Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

po336 issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default po336 issue

i searched around, but couldn't find a solution, so here goes..

On Tuesday i drove my camaro ('01 Z28) to and from company xmas party, and everything was fine, car runing smooth, no SES light, etc.

I go out the next morning and it fights with me to start, finally does and it's horrible! Running rough, backfiring/misfiring, sputtering and then stall. Finally kicked on the SES and recovered the po336 code. Replaced the sensor, and same thing. Have never dug very far into the ls1 engines, so i have it towed off to the dealer for some diagnostics. Near the end of today they called and they suspect a broken reluctor ring...

Q1 - Ok, if that's it, what does that entail? Disassembly of engine to get it off/on the crank??

Q2 - How does something like that happen?!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suspect a broken reluctor ring? I don't know about that it doesn't sound right to me. But if it is true, then yes they will have to pull the engine and remove the crank and press on a new reluctor wheel. The only thing i can think of is that maybe you have to much crank end-play and maybe that caused it to break or get damaged. Did they do a crank relearn? You are supposed to when you replace the crankshaft position sensor.Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 AM

Broken or damaged is what they suspected. Is it possible it's the piston? I see that they are made to clear the reluctor, but.. if endplay/wear is a factor? I only say that because on occasion (maybe twice in 3 years i've had it), i will try to start it, and that starter will not turn. Not the battery, and not the starter. But i can let it sit awhile again, and it starts fine. You can tell me if that all sounds crazy.

And the removal and teardown doesn't amuse me in the least. All the labor cost to change a $50 part.. Would about justify going for a new short/long block instead. O.O Would love to do it myself, even have a shop to use, but it's my DD. The company van is '04 Venture.. not quite doin it for me.

At any rate, they told me they'd know more *maybe* tomorrow, likely monday. /sigh
Old 12-27-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

damn that sucks and i hate to know what they would charge for that.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chux77
Broken or damaged is what they suspected. Is it possible it's the piston? I see that they are made to clear the reluctor, but.. if endplay/wear is a factor? I only say that because on occasion (maybe twice in 3 years i've had it), i will try to start it, and that starter will not turn. Not the battery, and not the starter. But i can let it sit awhile again, and it starts fine. You can tell me if that all sounds crazy.

And the removal and teardown doesn't amuse me in the least. All the labor cost to change a $50 part.. Would about justify going for a new short/long block instead. O.O Would love to do it myself, even have a shop to use, but it's my DD. The company van is '04 Venture.. not quite doin it for me.

At any rate, they told me they'd know more *maybe* tomorrow, likely monday. /sigh
Its possible but i dont really think so. The car not starting sometimes may be related to another problem like a theft deterent problem Good luck let us know.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 PM

only news today.. the first techs seem to have scratched their heads and confirmed it's an internal problem, so it went to the "engine guys". Still don't know what went wrong in there. o.O Hopefully tomorrow i'll know the damages and can weigh the options. But it's sounding more and more expensive. A drop and swap for an ls6 is looking pretty good from where i'm sitting atm though.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

It's kind of hard to believe that you have a broken reluctor ring. What I have seen is backed out terminal or broken wires inside the sensor connector. Anyways keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ollyshawn
It's kind of hard to believe that you have a broken reluctor ring. What I have seen is backed out terminal or broken wires inside the sensor connector. Anyways keep us posted on the outcome.
+1 never heard of one just breaking or falling off, its pressed on damnit!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 PM

I don't know. blackLS1m6 makes a good point about the endplay. Can see that, but i'd guess it would be intermitant, perhaps gradually get worse.. It's the overnite thing that gets me. Literally overnite. As it sat quietly in the driveway. *scratches head* Hopefully answers tomorrow..
Old 12-29-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chux77
I don't know. blackLS1m6 makes a good point about the endplay. Can see that, but i'd guess it would be intermitant, perhaps gradually get worse.. It's the overnite thing that gets me. Literally overnite. As it sat quietly in the driveway. *scratches head* Hopefully answers tomorrow..
Well it is an idea, but a long shot at best. I think if you had a lot of endplay that engine would be very noisy. That definitely wouldn't break overnite If you do end up putting an LS6 long block in it, make sure you get your LS1 long block back.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM

They finally found the problem. A bent Reluctor ring. Technically i think they found the effect of the problem, but not the cause. But anyway, the wallet damage is $4,900 estimate, because of not knowing until they get into it what all needs replacing. Well f* that. Told em to put it back together.

a performance shop few blocks from work quoted me @ a little over 5k for ls6 short block, new springs, catted Y pipe and long tube headers. Installed w/ Dyno & Tune. Estimating 15-20 hp more than what i currently have.

being the shop they are, they gave me 2 quotes, what you need, and what you want. The want list includes new Cam and most of the valvetrain replaced w/ goodies. estimating 400-430 hp when done. Fun comes with a price tag though, all said and done would be closer to $8k.

At any rate, the ls1 short block is exiting the building. Can't justify paying rebuild labor w/o the rebuild. Putting the cart before the horse so to speak, the money managers call in the end. /sigh.

If it goes how i'm fairly certain it will, i'll get the ls1 shorty back & can hopefully determine wtf happened in there. ^^
Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

How long have you had the car? Is removing the engine something you can do?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 PM

kinda funny, actually had the car 3 years to the day it messed up. I could if i had a lift. Rebuilt some engines, but usually they come out the top. A friend of a friend works @ another dealership and does some after hours work to help people out, but he said this'd have the lift tied up a couple days, hard to camouflage that.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Unhappy *update*

Officially, the paperwork from the dealership says "loose" reluctor. Fun.

The powers that be said no to the money, so it's now keeping the driveway from running away. Likely going to sell it as is, will try the speed shop that gave me quotes on ls6 short/long/crate options. They've got some crazy lsx stuff going on over there.

Anyhow, looking @ 2nd gen T/A's atm. Miss the '79 that got stolen. lol. Love the power of the ls engines, someday may stuff one in something old (translation: something i have the equipment to work on). Engine hoists not much use when it comes out of the bottom.

Quick Reply: po336 issue