LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

supercharged 3.8 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharged 3.8 questions

So I just recently bought an 06 Grand Prix GT with the supercharged 3.8. I couldnt afford to spring for the GTP cuz of medical bills from my recent back surgeries...well in actuality I didnt shop around enough to find a good deal on one. Anyway, Ireally like it and wanna do something with it. I know itll never be what an F body has the potential to be, but its certainly fun to drive and has a respectable amount of potential so Ive heard. Does anyone know how the quality of the performance packages on 3800seriesIIperformance.com stand up and what the performance gains are?? Im thinking about just going with a basic bolt on and pc upgrade. Lemme know if you know of anyone who has done this.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

check out ww.clubgp.com for help
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

GPONA.com (i think thats what it is) is another good resource. And as far as the GT vs. GTP I believe you would have had to get one a little older because eventually with the edition of the GXP they phased out the GTP and the GT moved from the NA 3800 to the supercharged engine. But yea, those sites will be a little more help than here. Goodluck.

Oh, and as far as potential, you'd be surprised at what those supercharged engines are capable of. There are L67's in the 10's and the L32 which is what I believe yours has is essentially the same with the exception of a different supercharger and a few other tweaks. FWD may not be the best platform, but that aside, there's a hell of alot of potential with those engines.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saginaw tx i love it up there away from all the bull **** in dallas
Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

sure there isnt bullshit everywhere in texas?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Launching!

just do a basic 3.4 setup which is the 3.4 pulley, cai, tune or pcm upgrade, 3" dp, and a couple other little things and u will be happy with it as a DD. check out clubgp.com and theyll hook ya up.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I agree GPONA.com, clubGP, will give you good ideas.
not to talk down, but I hear a lot of the 3.8 guys complain about parts from ZZP Performance. They have shitty customer service and parts. Basically its a performance store with quanity not quality. I had a shitty experience with them when I had a NA 3.8 MCSS a year and 1/2 ago. I ordered a HV3 throttle body, got it hooked it up and my car ran very hard, then it hydrolocked I took it off & put the stock back on. Called them the next day, told them the situation, they ask me to review the info, and came out it was a HV3 throttle body for a damn supercharged 3.8 difference? The SCTB does not have port holes for the coolant to run thru. So guess what?? my spark plugs were semerged in antifreeze and it was also in upper intake. Here's the kicker, all they said they could do was send more spark plugs!!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to argue, just giving a different opinion. My friend (99 GTP) and I (when I had a 03 MCSS) have had great experiences with ZZP. Everything we've ordered has been great. Their customer service was also top notch. They answered every e-mail almost instantaneously and they even answered stupid questions for us over the phone.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Never heard of a problem with ZZP.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll second the poor customer service from ZZP story. I've never bought any parts from them or used any of their parts, I know a number of the 3.8 N/A and 3.8 Superchargered W-Body owners who have had troubles with them. They're great guys on the phone, friendly, politely, knwoledgable, but once they have the cash they're basically done with you. Very minimal post sale support.

I've seen some of the parts and been somewhat underwhelmed with the quality of the parts given the price ZZP wants for them. There is a huge market for W-Body support and personally I'd take my money to other vendors.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
I'll second the poor customer service from ZZP story. I've never bought any parts from them or used any of their parts, I know a number of the 3.8 N/A and 3.8 Superchargered W-Body owners who have had troubles with them. They're great guys on the phone, friendly, politely, knwoledgable, but once they have the cash they're basically done with you. Very minimal post sale support.

I've seen some of the parts and been somewhat underwhelmed with the quality of the parts given the price ZZP wants for them. There is a huge market for W-Body support and personally I'd take my money to other vendors.
There ya go,....

I also have a friend of mine with a 04 Dale Jr. MCSS, he recieved a very faulty ported manifold, that wasn't even coated, faulty, & etc. Manifold was returned to exchange for a more reliable product. He made a status check call during the second week of it being back at ZZP. He told my friend that the machine was down & it wouldn't be for another 2 to 3 weeks! Zoomer acted very nonchalant & ended the phone call. My friend had no choice but to get: "someone with less patience"(female) to have a couple of words with Zoomer! Well,. New Manifold ship!! Now that wasn't so hard, was it? So why the run around?? But that wasn't his 1st run in with ZZP. See ZZP suppose to be an online performance store is not a "as is" sale.
I hate getting into ordeals with companies,.......but I man's got to do what a man's got to do
Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look at my sig for the 2nd car. It runs as good as my GXP does without the tranny problems. It is easily a mid-13 second car. Most of the mods now you can find real cheap. Good luck.

-Mike