Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail Panel Speakers...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sail Panel Speakers...need help!

Well I'm sure I'm going to get told to do a search, but I have and can't find my direct answer.

Ok, so I just bought another Trans Am it's a 1996, whoever had it before me rewired every speaker in the car, bypassed the hatch speakers and had two 12" subs in the ttop area. I have since taken out all of the wire they put in and wired the speakers back up to the stock wiring, and removed the subs and all of the amps. All of the speakers are working except for the sail panels. When i first wired up the right side speaker it was working then my battery died and i had to jump the car. when i did this it didnt work. i thought maybe something happened to the speaker so i wired up the other one and it also does not work. i'm not really sure what to do. my new headunit is the alpine CDA-9884. i dont really want to sacrifice my hatch speakers. any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone???
Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Best advice pay someone to fix it...gonna cost you but if they f up anyting doign it they fix it not u. check your area for custom audio people, just went through the same deal with the wife's durango, had a alpine w505 dvd/ navi put in and a 12 in screen on the roof, I probably coulf have done it but the only thing that held me back was f in up the headliner.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

the sail panel speakers have a stock amp wired to them. it might be in the rear deck area right in front of the spare tire. or it could be located just underneath the right sail panel speaker. if i remember right, you can power the amp with a pre-amp wire if your head unit has that wire.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

black sunshine is correct - the 10-speaker system in early 4th generation Firebirds had an amp that powered only the sail panel subs. It is located behind the right sail trim panel below the right speaker next to the rear seat. I can't remember how it's labeled but there is a fuse that could be blown. On newer Monsoon systems the fuse is labeled RADIO ACCY. I would check that first.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
black sunshine is correct - the 10-speaker system in early 4th generation Firebirds had an amp that powered only the sail panel subs. It is located behind the right sail trim panel below the right speaker next to the rear seat. I can't remember how it's labeled but there is a fuse that could be blown. On newer Monsoon systems the fuse is labeled RADIO ACCY. I would check that first.
yeah i was hoping you would chime in on this. i had been reading alot of the other sail panel speaker problem threads. i checked the pwr accy fuse and all most all of the fuses but nothing is blown. i found the amp and switch it with the one in my 95 and i got nothing. is there anything else that i can check?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The next thing I would check is continuity in the wiring for the amp. The previous owner may have cut or disconnected some of the factory wiring.

Use a multimeter to check that you have continuity in the wires between the amp connector and the speaker above it. If so, then check the signal input wires from the head unit to the amp connector (that may be more difficult due to the distance - you'll probably have to extend your meter probe wires). I'm sorry I don't have a pinout for that model so I can't tell you which wire colors to test but I would think the wires would be the same color at both ends.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so I thought that maybe it was blown speakers so i went ahead and replaced all the speakers in my car with kickers. So i hooked them up and...nothing...