LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

studdering problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default studdering problem

i have a 96 ta with 1.6 rockers, bbk shorty headers, no cat, slp exaust, cold air, granitelli maf, 58mm tb, edlbrock air gap intake man. it has a lot of power, but when it shifts automaticly (in drive) at wot it misses and studders on the top end right befor it shifts. i have the stock 26lbs injecters, would the 30lbs injecters fix that or should i get it tuned. and im also going to a cc306 cam as soon as fix that prob, would 30lbs injecters be good for that cam?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is your trans shifting a little late causing the engine to hit its rev limiter???
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

injectors wouldnt have anything to do with that unless you have a bad injector as for the putting bigger injectors or throwing in a cam withouth that problem fixed first will only create bigger problems....either way are there any codes....how bout was this after you put on the throttle body or did it just happen out of the blue???/
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to a speech therapist. She fixed me right up.

Sorry - couldn't help myself.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 PM

the trans is shifting like it should and it did not do it till did the tb and all the other stuff. there are codes for the egr and the maf. the maf is pritty new and when i put the manifold on i made sure that every thing was sealed up so yeah. i asked about injectors because it bring in a lot more air then it would stock. i have not had a chance to check fuel psi yet. it almost seems like it not getting enough fuel.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

You're tickling the rev limiter... If you haven't ch-changed g-gears, it's likely that the tire size has changed since the last tune. You need a re-tune to drop your shift point a bit and presto... you're a danger to the community blasting down the highway at unprecedented speed.

Get all your work done then re-tune it. OTHERWISE you're just wasting money; as you'll have to do so with every major drive-train mod.

When I went from 20" rims with street tires, which produced a 27" radius to stock salad shooters with 26" Mickeys, I experienced the exact same thing; when I installed the 4.10s last week... it got exponentially worse.

I'm sending the PCM in for the re-tune next week.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

its not hitting the rev limiter, it has stock gears, and i have the stock wheels and correct size tire for the wheel.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1blackbird
its not hitting the rev limiter, it has stock gears, and i have the stock wheels and correct size tire for the wheel.
Huh... Well, then it's either fuel or electrical deprivation (which is what the limiter emulates).

Any codes poppin' up? Does it shift at the same tempo or does it seem to hang longer? I wouldn't spend on the injectors until I found the problem.

Obvious the things to check...

Coil under load - Opti-output at speed/under load (might check that you've got a clean ground at the coil-ignition module. Check that the dielectric is clean and pliable... if not, scrape it down and reapply a liberal coating.
Plugs...
Plug Wires...

Fuel pressure under load... It might be the pump is getting soft, but I doubt it. But it should be checked.

(Did you change the fuel filter? What about running a decent cleaner for the fuel system? I've used Z-Max and highly recommend it. Also, I rarely run anything but Amoco/BP Premium fuel... if you're not running clean premium fuel, you should.

Good luck with it...

Last edited by OVA1; 01-11-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM

well it hangs longer befor it shifts and how do i check the opti-output and speed/under load. the coil is a bit old so that mite be it as well. i prob should change it any way lol. i did not change the fuel filter but the air filter is brand new. oh and its giving me a maf code and a egr code. if the egr is cloged can i clean it with carb cleaner?

Last edited by lt1blackbird; 01-11-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

i would start with getting that cel off. put your stock maf back on and see if that shuts that code off. and take your egr valve off and see how gummed up it is. if its not that bad hook a vacuum gun to it and see if it works the valve. sometimes the diaphram in the egr valve gets a crack and quits workin. keep us updated.

i would undo the battery after doing those couple things so it resets the computer.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM

i will try that with the egr and i will have to have my dad send me my stock maf. or i could just buy one from the zone and if dose not fix it i will just take it back lol. thanks. oh and my fuel psi at idea should be at 39 and at wot its should be at like 42 psi correct? thanks.

Quick Reply: studdering problem