what classes to take to be a mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what classes to take to be a mechanic?

well my hours at my job have been cut significantly and i figured with all this free time, maybe i can go to school to be a auto mechanic. just wondering what classes should i take or what are some things i should do to prepare myself for a job in this industry?

i figure since cars aren't selling like they used to and more people are just keeping their vehicles, then that means more cars in a auto shop for service.

Anyway, any helpful information will be greatly appreciated. was thinking about SAM or UTI but not sure how much the classes are, anybody know what the classes usually run for those schools? thanks fellas
Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to discourage you, but technicians are dropping like flies right now. There isn't as much work as there use to be. ALOT of people are getting out of the business. I just don't know if that is a good route anymore.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

last I heard you don't get paid by the hour, it's by the job, and if your customer base isn't constant, or you don't have a lot of vehicles waiting in line to be worked on, you basically sit there until one comes in, and your not getting paid while you sit there..

at least that's how one of my buddies explained it to me...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
last I heard you don't get paid by the hour, it's by the job, and if your customer base isn't constant, or you don't have a lot of vehicles waiting in line to be worked on, you basically sit there until one comes in, and your not getting paid while you sit there..

that's true. You also get paid about half as much for warranty work, and with Dodge's new lifetime warranty you'll be sure to see less cash than your counterparts of 10 years ago.

EDIT- if you went to work for dodge/chrystler
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Weird, I'm busier every day and charge more than I used too. I need a bigger shop. There's more people fixing their older cars and trucks than buying new ones also. Maybe it's a dealers compared to independent thing and the independents are doing better.

From what I've read SAM is a engine machinist school and I know UTI is automotive repair. Most engines are lasting longer than 200K nowadays so I don't foresee the engine rebuilding end of the industry growing very fast. I've hired a UTI graduate and spoken with another and they seemed to be competent, I would look into them for what you're asking about doing.

As for classes to work on cars now learn all you can about electronics. A basic understanding of chemistry will help when dealing with emissions. Physical Science will help with putting it all together, or getting the overall picture. Read all you can about the basic theory's of internal combustion engines, hydraulic braking systems, etc. Old mechanic text books are really good and could be found at used book stores for cheap.

Right now it's a hard business to be in, you almost have to be too smart for working on cars to be good enough at it. Keeping up with changes and potential problems takes study time and money spent on information services along with constant tool investment. It's hard to find a good place to work.

If you're good and you know it you can do well because many techs are not and having to bail into less technical work or pass up money jobs due to inability to perform them well. But being able to do these jobs requires a lot of experience, skill, knowledge, information, and tools. There's always oil, brakes, and water pumps to change but that only goes so far when an ignition signal in the PCM has a weak output on cylinders 2 and 4 or back fed electric current from the HVAC blower motor spooling down on shut down causes a false ABS code on restart. Those problems require complex diagnostics and information on what to look for.

Vernon
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Launching!

I'd say pick a different route.....I'm currently a tech helper and thinking about swapping careers. It's something good to know but it isn't what it used to be.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the GM ASEP school, and build transmissions at a chevy dealership. Im only 22, and havn't been in it too long, and Im already starting to get sick of it. Just way too much bullshit to put up with. Customers want EVERYTHING for free, customers are ALWAYS right no matter what you say, you are looked down on because you are a "grease monkey", you don't get paid near what you should, you have to buy 30k in tools, if GM doesn't like something you do they backflag you and take your money, and your always doing something wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Launching!

i got a job for you!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28

True depending on where you go. I worked at a dealership and for the first 90 days I got paid flat out $13/hour no matter what. After that I got paid by labor hours. If you take 6 hours to do what GM/FORD/DODGE says takes 3 hours... you get paid 3 hours. It also works the other way, you can finish early and get paid for more. HOWEVER, you can sit there for 8 hours and do 30 minutes of work (oil change or some BS) and you only get paid for 30 minutes. If you are going to do this, make sure you get on with a dealership that does a lot of service work or you will be looking for another career path real soon.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Ive been wrenching for the last 8 years and I have met very few techs that were happy or even content being a mechanic. It does have alot to do with where you are, and skill wise. NTB doesnt pay too bad ( 18% comission on parts and labor if you have 2 or more ASEs )

What Im getting at is .... think about it long and hard before you go down that path.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Curveball TECH

That's some good info. I guess I see why most mechanics charge the **** out of your for simple things.

As for performance shops, what kind of money is made compared to a regular mechanic shop? (Given a decent reputation and customer base)
Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TRANSdAMn 2k
As for performance shops, what kind of money is made compared to a regular mechanic shop? (Given a decent reputation and customer base)
As we have seen with shops on here with a decent reputation and customer base... the sky is the limit.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a tuff bussiness to get started in. The older guys are usually gravy fed retards and you'll get pretty pissed having to bust your *** selling and diagnosing while they get fed all the easy high paying jobs.

I was an ASE master tech at age 19 and was only making 16 per hour when I left the automotive world (started at age 16). You will have to serve your time just about anywhere you go. Some places will reward you if you are worth it, some places won't regardles. I still mechanic but things are far different than an automotive shop.

But to answer your question. If I were going to go to a school it would be SAM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

The automotive dealership is a bad place to be right now.Alot of layoffs are happening,but its like anything else when its good its good.2 years ago I made a good living at the dealership.Last year was okay and this year didnt start off good,but hopefully our new leader will bring change