Audiophiles Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audiophiles Inside

Not sure how many of you are into home theater/home audio but I thought I’d post up anyway.

I’ve been working on my theater room over the last month or so and currently I’m about half way done.

My current setup is:

52” Sony Bravia 120hz
Rotel 1560 7.1 Receiver (http://www.rotel.com/NA/Products/Pro...ils.htm?id=471)
Dynaudio Audience 72 Fronts (http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/...audience72.php)

I mounted the TV flat on the wall over the electronics cabinet/tv stand and started running all of the speaker and video wires through the walls.

I’m not sure what sub and surround speakers I’m going to use yet. Still shopping around.

What setups do some of you have?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sony 60" 120hz bravia SXRD (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KD.../dp/B000TMFYBO)
Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1 (http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i)
Fronts- Polk TSi 500 (http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tsi/index.php#tsi500)
Surround/Surround Back/Center- Polk 5.1 set (http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rm6750/)
Sub- Klipsch Synergy 12" 650watt (http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...gy-sub-12.aspx)
The Klipsch took the place of the Polk sub that came with the set.

soon I will replace the center with this one
New Center- Polk CS20 (http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tsi/index.php#cs20)

How do you like those Dynaudio's? I looked into those for a bit.

Never heard of Rotel (besides the canned mix lol) Looks pretty slick, hell of a price tag. I am not a big fan of the silver though. that is just me-- edit(i see they have a black one too. nice)
Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

I have the black one...

Rotel one of the best for sound quality. I auditioned every major receiver and the Rotel was the best sounding (to me).

I love the Dynaudios - These things sound great and really project a full range. I preferred the sound of the Audience 72's over everything B&W had in the same price range.

How do you like the Polks and Klipsch?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Nice start. I've got a single disc Rotel CD player and love it. The rest of my system consist of B&W CDM 1NT stand mount speakers, M&K 12" sub with a NAD integrated amp. I only listen to music through it, not hooked up to the tv. The combination makes for an excellent moderately priced system with great acoustics
Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jermstyle
How do you like the Polks and Klipsch?

I really enjoy the surrounds and the tsi 500's are brand new so I am breaking them in. turned em up once today and they sounded great.

the klipsch is also brand new and awesome. but I only have the old 8" polk to compare to so almost anything is better. I live on the 3rd floor in my apartment and the sub fires down so I feel the floor is absorbing a lot of it and not transmitting it out. still sounds good but not its full potential I feel.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

I've been looking at upgrading my home theater system, too. I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-NR906, Polk Audio Rti-A9's, and the same sub listed above. Any thoughts on the receiver and speakers??

If I had my choice, I'd like to look into the Rotel stuff, too. But, expensive. Also, I had a friend up north that had a McIntosh pre-amp and processor hooked to a pair of Acoustic Research AR9's. About 600 watts per channel. Would literally shake the ******* house!! I loved it!! Wouldn't mind finding some vintage Mac stuff and AR9's for the game room.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

My current setup is:

Samsung 46" LCD - LNS4695DX - TV
Sony PS3 - Blu Ray
Denon 988 - Receiver
Boston Acoustics VR12 - Center
Boston Acoustics VR-M60 - Fronts
Boston Acoustics VR-M50 - Surrounds
Bic Acoustech H100 - Sub

My plan is to step up to 55" LCD with Samsung's new 2009 offerings. Also need to upgrade the sub at some point, but haven't made that a priority just yet.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

BAD2000: I was able to listen to both the Rotel and a similar McIntosh and they sound very similar. The Rotel's are expensive but I think it's worth it - The sound is absolutely incredible.

I wasn't really impressed by the Onkyo's that I listened to - But it could have been the speakers. Should be a nice setup though if you can find the power.

Sebring: Is Samsung making a 120hz tv? I have a Samsung 27" monitor for my PC and I love it, but I wanted full bluray support so I went Sony for my theater.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Sebring: Is Samsung making a 120hz tv? I have a Samsung 27" monitor for my PC and I love it, but I wanted full bluray support so I went Sony for my theater.
Yes, several of Samsung's 2008 models are 120hz. For 2009, Samsung, Sony, LG and Vizio all will have 240hz offerings. I really like the Sony's as well, but the black bezels on the Samsungs work better with my furniture.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 AM

Media room

Mitsu 73-833
Definitive Tech 7001 Fronts (Built in 15"subs in each), CLR2500 Center (built in 8" woofer), BP1x Rears.
PS3 Blu-ray
Xbox 360 Elite with HD-DVD
Dish Network DVR 722 (the good one!) 80HR HD-DVR
Yamaha 2800 HDMI 1.3 Receiver
Monster Powersurge.

