LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hard starts after car sits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't start after car sits overnight?

94 z28

After the car sits overnight it will crank and crank and crank and then sometimes fire, reminds me of a flooded carb, after it finally starts it runs/idles fine.

Even if I let it sit for a couple hours it doesn't start right up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit : Won't start now, see below.

Last edited by NitrousJunkie; 12-28-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Old 12-27-2008, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

did you check your fuel pressure?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I know exactly what your car is doing I bet, mine is doing the same. Try this. When you go to start your car, turn the key on and off and listen for the fuel pump to prime. Turn the key back and forth and let the fuel pump do a complete prime for about 10 times. If the car fires up quick, you're fuel pump's check valve is bad and you need to replace the pump.

My car is the exact way, and a new Racetronix 255 fuel pump will be in soon!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Good Idea, I thought a possible clogged or partially clogged fuel filter but the thing runs like a raped ape once its up and running, that's what confuses me.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I know exactly what your car is doing I bet, mine is doing the same. Try this. When you go to start your car, turn the key on and off and listen for the fuel pump to prime. Turn the key back and forth and let the fuel pump do a complete prime for about 10 times. If the car fires up quick, you're fuel pump's check valve is bad and you need to replace the pump.

My car is the exact way, and a new Racetronix 255 fuel pump will be in soon!
Will try that in a few hours after it cools down

Only thing is does yours run good when it finally starts? Mine run's awesome, no blips jumps in the rpm's, nothing - It's just getting it to start when its been sitting.

Last edited by NitrousJunkie; 12-27-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Tried the let the fuel pump prime 10x this morning, didnt start and the battery is completely dead now, it spits and sputters usually after it stops cranking but won't fire, problem is its sitting in my apartment parking lot and not in the garage across town, yay for working on car's outside in the snow when it's 40 degree's.

I'm going to check the plugs and fuel pressure and see what I can come up with but I thought I'd leave an update in case anyone has any other idea's.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hollo you said "When you go to start your car, turn the key on and off and listen for the fuel pump to prime. Turn the key back and forth and let the fuel pump do a complete prime for about 10 times. If the car fires up quick, you're fuel pump's check valve is bad and you need to replace the pump"

my car does that with a brand new fuel pump is the check valve part of the fuel pump ???
Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Run a fuel pressure test on it. I had an instance of this and it was fuel injectors leaking fairly bad causing the car to have to much fuel on start up. You priming the car that much may have just straight flooded the hell out of the cylinders. Or, pull your rails up and out of the intake leaving them connected with power and fuel. Prime they car by putting it in run and watch for dripping of spitting fuel from the injectors.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by baylove
hollo you said "When you go to start your car, turn the key on and off and listen for the fuel pump to prime. Turn the key back and forth and let the fuel pump do a complete prime for about 10 times. If the car fires up quick, you're fuel pump's check valve is bad and you need to replace the pump"

my car does that with a brand new fuel pump is the check valve part of the fuel pump ???
Yes the check valve is in the pump, so I would recommend you check your fuel pressure too on the rails.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

That's exactly what mine was doing when the head gasket went. Everyone told me to change the fuel filter, make sure the ignition system was working, etc. Eventually, the motor just hydrolocked before I could catch it.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Storms of War
That's exactly what mine was doing when the head gasket went. Everyone told me to change the fuel filter, make sure the ignition system was working, etc. Eventually, the motor just hydrolocked before I could catch it.
That give's me hope lol

Went out today, 40 degree's apposed to sub 20's when it wouldnt start and it cranked for about 2 seconds and fired, sputters and hesitates at idle and through the rpm's still though so this must be a very cold only problem?

When started cold (it if it starts) it starts at 1200ish rpm or so then slowly drops down to 800 or so - Should it be starting at a higher rpm?

Testing fuel pressure, replacing plugs and fuel filter tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's ongoing help.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

I've had these issues with a bad FPR.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NitrousJunkie
That give's me hope lol

Went out today, 40 degree's apposed to sub 20's when it wouldnt start and it cranked for about 2 seconds and fired, sputters and hesitates at idle and through the rpm's still though so this must be a very cold only problem?

When started cold (it if it starts) it starts at 1200ish rpm or so then slowly drops down to 800 or so - Should it be starting at a higher rpm?

Testing fuel pressure, replacing plugs and fuel filter tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's ongoing help.
Check your coolant level while you're at it

Quick Reply: Hard starts after car sits?