Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjuster Nut/Screw needed... but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjuster Nut/Screw needed... but...

So I replaced the rotors, pads and hardware including guide pins, boots, bolts, anti-rattle plates... everything.

I've got a nasty rattle coming from the driver's side rear wheel. When I took it apart to replace everything, I noticed the adjuster screw was stuck... aka it doesn't turn freely from it's little piston housing. Put everything back together as it's supposed to be. I noticed a noise coming from this weheel so I took it apart, inspected everything and put it back together. Well Well... I've upset something in there because now the parking brake shoes sound like they are bouncing around, vibrating and grinding inside the hat of the rear rotor!!! I'm afriad it's ripping the inside of the rotor surface to shreds.

The dealer wants over $100 for the whole hub mechanism and god knows how much for labor. I asked if I could just purchase the adjuster screw and nut and no dice. What are my alternatives? I want to fix it properly and not slap on some BS, but I don't want to have to spend more than is absolutely necessary... What do you all think?

Please help!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Check out the picture in the second post on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-assembly.html

If your shoe is moving in the drum, check to make sure the clip (part #12) is cliped to the shoe. (You may try comparing sides.) That clip keeps it all in place.

When I recently changed my rotors, I had the same issue. To fix the problem, I had to take the brake apart, clean the parts, separate the two parts of the adjuster screw with screwdrivers and then re-lube everything with caliper grease. Once I did that, the adjuster screw worked like a charm.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

yep, my dealer would not sell just the adjuster ,only the complete kit 114.00 lucky I have a small machine shop and soved the problem, you may try a salvage yard, if unable to save the unit , good luck, Johnny
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Check out the picture in the second post on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-assembly.html

If your shoe is moving in the drum, check to make sure the clip (part #12) is cliped to the shoe. (You may try comparing sides.) That clip keeps it all in place.

When I recently changed my rotors, I had the same issue. To fix the problem, I had to take the brake apart, clean the parts, separate the two parts of the adjuster screw with screwdrivers and then re-lube everything with caliper grease. Once I did that, the adjuster screw worked like a charm.

I'll rip it apart a third time and check this. I attempted to get the adjuster to turn freely, but no amount of "light" tapping of a hammer while the whole piston was held in a vice would make the thing move at all! Any suggestions on how to maybe free this thing up and not have to bother with buying anything new? How'd you get your's to break free?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
I'll rip it apart a third time and check this. I attempted to get the adjuster to turn freely, but no amount of "light" tapping of a hammer while the whole piston was held in a vice would make the thing move at all! Any suggestions on how to maybe free this thing up and not have to bother with buying anything new? How'd you get your's to break free?
Do you have the part out of the brake assemly or are you trying to free it up still in the car? If you look at the drawing on the post linked above, I took the stuck adjuster nut (part #8) and the stuck adjuster screw (part #9) out of the brake assembly. Then I held on to the edges of the adjuster nut (lightly) with a pair of vice grips. (Be sure not to grab the smooth part that rotates in the cylinder - otherwise it will gall and the brake may not wrok properly.) With the nut held, I used a large screw driver stuck in to the wide notch at the end to turn the screw out of the nut.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Save the manuals!

BTW - Buying a new part is not an option. You will probably only be able to get it in a kit as SS_SLP2 pointed out. The mechanim is under patent by a company out of Australia called PBR and finding the individual pieces in the states is near impossible. (That said, there is a company in TX that offers the rubber boots on the back of the brake lever as a separate part - but that's all I've ever found.)
Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WSSIX99 -- I just finished with the car without even reading your last 2 posts. I was, however, able to free it up. The sucker was stuck. I read through that post you gave me the link to very thouroughly as well as a few others I found on her using the search feature and I think I was trying to adjust the star wheel the same way on both sides of the car. Hence why it was moving, in fact I probably tightened it up even MORE! Well, that being said, I was able to free it up with the vice and light hammer tapping. I lubed up the threads and the outside of the housing so that it will turn freely from now one. Thanks so much for the help. I was stumped!

Saved me some $$$ too and that's ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks again!

Adam
Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
I think I was trying to adjust the star wheel the same way on both sides of the car.
Oh yea, sorry I forgot to mention that here. Mine got jammed in the exact same way. Glad to hear you were able to avoid a complete tear-down!