Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trying To Understand Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trying To Understand Wiring

Mods please feel free to move this to an appropriate location. I tried Stero and Electronics and really got no luck...

Ok here it goes. I am jsut realyl frustrated trying to understand how to wire up switeches and what not. right now i have an e-cut out switch in my car (already installed). My buddy installed it for me. Now i have been doing some searching lately and i am gettign frustrated b/c now i want to learn how to wire things up. IE: manual fan switch, e-cutout, linelock, kill switch and more.

I dont understand where everyone is tapping into. What 12v source? And is everyone using the ground that is right under the center sounsel by the shifter?

I want to get that cubbyhole plate the DrgaonZ28 is offering. But i have no idea on how to wire in anything

Sorry if i am all over the place. I am an electrical newb, and i want to learn. But when seraching i have not learned anyhting yet

Please help and make me understand

Thanks

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 12-26-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12v source is any constant 12v power...this means its provides 12v all the time
12v switched is a 12v source that is only powerd when key is on

ground is any wire going to the chassis

you should use as relays when needed so you dont need to run such a heavy duty switch and let the relay take the load. this is also much safer

if at all possible always use switched power for anything thing that turns on and off. this way you can shut car off and never worry about having something stuck on

as for the Efans no reason to have them turn on viva a switch, they are controlled from factory with a temp sensor. Fans running when the Tstat isnt opening is just wasting energy. if you want fans on at alower temp have it reprogrammed

as for a 12v switched you tap into the fuse panel that is on the driverside of dash for incar wiring, under hood wiring tap into that fuse panel out there

also for proper wiring use the same size ground or slightly larger then power wire. you never wnat your ground smaller then your 12v source in DC. Also make sure to always use proper gauge wiring for the current draw or else youll have a fire down the road
Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ElectronSS
as for the Efans no reason to have them turn on viva a switch, they are controlled from factory with a temp sensor. Fans running when the Tstat isnt opening is just wasting energy. if you want fans on at alower temp have it reprogrammed
Not true. It's nice to have the fans cooling your car down with the keys out whether you're in staging lanes or about to work on your car in the garage. There is a reason why so many people have fan switches

The fan switch is a bit different than a normal switched source. In order to control this off your own switch, you must find the correct pin and have it switched to a ground source. Only way to do this is to reverse the polarity via relay.

You're asking very broad questions here
Old 12-26-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Not true. It's nice to have the fans cooling your car down with the keys out whether you're in staging lanes or about to work on your car in the garage. There is a reason why so many people have fan switches

The fan switch is a bit different than a normal switched source. In order to control this off your own switch, you must find the correct pin and have it switched to a ground source. Only way to do this is to reverse the polarity via relay.

You're asking very broad questions here
I know how the manual fans switch runs, i found a write up and tell you what pins to run it in line with. But how do you tap into the wiring already on the car? What type of connectors do you need?

Where is there a constant 12v source running on the car? How do you tap into that? Also where is there a 12v source powered only when the key is in the on postion? Where do you tap into that?

Sorry for the broad questions. Brain how did you wire up your switch panel?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I know how the manual fans switch runs, i found a write up and tell you what pins to run it in line with. But how do you tap into the wiring already on the car? What type of connectors do you need?

Where is there a constant 12v source running on the car? How do you tap into that? Also where is there a 12v source powered only when the key is in the on postion? Where do you tap into that?

Sorry for the broad questions. Brain how did you wire up your switch panel?
To tap into wiring, the most common way is to piggy back with a scotchlock connector:

You can find those just about anywhere.

A constant power source refers to power whether the car has ignition or not. You can tap into any constant power source, there are many. I believe the orange wire off the cigarette lighter is constant. A good way to to find your power source is to get a 12v light tester.

All of my wiring I have fused to the fuse panel. I believe this to be much safer. There are open constant and ignition power slots in there.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 AM
Banned

be notted using that Quick tap is dangerous, they can lead to shorts since they arent intended to carry a good amount of current. If you are using them then us them as a signal and not a load carrying wire.

if you want to do it right tap off the fuse box, you can get inserts that slide over the fuse prong or could even get a Fuse'd insert that plugs in like a fuse but as a spade terminal end on it
Old 12-27-2008, 05:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to do it right tap off the fuse box, you can get inserts that slide over the fuse prong or could even get a Fuse'd insert that plugs in like a fuse but as a spade terminal end on it
What exactly are those called? I know they have a name but I forgot, lol.

As stated, a constant 12V wire is something that has power (hot wire) running through it whether the car is on or off, key is in or out, etc. The one I used for my ram air lights is the cigarette lighter. I used the power wire to power everything, and the cigarette lighter ground to ground the switch. It was an LED switch so it needed a ground for the light. I have yet to tap into the fusebox, but there are accessory ports on there. "IGN" is one that is only hot when the key is turned to ON I believe. There are two other ones too.. but I forgot what they say. I think one is always constant and the other is when the door opens and stuff, like when your map lights come on (I think?) could be wrong. I've used plenty of those quick splices, their pretty awesome. I didn't know ANYTHING about wiring when I had my first car, a Camaro.. But I just went for it. You'll be fine, just use common sense
Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

To tap into wiring, the most common way is to piggy back with a scotchlock connector:

You can find those just about anywhere.

A constant power source refers to power whether the car has ignition or not. You can tap into any constant power source, there are many. I believe the orange wire off the cigarette lighter is constant. A good way to to find your power source is to get a 12v light tester.

All of my wiring I have fused to the fuse panel. I believe this to be much safer. There are open constant and ignition power slots in there.
Do you have pics of your fuse? Are you using the on inside the car? Or the one that is om the right side? Do you just wrap the wire to bottom metal **** of thefues and put it back in?

Also Brian where did you get your Pioneer radio?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have pics of your fuse? Are you using the on inside the car? Or the one that is om the right side? Do you just wrap the wire to bottom metal **** of thefues and put it back in?

Also Brian where did you get your Pioneer radio?
As Electron SS said, you can get connectors that fit in the slots of the fuse panel. You just crimp your wire on the connector, slide it in the slot, fuse it, and route your wire.

I got my pioneer from best buy, I now have an alpine
Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

As Electron SS said, you can get connectors that fit in the slots of the fuse panel. You just crimp your wire on the connector, slide it in the slot, fuse it, and route your wire.

I got my pioneer from best buy, I now have an alpine
Your Pioneer, did it have an infared for a remote? B/C i still want to use my steering wheel controls..
Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have a pic of this or do you know where i can get this from?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a pic of this or do you know where i can get this from?
Also interested..
Old 12-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Banned

automotive supply places have them on their electrical shelves. i dont have a pic or know the proper name. just know when i go to the store i know what im looking for.sorry that doesnt give you exactly the answer you want. just go to a store that arent full of idiots and ask them, if thye dont have them they should have a book that has all kinds of electical connectors.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

automotive supply places have them on their electrical shelves. i dont have a pic or know the proper name. just know when i go to the store i know what im looking for.sorry that doesnt give you exactly the answer you want. just go to a store that arent full of idiots and ask them, if thye dont have them they should have a book that has all kinds of electical connectors.
My friend was trying to explain that samething to me. I would try to do a search but i wouldn't know what i am looking for