Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bigs and Skinnies all year round?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigs and Skinnies all year round?

Who all here is running them 365? The more and more I see them the more and more I contemplate selling the Fikse's and just running some Billet Specialties 15x10 and 15x3.5 all year.

But, I do drive the car on the highway sometimes. Would the Sportsman SR and the Mickey Drag Radial handle that duty?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Depending how much highway.. the MT DRs wear out fairly quick with miles. IDK about the sportsmans, though.

That being said, bigs/littles look SICK. The main concern is 70% braking in the front on a 165mm contact patch. I'd run them if I had them, though.

And why are you in Manhattan now? Move?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Well highway is MINIMUM. I might take it back to Garden from time to time and up to KC a lot. The car only gets about 3-4K a year put on it, if that.

And as far as the braking goes, I have a proportioning valve for my ABS delete kit so I could easily adjust it to have a little more pressure on the rear. Hmm decisions decision.

I moved up here for a change, and a girl. LOL I love it though. more stuff going on than back home.

How's the new car running?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

all summer long here for me

Sportsman fronts
Drag Radials rear w/ spool

1hr+ drives on the HWY and no issues ever
Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here all summer w/ 275/60/15 and skinnys ...no issues
Old 01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

sell me the fikses and run the billet wheels
Old 01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds pretty convincing. I'm probably going to get a set of Billets or GWs if they ever show sometime down the line.

I know of a couple cool guys in Manhattan with F-bodies.. I think you'll be alright there

And the car is running like a champ.. it sees the strip quite often. I can't wait untill March when it's open again. Should be cammed and dyno'd by then.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kdavis
sell me the fikses and run the billet wheels
What's your addy, I'll have them out tomorrow! LOL

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Sounds pretty convincing. I'm probably going to get a set of Billets or GWs if they ever show sometime down the line.

I know of a couple cool guys in Manhattan with F-bodies.. I think you'll be alright there

And the car is running like a champ.. it sees the strip quite often. I can't wait untill March when it's open again. Should be cammed and dyno'd by then.
Yeah I like how there are actually "cars" up here and not mom and dad's honda with an exhaust! LOL

Hell yeah man, hopefully I'll have all the bugs worked out in mine by then and I might have to make a trip down to that track!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

I've run mine for a while now on the street and at high speeds at times.....corners aren't to fun with the skinneys up front though.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

I run MT ET front and ET Drags 28's on the back and live 45 miles from the track and drive highway the whole way. Just keep your distance cause the fronts do not help at all on stopping fast. I have 2 other bodies that do the same all summer, cause in colorado we don't get a chance to drive to often in the snow.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
What's your addy, I'll have them out tomorrow!
what are you asking and what are the details on them
Old 01-09-2009, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

I would keep a set of street wheels just incase. I ran some 325/50/15 mt with prostars and skinnies up front and it drew alot of attention, espsecially form the cops. That and the 325's tended to "float alittle" while going down the highway, of course I was only running 11PSI but I didn't want to take the risk of driving it 100 miles at 70+mph if I wanted to go somewhere. I drove around on them if I was staying in town, but if I was going somewhere, they fit pretty good in the back seat.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell your currents and go with a 17x7 front streetlite and some 17x11s with MT radials, M&H radials, or nittos on them. If that doesnt hook at the track, pick up some 15x10s for track duty. The 17x7s may not be optimal, but you wouldnt have to swap them to be usable for the track and save some weight. Thats my plan if I keep this car

Last edited by Photochop; 01-09-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Photochop
Sell your currents and go with a 17x7 front streetlite and some 17x11s with MT radials, M&H radials, or nittos on them. If that doesnt hook at the track, pick up some 15x10s for track duty. The 17x7s may not be optimal, but you wouldnt have to swap them to be usable for the track and save some weight. Thats my plan if I keep this car
That was actually my plan from the beginning.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great minds think alike. I'd MUCH prefer a 17x7 for daily driver/nice weather street duty over a 15x4 ANY DAY. Your braking distance/cornering ability will suffer significantly with the 15x4 (had both on the same car, same brakes).
Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Exactly. I just don't know if I can part ways with my Fikse's though
Old 01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

If you can find a 16" x 6" wheel you have a large selection of tires to choose from in a 205/60/16.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd keep your stock wheels and pick up a set of economy style drag wheels if cost is a concern. Keep the drag wheels on when you're street or strip racing. Use the regular street wheels for everyday use or general cruising. Is it too much of a concern to change the wheels when you know you're going racing or "cruising"?