Bedroom

Samsung 40" 1080P LCD
Toshiba HD-DVD
Dish Network HD Receiver

Blue Jean Cables all around

Also a 23" Samsung in my workout room....

Def Tech is the $H#T!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
I've been looking at upgrading my home theater system, too. I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-NR906, Polk Audio Rti-A9's, and the same sub listed above. Any thoughts on the receiver and speakers??

If I had my choice, I'd like to look into the Rotel stuff, too. But, expensive. Also, I had a friend up north that had a McIntosh pre-amp and processor hooked to a pair of Acoustic Research AR9's. About 600 watts per channel. Would literally shake the ******* house!! I loved it!! Wouldn't mind finding some vintage Mac stuff and AR9's for the game room.
If I were to upgrade my receiver today that is the one I would get. I believe Onkyo is the best for the $ you pay. Obviously there are better one's out there like the one above and some of the high end Denon's and Yamaha's. I really love my Onkyo it sounds great coupled with the Polk's. And the new model's upconvert all inputs to 1080p. the NR is network enabled for firmware upgrades and streaming of music and video. <--so I have heard, haven't seen it in action.

The RTi-A9's are really nice. I haven't heard them but hearing mine I can only imagine they are great. 500 watt each!! with (3) 7" drivers (2) 5.25" and a tweeter. ported enclosure. hefty price tag as well.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Ginger Hater

different kind of audiophile here...lol....kinda work on stuff alot bigger and more expensive.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

nobody got any Martin Logans? How about Vienna Acoustics? Deftechs, right on. Boston Acoustics....R u serious? Did you buy these on clearance from Tweeter??? Polk audio.....please......My FM clock radio has better sound then those. Come on guys, some of you drop cash on your cars like its nothing, where are the premium sound systems? I know your out there!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Spaz - Like what?

LS1LUNATIC - I'm still working on speakers, what would you recommend to complete my 7.1 setup?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

How much you got to spend?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

I don't want a 36,000 dollar set of front speakers, but I want good stuff. I need components that can keep up with my Rotel.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LUNATIC
nobody got any Martin Logans? How about Vienna Acoustics? Deftechs, right on. Boston Acoustics....R u serious? Did you buy these on clearance from Tweeter??? Polk audio.....please......My FM clock radio has better sound then those. Come on guys, some of you drop cash on your cars like its nothing, where are the premium sound systems? I know your out there!!!
I heard the Polk RTi-A9's at Fry's in Webster. Not bad. The Best Buy on Bay Area is stocking Martin Logan's. I didn't get a chance to listen, but I might need to.

Are you saying that the Martin Logan's are a better speaker than the Polk's? Anybody local carry the Vienna Acoustics?

I don't mind spending money on good stuff, but within reason. The Polk RTi-A9's are $1600. That's not exactly cheap. But, I need some good speakers first. I have a JVC receiver currently, but will upgrade to something better later. The Denon is out due to some issues upconverting to Sony TVs. The Onkyo is the lead horse right now, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm just not going to spend over $2,500 for a receiver/amp.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

BAD2000 - DENNON says that the Sony issue is fixed with the new firmware update. At least thats what the tech told me. But I would make a home theater store show you that it works on a Sony if you still want one.

Also, remember that the economy is in the dump so you can make deals. I got 700 bucks off MSRP on my Rotel. It took some work, but I pulled it off.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
I heard the Polk RTi-A9's at Fry's in Webster. Not bad. The Best Buy on Bay Area is stocking Martin Logan's. I didn't get a chance to listen, but I might need to.

Are you saying that the Martin Logan's are a better speaker than the Polk's? Anybody local carry the Vienna Acoustics?

I don't mind spending money on good stuff, but within reason. The Polk RTi-A9's are $1600. That's not exactly cheap. But, I need some good speakers first. I have a JVC receiver currently, but will upgrade to something better later. The Denon is out due to some issues upconverting to Sony TVs. The Onkyo is the lead horse right now, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm just not going to spend over $2,500 for a receiver/amp.
The Martin Logans can't be beat for vocals, because of there electrostatic design. A woofer can't simply can't move fast enough to be as accurate in sound reproduction.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Ginger Hater

Spaz - Like what?

LS1LUNATIC - I'm still working on speakers, what would you recommend to complete my 7.1 setup?
Pro-sound, concerts and such.