Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter tray loose after helicoil

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lifter tray loose after helicoil

I bought a used block and there were quite a few stripped threads in it that had to be fixed. One was one of the lifter tray bolt holes. I bought a helicoil and went ahead and fixed it. The bolt threads in and tightens up perfect now but for some reason when its fully tight the lifter tray still has a little play. After I put the heads on I dont think its going to go anywhere or move but is there a chance that a lifter could spin in the tray or somthing? Im really not sure what to do. I dont know if the helicoil went too far down into the bolt hole or what
Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

A lifter could spin the the lifter tray, but not unless the tray becomes totally loose.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would tap it out for a bigger bolt, just to be on the safe side...
Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
I bought a used block and there were quite a few stripped threads in it that had to be fixed. One was one of the lifter tray bolt holes. I bought a helicoil and went ahead and fixed it. The bolt threads in and tightens up perfect now but for some reason when its fully tight the lifter tray still has a little play. After I put the heads on I dont think its going to go anywhere or move but is there a chance that a lifter could spin in the tray or somthing? Im really not sure what to do. I dont know if the helicoil went too far down into the bolt hole or what
try and use a shorter bolt and snug the bolt up with red loctite.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have the correct bolt? The correct bolt is a shoulder bolt to prevent cracking the tray. If the block is used, then there is a chance the bolt is not correct either.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like vettenuts said. The bolt has a shoulder on it to keep the bolt from cracking and to center the lifter tray. Your bolt is bottoming out on the helicoil , Drop the helicoil down in the block by the amount of the shoulder on the bolt.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The lifter tray should not be tight when the bolt is tight. The bolt keeps it in place, but it needs some "float" to work right. The shoulder bottoms on the block when tightened, it is normal for the tray to still move a bit. If you lock it down tight the lifters could get bound and cause the tray to break.

Kurt
Old 12-29-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427
The lifter tray should not be tight when the bolt is tight. The bolt keeps it in place, but it needs some "float" to work right. The shoulder bottoms on the block when tightened, it is normal for the tray to still move a bit. If you lock it down tight the lifters could get bound and cause the tray to break.

Kurt
I think the bolt is going to have to be ground down just a little. The other trays have a little bit of movement like you guys are talking about but this one is just enough to make me feel uneasy at 7K rpm. It's definitely not going anywhere but what I was worried about was the possibility of a lifter spinning.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the bolt is going to have to be ground down just a little. The other trays have a little bit of movement like you guys are talking about but this one is just enough to make me feel uneasy at 7K rpm. It's definitely not going anywhere but what I was worried about was the possibility of a lifter spinning.
I would first examine the heli-coil, make sure it is deep enough that it is not the issue. If you have the correct bolt, there really isn't much else that would cause the problem you have. Personally, I wouldn't touch the bolt itself.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense intended but did you break off the tang as the last step in the Helicoil installation?

http://www.emhart.com/products/helic...esign.asp#tang

Quick Reply: Lifter tray loose after helicoil