Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Head

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Head

What's the best performing set of stage 2 heads for a stock displacement LS1? I plan on going with a pretty large cam and am contemplating dropping in some new heads at the same time or at least not long after.

What's the best set I could get? MTI, TR, GTP, IRS, other... ?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:17 PM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Good Head

there are a ton of them aout there. many of them making great numbers and performing well. some of the names you mentioned are very good but be careful when taking outright suggestions from people. everyone has an opinion of which is best and who to stay away from but thats what they are...opinions. kinda like the ford and chevy thing. people with x brand will talk aboout their's and people with y brand will do the same. i recommend that you do some searching around the internal section and pay attention to what people are saying. there is a little bashing going on with different brands between some sponsors customers and even though rivalry is cool to a degree, some let it get out of hand. look at what is recommended and what the person is running themselves. some people will be bias. just human nature i guess. after some searching around make a few calls on the ones you are interested in. customer service means the world to me and many others shelling out grips of cash. look for product backing and reps witht the patience to answer all of your questions. also take into consideration the side post that that person is making. look into their post history and see if they seem to be knowing of what they are talking about. are they eighteen and on top of the world or have they been around the block a few times. (not that i havent seem a few young guys with grips of knowledge)
hope this helps some. pm me if you have anymore questions.....troy

Old 09-29-2003, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I've done quite a bit of research but I'm looking to see a set of collective opinions in one thread.

Opinions welcome.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to heads I think it comes down to how much you want to spend, and I think you reach a point of diminishing returns very quickly. I'd say go with a set of TEA or Patriot heads and save some big bucks, because the really expenive heads are only a little better anyway. JMHO of course, but you said you wanted oppinions. BTW, I think LPE heads are the best if price is no object.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

I mirror some of the sentiments above. TEA, Absolute Speed and Patriot defintely "bang for the buck". If money isn't an object, go MTI or GTP but I would avoid IRS. A guy I know has them and his car does well, just not as good as he'd like. Only my opinion.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:22 AM
11 Second Club

I just installed my FOURTH set of ported heads on my car (in less than a year) this past weekend.. every set of them have been patriots. I upgraded to the new LS6 style head and IMHO is one of the best heads you can buy.. BUT the 5.3 head is the best "bang for the buck"
Old 09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

I'm the kinda guy that only likes to do things ONCE! So I'm willing to spend the money on the best heads now instead of potentially replacing them later with something "better". However, that being said, if an extra $2k only gets me 10 HP then I don't see that as being worth the money.

I also plan on stroking the engine later on(maybe a year or so), does it make sense to go ahead and buy stage 3 heads, or do I really need to wait until after I stroke it for that?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you plan on a stroker then save up and build it all at once, looks like you got a dry shot for now.