Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about painting Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about painting Calipers UPDATE pictures included

Okay I want to paint my calipers here pretty soon since I got my new wheels on. And I was wondering is it easier to take them off complety or do them on the car and just cover everything real good.

So just want to see which way people have done them cause I want to do them right the first time even if it takes some time to do it.

And any advice would be a plus too

Last edited by 01trans am; 01-03-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

i did mine right on the car,,lots of plastic to cover the car and other suspension parts,,,i even left the pads in, and taped everything that was'nt to get any paint (i.e. the back of the pads, etc). very easy to do, be sure to use some high temp paint!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

its always gonna be easier to paint them while off the car but then you have to bleed the breaks if its due for a bleed then might as well, I did mine while the calipers were on the car and it wasnt bad at all... i took my caliper off the mounting bracket and painted it while the line was still connected... imo having painted calipers and pads looks a bit to much if you go with red calipers... imo best combo is black brackets, black pads, red calipers. its very easy to do, just use alot of brake cleaner and a wire brush!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

thats how i did mine (more of a orange-ish red) but with the black brackets, pads are still black (the backs show thorugh the calipers and those areas were left black) and i also painted my rotors (hats and sides) and the run out form stock looking to the painted versions were night and day. Esp the rotor part,, they always look crappy when they get rusty (i dont have the fancy no rust kind.) if i think of it later when i get home, i will post some pics,,i cant see any photobucket stuff here at work, so i would'nt know what i was posting up if i did it here.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Launching!

So looks like I got alot of taping and covering to do but it will be well worth it.

Anyone got any opions on color its black with black ttms. I think Im leaning more towards blackin out everything but I think silver would look good too
Old 12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to Auto Zone or something, they have a kit you can buy. It's Dupli-color caliper paint. The paint comes in a can along with brake clean, tape, and a brush. That's how I did mine and I left them on the car. Here they are-

Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Launching!

looks good man I'll have to check on that tom.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hate to bump an old thread, but if you want to use something else, Por-15 makes an engine epoxy that comes in an aerosol can that looks really good on engines. I'd have to assume if it can hold to engine temp it can hold up as caliper paint.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

the brush on paint kit from duplicolor is the easyest way to go you dont have to cover any suspention parts and if your carefull you dont have to tape up much at all it very easy and i think the kits are less than 20.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Well I decided to use both I went ahead and took the caliper off(figured a brake bleed was needed to get fresh fluids in them). But I went with siler spray on the caliper and used the brush on stuff for the rotor and the bracket. But it turned out really good. BUt I still have 3 more to go because I'm taking my time trying to do it right. I'll try to upload some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Question about painting Calipers-imgp0842.jpg   Question about painting Calipers-imgp0843.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Launching!

here is some pics with the wheels off
Attached Thumbnails Question about painting Calipers-imgp0845.jpg   Question about painting Calipers-imgp0846.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01trans am
here is some pics with the wheels off
that came out really good. i'm usually against the brush on stuff because it really has sort of a dull luster to it once it dries, and i'm against spray painting them on the car because no matter how careful you are, you still run a very high risk of getting overspray on the car. i would always suggest what you did and taking them off and spray painting them with the high temp engine paint and then throwing a coat or 2 of clear on them. bleeding the brakes is a very simple process as long as you have 2 people to do it, i don't know why you would want to bypass that and not do something like that the right way
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Launching!

yeah thats the way I felt about it. At first I was goin to do them on the car but since I wanted to go with two colors I decided to do it the way I did. And the paint on stuff doesnt look at good as the spray with the clear but with the rotor I just wanted to get rid of that rust look and since the brackets are small you cant notice the difference. And I never had to tape anything off I free handed the rotors
Old 01-03-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rotors look really nice! Especially with the black wheels, it looks really good without all the surface rust on the rotor.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Launching!

thanks man I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out. Now I have to finish the other 3 but its raining and will be for the next couple of days and I have to get a new brush the one that comes with the kit is a piece of SH%# Man I'm glad we built my shop

Quick Reply: Question about painting Calipers