Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRE/Comp rockers installation, part 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:14 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default DRE/Comp rockers installation, part 1

Well I recieved my rockers friday and finally picked up my cylinder heads with the new springs and a couple of new valves. The cylinder heads now use Comp Cams 977 springs and Patriot Performance Custom Titanium retainers to allow for .060 more installed height. The 977s were setup at 1.840 installed height and are fine for lifts up to .620 maybe even more.

The DRE/Comp rockers are very nice units, they seem to cut alittle weight from the rocker assembly. They have a main bar that bolts to the cylinder head and each pair of rockers use 3 bolts to attach the rockers to the mounting bar. I mocked up the rockers and measured the cup height difference between the Stock/Yella Terra's and the DRE/Comps. The DRE's had a .200 shorter cup height which would require a shorter pushrod. So that makes the 7.350 now a 7.150. I cut a stock pushrod, shortened it, tapped it, and basically made a makeshift pushrod length checker to verify that 7.150 was the right length.

Well the 7.150 was the right length but the new geometry of the rocker keeps the roller tip within .020 of the center of the valve but moves the cup in order to clear the stock valve covers. Now the pushrods rub the cylinder head pushrod holes. Off the heads come and out comes the die grinder. I slotted the holes .090 -.120 and now they have adequate clearance. The pushrods are on order from Summit and will be here wednesday so no new news until then. The top half of the motor is going to get assembled tomorrow so when the pushrods come all I have to do is set the valve lash, go through a heat cycle and recheck the valve lash.

The intake manifold is already setup with the 42# injectors and the Meziere is ready to be bolted to the block. Well see what this does.....
Phillip
Old 09-30-2003, 10:48 AM
7 Second Club

Default Re: DRE/Comp rockers installation, part 1

TTT, I guess no one cares.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phillip ..

I see you have a TEA logo under your username.

You stated "finally picked up my cylinder heads with the new springs and a couple of new valves. The cylinder heads now use Comp Cams 977 springs and [Patriot Performance] Custom Titanium retainers"

Just wondering if you jumped ship on TEA and are using Patriot heads now?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:59 AM
7 Second Club

No, I am still using TEA heads, going to the 977 springs I needed more install height since I am running custom valves. Patriot is the ONLY company on the market that offers a custom retainer.
Phillip
Old 09-30-2003, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil,
I've been following all the valvetrain trouble you've had. I really hope this gets everything stable. I know that car is going to make some killer numbers when you get it ironed out. You have alot more patience than I do!!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

sounds cool Phil,

just one quick question, do you think that the the rockers were designed around clearing the stock valve covers? if thats the case, wouldnt we want a set of rockers that were designed around working the valve train effectifely and just require spacers if they didnt clear? im just wanting to know your opinion here. i like comp's stuff, but if im spending the money, i want a rocker that's designed to work, and not just to clear valve covers.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:12 AM
7 Second Club

Gomer,
Hey, I have been following your car also. Terry seems pretty excited about these new heads. The last time I dynoed the car laid down 443/408, injectors were maxing out and the power was on a 15-20degree curve before it went into valve float. I think if the curve continued it would have picked up 5-15rwhp, add an electric water pump, some more tuning, things are going to get really interesting really quickly.
Phillip
Old 09-30-2003, 11:16 AM
7 Second Club

sounds cool Phil,

just one quick question, do you think that the the rockers were designed around clearing the stock valve covers? if thats the case, wouldnt we want a set of rockers that were designed around working the valve train effectifely and just require spacers if they didnt clear? im just wanting to know your opinion here. i like comp's stuff, but if im spending the money, i want a rocker that's designed to work, and not just to clear valve covers.
Vince,
Very good post, I have talked in length with some very knowledgeable people about valvetrain geometry. They assured me that these rockers would perform better hands down. The fact that they are designed to fit under the valve cover is an added plus. If you think about it, rocker geometry/pushrod angle is only optimized at one point in the cycle.
Phillip
Old 09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
7 Second Club

BTW these rockers came with high recommendation from Gallant Technical Performance who doesn't sell them.
Phillip
Old 09-30-2003, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

How do you think those compare to the T&Ds? They look like a quality piece from what I've seen. Any shimming required under the stand, or do they just bolt in and go?
Old 09-30-2003, 02:42 PM
7 Second Club

LOnSLO,
I honestly dont know, I have always like the T & D's and I would have gone with them if they were the same price. The ones I just purchased had a few contingincies with the purchase which made it a no-brianer.
Phillip
Old 09-30-2003, 03:01 PM
jfm
10 Second Club

Phil,great info.I have my set but have had no time to try on the test motor.My new heads will use the 977 springs also so set up should be similar.

The rockers are trick looking and if they will fit under the stock covers that will be a big plus,please keep us updated and I should get my *** movin in a day or so to test fit mine.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:08 PM
7 Second Club

Oh....these rockers will clear any retainer setup on the market. I have custom retainers which move the reatiner up .060 and they clear with room to spare.
Phillip