If you're not driving the car too much as you suggest, for racing performance, drag wheels will be your best best over any street/strip combination or your street wheels...they will be far lighter and give you best benefits for racing. 15's will not handle, brake or drive near what you're current wheels run... ...why I suggest not selling your current very nice wheels.

15's in my opinion should be considered for drag use...choosing drag wheels will reap performance racing benefits EVERY time over anyother combination. For the miles that you're considering usage, generally speaking most drag wheel manufactures wheels will hold up very well.

Prostar/draglites would be your best bet from an economy standpoint...they will be far lighter than a street/strip billet aluminum combination (ours or others) 15" setup (about ~25 converted static pounds)...performance results will also be hindered further by using heavy radials i.e. front. If you want the very lightest direct fit front/rear combination, our Bogart P1 drag wheels would be like taking ~75lbs from a street/strip billet aluminum combination.

These numbers are not small, braking distances, 60ft times, less drivetrain stress etc. are all a resultant due to using lighter components.

Think of this, when you're trying to buy/build something that is "double duty", it really is not all that great in any area. It would be like purchasing all season radials instead of using your specific summer tires you currently use on your current wheels. Since you already have very good specific road racing wheels...now you need very good specific drag wheels...and you'll be set in all areas and optimizing your results.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh come on justin dont be a baby! sell the fikse's, and get yourself hooked up with some billet specialties like me
Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I'd keep your stock wheels and pick up a set of economy style drag wheels if cost is a concern. Keep the drag wheels on when you're street or strip racing. Use the regular street wheels for everyday use or general cruising. Is it too much of a concern to change the wheels when you know you're going racing or "cruising"?

If you're not driving the car too much as you suggest, for racing performance, drag wheels will be your best best over any street/strip combination or your street wheels...they will be far lighter and give you best benefits for racing. 15's will not handle, brake or drive near what you're current wheels run... ...why I suggest not selling your current very nice wheels.

15's in my opinion should be considered for drag use...choosing drag wheels will reap performance racing benefits EVERY time over anyother combination. For the miles that you're considering usage, generally speaking most drag wheel manufactures wheels will hold up very well.

Prostar/draglites would be your best bet from an economy standpoint...they will be far lighter than a street/strip billet aluminum combination (ours or others) 15" setup (about ~25 converted static pounds)...performance results will also be hindered further by using heavy radials i.e. front. If you want the very lightest direct fit front/rear combination, our Bogart P1 drag wheels would be like taking ~75lbs from a street/strip billet aluminum combination.

These numbers are not small, braking distances, 60ft times, less drivetrain stress etc. are all a resultant due to using lighter components.

Think of this, when you're trying to buy/build something that is "double duty", it really is not all that great in any area. It would be like purchasing all season radials instead of using your specific summer tires you currently use on your current wheels. Since you already have very good specific road racing wheels...now you need very good specific drag wheels...and you'll be set in all areas and optimizing your results.

Good luck!
Thanks Steve, I think I am just gonna buy a cheap set of "economy" wheels to runs some slicks on. I do love my Fikse's too much and couldn't part ways with it. BTW, I just finished one of your ABS delete kits on my car and have a suggestion, maybe you should send out a bottle of Crown with them too. LOL, because after fighting with the cramped engine compartment of these cars while trying to double flare the lines I could have used a bottle or two! But it was a very good kit and can't wait to try out the line lock tonight!

Matt, you have a point. But I have one question, where are YOUR wheels?? LOL