Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9in Questoins

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9in Questoins

I have been considering putting a 9in in my car and was wondering if i could use a factory ford center section for now to get the 9in in the car on a budget. I wanna keep it a posi unit and wondering whats the biggest spline count i can use and what bearing size do i ahve to have in my scenter section to makek it work

thx
Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can put a less expensive center section in there. I have a standard cased center in my Moser with 3.70s and a 31 spline Track Lock posi. It works very well with my A4 setup. It is relatively quiet and performs well. As far as splines go, 31 splines are probably the easiest to go with since the stock 31 spline posi's are strong enough for a stout street car. 35 or more spline axles limit you to a locker or spool. 31 spline axles give you many differential choices.

I am not positive, but bearing size does not matter as far as axle fit goes but obviously, bigger is better if you have the choice. Again, I am not an expert on 9" rears but mine works good with the parts you are asking about.

It's nice to have more strength over the 10 bolt......but now I need a tougher drive shaft. It never ends.....

Best of luck!!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can use a ford center section, that is what I have in my car. I do not remember the bearing sizes but the most common is somewhere near 2.875. The best case is the larger bearing case, somewhere around 3.0625, but these are harder to find and people usually want a fair amount of $ for them. I'm going from memory on those numbers from about 4 years ago so I'm not 100% sure they are correct.

I have the 2.875 bearing case and the largest spline axles you can run are 31s, you need the larger bearing case to use a spline count larger than 31. You should be able to find a good used case for cheap, mine was a freebie from a salvage yard.

I am using a Moser housing and axles, a tru trac posi and 3.89 gears in the ford carrier.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116

Check out our Moser housing/axle link. Bob