I hate crap in the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I hate crap in the road

Well I'm driving to work last night minding my own business on Hwy 35 south of Waxahachie and all of a sudden my car jumps and I hear this loud crash. i pull over and the front left spoiler, part of my bumper, my brake cooling duct and half of my wheel well is missing. I have no idea what I hit because it was dark and I was going around 70 but I'm pissed. Now I have to take it and get it fixed. I wish they could at least keep our roads clean
Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Understand that you are upset, but if you hit something that caused that much damage, 3 things come to mind:
You were not focusing on the road
or you need better headlights
or you were driving faster than you should.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Sucks about your car. I am curious though, Did you stop and pick up the pieces that came off of your car so someone else does not hit them?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
Understand that you are upset, but if you hit something that caused that much damage, 3 things come to mind:
You were not focusing on the road
or you need better headlights
or you were driving faster than you should.
Actually I was watching the road, I was driving the speed limit and it was dark. I was changing lanes and did't see it till I hit it.

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
Sucks about your car. I am curious though, Did you stop and pick up the pieces that came off of your car so someone else does not hit them?
I did pull over and grabbed what was left (which wasn't much)
Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had to swap lanes a couple nights ago, something was dark and dead in the road and I nailed it... Never saw it, and the BMW has awesome lights...
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hit a landscape timber on Woodal Rogers last year in the middle of the day. I saw it coming too, I couldnt stop or change lanes
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a scary one for ya.
A friend of mine was cruising down the fast lane and came upon a drop in bedliner from a truck. He essential drove into the back of it and had to come to a stop with no headlights, and his front tires sitting on something that slides VERY well. There was no hope seeing a black bedliner at night at highway speeds.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Wow, that is one I have never thought about...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

I had to avoid a recliner sitting upright and reclinded in the middle of I-65. I was 15, had just gotten my permit and was running about 75 mph with my Dad. I didn't hit it, but man you never know what your going to see int he road.

I really hate it when oncoming traffic looses something and you have to avoid a moving target. I have seen several ladders come off on the interstate this way, idiot that don't think they need to tie them down.

I had a car dolly snap on me and send the mercedes that was on it down the interstate all by itself. Interesting to watch a car drive itself. It went in the woods and nothing got hurt other then the dolly and a dent in my back bumper but how strange. the car got stuck in a ditch and the muffler was dinged that was it, I felt pretty lucky.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevy42083
Here's a scary one for ya.
A friend of mine was cruising down the fast lane and came upon a drop in bedliner from a truck. He essential drove into the back of it and had to come to a stop with no headlights, and his front tires sitting on something that slides VERY well. There was no hope seeing a black bedliner at night at highway speeds.
Those things are dangerous. I saw one blow out of the back of a truck on a freeway. It actually caught a lot of air and almost seemed to hang there for a second before landing in the middle of a busy rush hour freeway.

Sucks about your vette. I ran over bricks on I20 in a Z06 back in 2002 It was in the day but the bricks blended in with the road color...
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup.

Back in September me and my brother-in-law were heading north on the HOV lane of 35E just north of George Bush when I noticed a couple of hundred feet ahead of us a big plastic trash can sliding back and forth across the lane due to the wind and passing cars.

I barely missed it with my truck, but the draft from my truck pulled it back to the lane and the guy with the Harely that was behind us wasn't as lucky. He swerved left, then right and then hit it, fell and slid over 200 feet with his bike before coming to a stop.

Luckily he was wearing a helmet, leather jacket, jeans and good boots. His ankle got caught under the front fork while sliding, so that was pretty messed up, but otherwise he didn't have any other visible injuries and was conscious all the time.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Ya I managed to total one from a fence that someone had allready hit and left in the road
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

I have hit a HUGE turtle once. Nearly flipped my truck. I was going down the road about 55 mph and hit the turtle. He was massive, had to over a foot high, about a foot and half long. After I got the truck settled down I pulled over and got out of the truck, the turtle popped his head back out and went on across the road.

I found out about 6 months later that the guys at the National Guard post had been feeding the guy for a very long time. They said he was huge when they built the post there nearly 20 years before I ran over him.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Restricted User

In May of last year my buddy and I were driving to a neighbor town.... about a mile out of town i see something white whipping around in the wind in the middle of the highway.... I suddenly realized there was a person laying in the middle of the highway!!!! I jerked the wheel! We went in the ditch and totalled my buddies car! He called the cops while i went to go check out the guy to see what the hell was going on. I get over there and the guy is drunk passed out with an almost empty bottle of Souther Comfort in his hand and an empty bag... I see the cops coming and am waving to keep them from hitting him... The cops were asking if he got thrown from the vehicle ect.... I was like no this is why we wrecked he is passed out in the middle of the ******* highway we almost hit him!

Well they gave him a ride back to the reservation 2 day later and he didn't have to pay a damn dime for anything!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

driving down 610 heading east to I-10. Ran over, what looked like, folded over tire tread. Turned out it was a huge chunk of black steel. Cracked my oil pan.

It's a Hairline crack but a crack none-the-less
Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, I lost a push mower out the back of my B2000 last night going through there on the way home but by the time I got an exit and made my way back around all I found was a bunch of debris and a demolished push mower.
Suprised it didn't do more damage than described, sorry
Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've dodged a ladder in the middle of the interstate, looked back and this semi-truck ran it over and demolished it.

Worst though, I was passing a semi, was right next to the trailer wheels when one of the tires exploded. Scared the **** out of me, sounded like a shotgun blast. Piece of tread hit my pass side window and cracked it like crazy. I'm sure the window would've shattered into a million pieces if it wasn't tinted.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

I know what y'all mean, one of my friends 240's hit a freaking pool pump! tore up his whole front bumper and ruined his front mount
Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was driving on the highway (70+ mph) a while back and was just passing a semi. We both went onto a narrow bridge that was in/made a curve. As soon as we both hit the bridge I saw in the middle of it (couldn't see before reaching it) that there was a wooden pallet right in the middle of my lane. I couldn't lock the brakes up because someone was behind me, obviously couldn't change lanes due to a fuel tanker beside me, so I stradled it... I straddled it perfect and didn't hear it hit until I was about half-way over it. I then looked in my rear-view-mirror and it was tumbling end over end (rolling if you will) and the car that was behind me had locked it up or changed lanes or something.. It was crazy, but ended up working out just fine. No damage underneath.

I've also ran over an already dead deer before. That made for a smelly clean up. Thank gawd I have access to a lift..

Last edited by Slvr00Bird; 12-30-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by TexasVortexx
Damn, I lost a push mower out the back of my B2000 last night going through there on the way home but by the time I got an exit and made my way back around all I found was a bunch of debris and a demolished push mower.
Suprised it didn't do more damage than described, sorry

I hope your not serious!!!!

LMFAO!