the street and not from someone who has a LOCKER and says how bad a spool is.....

I have a MWC fab9 WITH a spool and 4.11 gears on a 26'' ET drag tire and its fine on the street. I drive it to local car shows and took it to my works car show that i drive 60mph on the e-way for 20 min and STILL fine. ONLY time its hard is when your steering wheel is locked and moving 2 mph, other then that i cant even tell i have a spool! If i were you i would do it and ditch off all the ABS crap too!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No complaints at all. A true "bolt in" quality part. No difference in drivabilaty from the 10 bolt. I got the 3 channel ABS W/ a trutrac, I've never used a spool. Pics are in my profile.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
NOW, ill tell you from EXPERIENCE from someone with a SPOOL who drives it on the street and not from someone who has a LOCKER and says how bad a spool is.....

I have a MWC fab9 WITH a spool and 4.11 gears on a 26'' ET drag tire and its fine on the street. I drive it to local car shows and took it to my works car show that i drive 60mph on the e-way for 20 min and STILL fine. ONLY time its hard is when your steering wheel is locked and moving 2 mph, other then that i cant even tell i have a spool! If i were you i would do it and ditch off all the ABS crap too!
I hadn't really thought about deleting the ABS, but I'm definitely going to now as I have no use for it.

I understand that the spool will cause some problems in tight crawling speed turns, but what effect would it have if you were takeing a spirited corner? The reason I ask is when my car is on the street, I want it to be streetable. Meaning I'll put the front swaybar on so the corners are a little more fun. How much of a difference will the spool make in fast corners?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

that i cant tell ya cause i have slicks n skinnies with my suspension set-up for the track so all my cornering is slow.

I know NASCAR cars dont run a spool if that means anything.............
Old 12-12-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
that i cant tell ya cause i have slicks n skinnies with my suspension set-up for the track so all my cornering is slow.

I know NASCAR cars dont run a spool if that means anything.............

It's because they hit the corners at 200 and need the left side to unlock. Plus it is in the rule book. There is already too much load on the axles and they are only held in by a little center cap with 3 bolts. A spool would for sure spit an axle out.