Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS - separate turbo oil system Qs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS - separate turbo oil system Qs

I am planning on setting something up in my trunk to have a separate oil system to pump the oil to the turbo and back.
I don't want the engine involved at all.
Any suggestions on a tank that would be a good option for this? Or a good DIY tank? I haven't seen any systems this way from my searching.
Thanks.

Last edited by sujomatt; 01-23-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typos..
Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably get a tank for a dry sump engine to work well aka LS7. Then just add an oil cooler under the car with good airflow and an oil pump. Make sure to put some sort of alarm or indicating device to let you know your pump is doing ok. I would also suggest running a temp gauge in the supply line to the turbo to ensure the cooler you choose is doing an adequate job. You could also run the pump on a timer upon shutdown to circulate oil through the turbo for cooldown.

I really like your idea. On my STS Avalanche I broke the supply line to the turbo going over some whoops in the dunes and it puked out 4 quarts of oil in about 30 secs. Almost killed my engine that day. My buddy asked me what all the smoke was coming out the back of the truck and luckily I shut it down in time.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

thx man for the info - bump, anyone else??
Old 01-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I too like this idea and have been reading up on oiling systems for turbos. Not trying to hijack but here is a picture of a set up that I was thinking of.STS - separate turbo oil system Qs-turbosetup.jpg

I have the pump pulling the oil through the turbo and having gravity getting oil to it. My question is, will this enough or will another pump need to be added to push the oil. I am by no means a turbo guru but my thought process is people having oil go through the seals, so with this setup the pressure won't blow through the seals but rather keep it from doing just that by having the sucking effect.

Any thoughts, opinions, or concerns. Like I said before sorry for the hijack but I think we could both benefit from this, thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

ive heard the prob w/ this is the oil would take too long to heat up and may be hard on the turbo
Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Launching!

So if it doesn't heat up quick enough... What about having the cooler under the rear of the car where it won't get much air to start off with and when it gets to a temp that is getting hot have the fan turn on to regulate the temp? I've seen some websites with a fan on the cooler. Could that solve that problem or is there more to it?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

i really have no idea, when i was first starting to make a rear mount turbo setup i asked the same question and someone was saying that it would be a prob. in the end, i ended up just running a return pump, just much simpler and less stuff/ weight.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Well thanks for the input.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about this before and think it will really complicate things. Depending on how much the pump flows you may need to regulate it, you will also need a return pump, cooler, and resevor. I would not think it would need to be heated..could be wrong.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Launching!

^^^^ Thanks
I really want to avoid messing with the engine oil, drilling, tapping and all that jazz. I guess that's just me being difficult. I can handle this setup being complicated as long as it's feesable. I don't like the fact of having all your eggs in one basket, but that's just me. Keep the comments coming.

Hey sujomatt you getting this, good stuff here.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could put a thermostat before the cooler. this would then bypass the oil cooler when not upto running temps. look into external oil coolers and you will normally find these thermostats to....

Chris.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

glad to see your looking into this option matt! your half way there with one pump already. the return pump you have is basically just a bildge (sp?) pump anyway. your going to have to mess around with it to get it running right. the thing that stopped me was I couldn't figure out how I would increase the pressure as the turbo spooled up. that for me was the only thing that stopped me.

the extra pump was like 200 buck,then some sort of tank 1-150, fittings, hoses 200 MAX. oil temp gauge is like 50 bucks. it's not really that bad, if you can figure out how to increase/decrease flow with rpm/turbo spooling.

just remember everyone said a turbo instead of a muffler, was stupid.sure "it'll work, but wont make good power,to much lag" ect. now theres guys with 100+mm rear mounts
Old 01-26-2009, 07:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

One thing I always never liked about turbo set-ups was using the engine oil for the turbo(s). I never liked how the turbos heated the engine oil up so much and always never liked the idea of all the lines running everywhere. If one breaks down, you lose the turbo(s) AND the engine. Good idea!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't you need two pumps? Cause the oil feed line on most STS system is pressureized for the oil filter adapter, then as it would go threw the turbo it would go to the the cooler to be cooled then a nother pump to push the oil back up into the holding tank in the trunk. I just don't see the oil defeating the laws of gravity. Depending on what size oil container you want to run just get alumiumn box made that fit in the cubby hole or in the spare tire hole drill threw the body and down to the turbo. I would like other said put some type of signal light/sound to let you know the pump is working. I would also find a way to put a oil level sensor in your oil contianer.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RsSean
Wouldn't you need two pumps? Cause the oil feed line on most STS system is pressureized for the oil filter adapter, then as it would go threw the turbo it would go to the the cooler to be cooled then a nother pump to push the oil back up into the holding tank in the trunk. I just don't see the oil defeating the laws of gravity. Depending on what size oil container you want to run just get alumiumn box made that fit in the cubby hole or in the spare tire hole drill threw the body and down to the turbo. I would like other said put some type of signal light/sound to let you know the pump is working. I would also find a way to put a oil level sensor in your oil contianer.
Point taken, ok I see what you're getting at, the reason I had only one pump is I figured that being it would be a fairly short run for the oil. Being that the tank is higher than the turbo there will always be oil at the check valve. Then as soon as the pump would kick on the pressure from the suction would open up the check valve and the oil would run through the turbo, to the pump and back up to the tank.
I wonder if the pump would be powerful enough if it could actually suck air/exhaust throught the seal, if it can pump oil out. Hmm... Just brainstorming.
I think I read somewhere that the STS pump is throttle sensitive by the way it is wired? So if I where to hook up both pumps via the same way that STS wires theirs, that could solve the problem with matching the pump with the rpms.
Good stuff, keep it coming. Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default pump

I made a engine belt driven scavanging pump system some years back for my incon tt because i didnt trust the electric pumps myself . But was very costly to make and only made about 10 or so kits that are still running perfectly as far as i know and even made a vac version for another guy on here last year that i saw for sale this month !!Its a really nice setup .Actually,if its stiill for sale, you would just have to sell his vac pump and replace with a scavanging one !A couple of guys were intrested just in his pump ,,so you might luck out if this were something you might be intrested in

Last edited by barnat; 01-26-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by barnat
I made a engine belt driven scavanging pump system some years back for my incon tt because i didnt trust the electric pumps myself . But was very costly to make and only made about 10 or so kits that are still running perfectly as far as i know and even made a vac version for another guy on here last year that i saw for sale this month !!Its a really nice setup .Actually,if its stiill for sale, you would just have to sell his vac pump and replace with a scavanging one !A couple of guys were intrested just in his pump ,,so you might luck out if this were something you might be intrested in
That sounds like a logical setup, I'll have to check that option out. I guess the pressure was pretty balanced between the two pumps.

Does anyone have an oil pressure guage at the turbo? Well, not "at" the turbo but you know? Would this be a good idea to monitor the pumps as another option for the buzzer. If so what does it read?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys really love to complicate things.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Yep
I like to think of it as pioneering, but mostly complicated, your right.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just talking with a buddy about this today and will be doing this setup this fall. Let me know how things go... and good luck.

Quick Reply: STS - separate turbo oil system Qs