Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Install Question(in the middle of reinstalling!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Intake Install Question(in the middle of reinstalling!)

Alright well its been kind of a pain in the *** but we got the ls1 intake out and started putting the ls6 in. I have already installed the new coolant crossover and blockoffs. We got it in there and lined up but cant get it to sit down on the heads all the way. There is like a 1/8" to 1/16" gap on the passenger side and you can rock it back and forth...I pulled it back out and the only thing that seems to be in the way is the wires for the knock sensors?? I dont think those are thick enought to be in the way are they?? Thought about knocking all the ribs off the bottom but thought Id ask if there was anyone else who had this problem?? Any insight??

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Also I took the fuel rails and injectors off as a whole like on ls1howto.com and one of the lines at some point bent over like you would kink a garden hose...are these just rubber? or do they have a harder center I could have damaged?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

did you take off the green clips that hold down the ls1 coolant tube that is on the knock sensor's wires?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the first time i set my LS6 intake down onto the heads one of the injector connectors was under the manifold so it was doing that same thing.

you installed LS6 coolant lines so you should be fine with everything else.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i already have the ls6 intake ground for the ls1 coolant lines do i still need to tap down the stock ls1 coolant lines to make it fit or should i be okay??
Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
if i already have the ls6 intake ground for the ls1 coolant lines do i still need to tap down the stock ls1 coolant lines to make it fit or should i be okay??

I ground down my intake and removed the plastic knock sensor clips, fits fine with the ls1 lines.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

well i didnt read the part about the clips and didnt want to pull on the tape so we used side cuts and clipped almost all the C off...sounded like a good idea at the time. after reading farther on ls1howto it says the C clips have to be completely removed....FAIL.

I might knock the tabs off too so I definitely dont have to pull that **** back off there. Do you think with all the tabs gone that wire wont be held down? Cause any problems??
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't have to do anything with the clips, i just knocked out/smoothed the ribs on the bottom and it fit perfectly. Just make sure nothing else got under there... The intake can be a pain in the ***.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Ya it was those stupid green clips....wish I had taken them all the way off before. Im worried about that oil sending unit, it feels solid and I dont think I broke it. Do you have to have the intake off to replace it? Also back to my fuel line question if it bent over is there something in that could have broke or is that all just rubber hose??

Thanks for all the help guys,
Josh
Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the oil sending unit felt solid then it's fine. You will know when you start the car up, it will not show any oil pressure on the gauge. If it is broken then yes you will have to take the intake off to fix it. The fuel line you are taking about is it the line that connects to the fuel rail? If so it should be fine, it's just rubber.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CoastieWS6
If the oil sending unit felt solid then it's fine. You will know when you start the car up, it will not show any oil pressure on the gauge. If it is broken then yes you will have to take the intake off to fix it. The fuel line you are taking about is it the line that connects to the fuel rail? If so it should be fine, it's just rubber.
I dont think I broke it but well find out and ya thats the fuel line i was talking about its two rubber hoses that connect to the fuel rail and that canister on the side of the intake. I thought it might have had a plastic or metal core, thats one less thing I have to worry about...