LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Little pissed off

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Little pissed off

My friend used my account, and bought a 94 formula 6 speed. Well wickedformula delivered it to the house, he drove it off the trailer. Once he got it on the driveway he killed the car, and left it there. Well once my friend tryed to start it wickedformula immediatly left with the atv he traded for. The formula wouldn't start, it has spark we tested that. The injectors on the passenger side were all rigged spliced together WTF. It won't start now it will backfire an shoot flames out the car if anyone has any ideas why, i'd appreciate it. I'm pissed at wickedformula for not telling my friend what had really been done. Which i feel bad cause i showed him the car to start with. I tried to diagnose the problems, cheacking the computer, but when i try to check the codes the engine service won't flash or come on? It just says check gauges, will not doing anything.

Last edited by Kmaroman; 01-24-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Banned

all that kind of rambled on.. think you could edit it and make it a little easier to help out..
Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
Nevermind, Kmaroman fixed his post

Anyways, have you checked to make sure all the sparkplug wires are in the correct firing order?

Last edited by TasTe_GOOD; 01-24-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: kmaroman edited his post
Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Will check tommorow, anymore ideas an no fixing my spelling doesn't bother me. but it did start when he got it off the trailer but ran bad!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The newer ones aren't able to be paper-clip modded for the codes :\ I'd just start wth re-doing the injectors properly with a soldering iron.

I'm in the same boat man, dropped $550 on a transmission that had I installed it, wouldn't have probably lasted a few days

If you have any sort of communication logs (PMs or Emails), I'd tell him you plan to go after thim about this unless he rectifies the situation by either giving your friend some money or trading back.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

like formula said your going to need to find a actual scanner if you want to pull up any codes on her. thats a pretty shitty deal dude. sounds like he knew enough about her to get her moved and call it good. i went to his page and looked at his sig. University of Northwestern Ohio - major = High Performance Technology looks like someone is going to have to choose a new major.....
Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If all the spark plug wires are in a correct order, then I'd go checking and make sure things like the injectors are wired correctly. When I say wired correctly, I mean make sure that they all connected properly, they are in the correct sequence, there is no bare wire, do what formula said,etc. The other things I would check are the o2 sensors and the opti-spark. When my opti went out it would buck and backfire, then die.

Anyways, I hope you find the problem and it is sad to hear that Wickedformula would not say what was wrong with the car. Hopefully he will chime in and help with the problem.

Last edited by TasTe_GOOD; 01-24-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: posted too slow
Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

It says "check gauges", so check the gauges. What does the water temp say? What does the oil pressure gauge say? IIRC, and don't quote me on this, but I thought that the motor will not fire if it detects zero oil pressure. Maybe that's an old wives tale.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350

If you have any sort of communication logs (PMs or Emails), I'd tell him you plan to go after thim about this unless he rectifies the situation by either giving your friend some money or trading back.
You can't really do that to a private seller. If it was a dealership then you have 3 days.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Backfiring could due to crossed plug wires, a wet opti, etc ...
The idea being that there's fuel being ignited while the intake valve is open.

Any idea what he did with the car just before putting it up for sale?
It could be as simple as the opti being put back on wrong.
Do you have a link to the forsale thread? https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...-modified.html
Did you search through his old posts to look for clues?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.ph...&starteronly=1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...tory-time.html

Last edited by James Montigny; 01-24-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Clues ....
Originally Posted by wickedformula
Installed new NGK spark plugs and brand new MSD 8.5mm wires wrapped in heat protector sleeves. Also has brand new optispark ignition(not just cap and rotor i replaced the whole unit).
The car currently needs new oxygen sensors because the paint burning off from the new headers ruined the new ones i put in. There will be no problems with it after those are installed. the e-brake cable broke from the right rear caliper, easy to fix. needs a new wheel sensor since abs light recently came on. not a fan of abs so didnt bother fixing that.

On a related note; once you have it runnin again.... cut the worthless glasspacks off and put a real muffler on there.
It'll sound and perform much better.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

wow lots of childish bashing. The car was everything i said it ran for me and i put it on the trailor. the video of the car was 2 weeks ago if that and it ran great. I drove it on the trailor and everything. as for the injector wiring i got the car that way and it drove fine. i never messed with it b.c. it did work. the optispark was installed over 1500miles ago so its safe to assume it wouldnt be that. check the plugs. could have fouled a few. cars never seen cold weather like this. I'm willing to help so please dont take the wrong direction and be ****** about it. i heard the quad run but it wouldnt start yesturday so we're kinda in the same boat. Plug wires i know for a fact are on correctly.

and for the glasspacks, they sound excellent. Old school hotrods used to run headers to glasspacks. nothing better than that nastaligic muscle car sound.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably just a wild crazy opinion, but I hope it didnt jump timing.

Just check all the wiring, probably something there.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Cars been sitting since the beginning of winter too i havent done anything but start it up once in a while to circulate fluids. Im as stumped as you are right now but id like to help guys
Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^sounds like a good guy. Im sure yall will find the problem.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

appreciate it ironoutlaw. as for it jumping timing im not sure how it would do that when the car ran fine for me putting it on the trailor. then it was just a trip to indiana where we traded. The opti is pretty new. maybe 3-4000 miles on it. I daily drove it all summer without a problem. I'd consider checking the plugs out first. it has the 160 stat in it so its been running richer than normally. dont know if that finally did them in from just sitting.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

seems like hes sincere, it says in one of your posts you has a 02 problem? i would run threw all the sensors. cps bad or unplugged it wouldnt start.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

appreciate it ironoutlaw. as for it jumping timing im not sure how it would do that when the car ran fine for me putting it on the trailor. then it was just a trip to indiana where we traded. The opti is pretty new. maybe 3-4000 miles on it. I daily drove it all summer without a problem. I'd consider checking the plugs out first. it has the 160 stat in it so its been running richer than normally. dont know if that finally did them in from just sitting.

My friend is happy with the car, he wanted one for awhile. I feel crappy cause i showed him it an he bought it.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

yes car did have bad o2's. check engine light would come on while driving. but go out when i turned it off for a while and started it. I don't know where to start because im being completely honest by saying it was running great for me. and the car had a dead battery once we got there. we pushed it off the trailor (he helped!) and into the yard. Same with the quad (dead battery). This was fine by both of us. So the whole story about him getting in it to start it and me leaving was B.S. since the battery was to low. Don't know why we're making things up here, maybe to make me look bad? Really would like to handle this maturely and help eachother out here.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daves94formula
like formula said your going to need to find a actual scanner if you want to pull up any codes on her. thats a pretty shitty deal dude. sounds like he knew enough about her to get her moved and call it good. i went to his page and looked at his sig. University of Northwestern Ohio - major = High Performance Technology looks like someone is going to have to choose a new major.....
oh its obd1, my friend actually has a scanner but it still wouldn't work

Quick Reply: Little pissed off