Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

finding quality brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finding quality brake pads

I have an 00 b4c. It came with drilled & slotted rotors on the front. When i first had the front done i had the rotors turned and replaced the brake pads. I used the best ceramic pads duralast had. Wrong idea from what i hear. So, those started making noise after a few weeks. pads werent worn at all but made noise like they were shot. I had someone tell me that i need to get my brake pads from napa. I got the 78 dolar ones. 2nd from the best they had. Ive had them a lil over a month. Same thing with these. Just like the duralasts. Whats the deal here? What brake pads wont start making worn noise after a month when the pads are still brand new? Is there another issue here? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xTraViSx
I have an 00 b4c. It came with drilled & slotted rotors on the front. When i first had the front done i had the rotors turned and replaced the brake pads. I used the best ceramic pads duralast had. Wrong idea from what i hear. So, those started making noise after a few weeks. pads werent worn at all but made noise like they were shot. I had someone tell me that i need to get my brake pads from napa. I got the 78 dolar ones. 2nd from the best they had. Ive had them a lil over a month. Same thing with these. Just like the duralasts. Whats the deal here? What brake pads wont start making worn noise after a month when the pads are still brand new? Is there another issue here? Thanks.
Ever look into hawk pads?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hawk HPS pads with Brembo rotors for me. HUGE difference from whatever autozone stuff was on there before. Nice and quiet with not that much brake dusting
Old 12-26-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Duralast ceramic pads with the Duralast rotors. I installed everything brand new so I have no noise and it stops good, probably not like the Hawk pads though. I sprayed the whole rotor with a chrome (looks metallic silver) rust paint because these rotors aren't coated. I will buy again.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have also had luck reducing brake squeak by making sure everything was lubricated as it should be. i.e. fresh grease on the caliper slide pins, a little grease on the brake pad guides and a little grease on the back of the brake pads where they contact the caliper. I always use CRC Brake Caliper Grease.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

I used brake lube on the backing & on the ends of the pad. I didnt put any lube on the caliper pins. Could be my issue. The pads are still brand new. They have maybe 5000 miles on them.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running Porterfield Racing's street compound on my ride. I've had them on there for about 5 summers, so far, and I'm satisfied with them.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:46 AM
9 Second Club

Every car ive had that ive really cared about get Hawk pads. They are great. For the DD that i dont care so much about, the cheap autozone stuff will do.

Chris
Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

i have duralast ceramic pads and i have 0 noise. i installed them on my old unturned rotors and had no problems(had to it's my dd, old pad failed and was carving groove into rotor, had no $$) at first my little guide plates were making noise but that goes away after a day or two.

how are you breaking them in?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TORK?
Hawk HPS pads with Brembo rotors for me. HUGE difference from whatever autozone stuff was on there before. Nice and quiet with not that much brake dusting
+2 same here..

Quick Reply: finding quality brake pads