LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

ghetto made Borla?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ghetto made Borla?

I've been playing with this idea in my head for a while but I can't quite figure how to execute it. Basically, I got a cutout but kept the stock mufflers so I can have it dead quiet inside the car whenever I want/need it to be. But, I've had an idea where like the F-body borla catback the cutout would lead out to the right side exhaust top and when corked all the exhaust would exit on the left side. I'd be doing this to alleviate some of the resonance inside the car.

Now the problem is if I leave the stock muffler, when I have the cutout closed all the exhaust will have to travel through a 1.75" diameter pipe through one very restrictive muffler put in to handle half the load from the factory. I would have to figure out how to get a 2.5" muffler to take it's place but yet be as quiet as I want it to be. I was thinking some sort of Magnaflow muffler with the factory resonator placed behind it.

Just posting up to get some ideas/suggestions/feedback that I haven't thought about.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it! most or maybe all cutouts are Y type, either the gases go through it and expell out the cut out if its open or they go through the whole exhaust system. The exhaust will travel in the path of least resistance, thats where Im confused in with your project. Have a shop chop the pipe after the res. and install your cutout!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

I already have the cutout installed. I guess it'd help knowing how an adjustable borla f-body catback works, let me see if I can find a link.

Last edited by Red03GT; 12-11-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do what you want man its your car, I just don't see why your trying to get all the exhaust out of one side like that F body pic. If you want to replace your res. with a muff then it seems to me your not going to get any real advantage. Whats wrong with your current setup? seeing you already have the cutout installed?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
Do what you want man its your car, I just don't see why your trying to get all the exhaust out of one side like that F body pic. If you want to replace your res. with a muff then it seems to me your not going to get any real advantage. Whats wrong with your current setup? seeing you already have the cutout installed?
Current set up = cutout dumps just before the Y split to the mufflers. As it dumps under the car = resonance inside the cabin. By having the exhaust exit all the way at the rear of the car it reduces resonance & noise inside the cabin. I don't really want to have an extended turndown added to the cutout as I have it now, that would look funky lol.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay have a shop weld on an extra exhaust pipe to exit the rear of the car! Problem solved! Thank you. I'm sorry I just don't see the real advantage of what your talking about? Might look funky but it works right? Ya know, I paid $540.60 shipped for my MagnaFlow cat back exhaust, with all this monkeying around you prolly could just bought yourself a good quality exhaust system and have been done with it!

Last edited by LS4SPEED; 12-11-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red03GT
Current set up = cutout dumps just before the Y split to the mufflers. As it dumps under the car = resonance inside the cabin. By having the exhaust exit all the way at the rear of the car it reduces resonance & noise inside the cabin. I don't really want to have an extended turndown added to the cutout as I have it now, that would look funky lol.
theres not alot of room under the car to do much work with what your talking about i understand you want to split the exhaust as for the muffler being restrictive im going to guess 1 muffler will be fine. Find a flowmaster 40 or something it just will be louder. Don't you think thats going to look weird tho exhaust only dumping out 1 side of the car while the other pipe is visble ? Like in cold weather n so forth ? lol. The thing is it takes 2 mufflers to make it as quite as it is and when you switch to 1 its going to be louder i doubt its going to cause a problem with its restritiveness

As far as the responce with welding another pipe im going to doubt it will fit. I know my cutout was hard enough to get under the car but finding a place to put another pipe ?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Don't you think thats going to look weird tho exhaust only dumping out 1 side of the car while the other pipe is visble ? Like in cold weather n so forth ? lol. The thing is it takes 2 mufflers to make it as quite as it is and when you switch to 1 its going to be louder i doubt its going to cause a problem with its restritiveness
Yup, the two issues I was thinking about about haha
Old 12-12-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
... you prolly could just bought yourself a good quality exhaust system and have been done with it!
I've thought about it, but there are times when I want it to be no cat, no resonator, open cut out LOUD. And other times when I'll flip the switch on the ecutout and shush it up.