Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torsen or Auburn? whats better for 10bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsen or Auburn? whats better for 10bolt?

First of all can anyone tell me for sure what my stock 98 10bolt 3.23 gear A4 rear came with?

While doing burnouts the drivers side kicks in and out, but its mainly dead. I thought it was the way I pulled into the water box or the water on the tires causing it. But the rear makes a hellova howling sound in the burnout box while the drivers side tire locks in and out. Im sure its the posi gone bad.. car drives fine everywhere else though

which would be the best to replace the posi with? Ive heard when the torsen goes you can still drive on them, but if the auburn breaks you arent going anywhere..
Old 10-06-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Torsen or Auburn? whats better for 10bolt?

Torsen's never "wear" out, so maybe you have an auburn which is a clutch type...

Torsen is $99 new. Auburn over $300.

Tommy
Old 10-06-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that is an Auburn. Jack up the rear and leave it in park. Try to spin a tire by hand. If it is a Torsen, the opposite tire will spin backwards, if it is an Auburn, it won't move (unless the thing it totally wasted....).
Old 10-06-2003, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

i remember seeing springs in there when i had the cover off once.... so isnt that the auburn?

but i swear the opposite tire spins backwards though when its jacked up
Old 10-06-2003, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

98s came with auburn. Guy I know has one for sale for 100.00(posi only). Torsen have gears and I didnt see any springs in mine when I changed my rear recently. Btw I did drive mine home from the track when mine(Torsen) went out. Good luck cause I havent had any lately.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks man... the car drives fine though which makes it seem to me like the springs must be weak or ready to go. I stopped racing at the track that day after my 3rd pass because the howling sound and one wheel wonders didnt make me feel to good.. plus i was 1.5 hours from home and no trailer!

anyone know if that sound came from the posi(auburn) getting ready to chunk into peices?

i definitly never heard it before untill that day when the wheel would lock and unlock or just only spin the passanger side

n/m about the wheel spinnin in park also. I missread it and thought it said neutral.. in park it wont budge... well before anyway(havent tried since the one wheel wonder burnouts)
Old 10-07-2003, 05:06 AM
jfm
10 Second Club

98s came with a Auburn as standard,99 and up the Torsen was standard and as an upgrade on the SS you could opt for the Auburn[not the same as the standard Auburn in 98].

Sounds like your Auburn is toasted,for $99 + shipping get the SLP Torsen take out until you can upgrade to a 12 bolt.

GM replaced my upgraded Auburn after I smoked it and that one gave up pretty quick[one wheel burn outs kill an Auburn real fast].I have the SLP Torsen in now but I use someone to make sure that both wheels go on the burnout.The Torson I have can do one wheel burn outs if not watched.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

jfm, thanks for the reply.. hell i could get a few torsens for the price of the auburn
Old 10-08-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Torsen unit best. I've had both.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Teching In

I heard it depends on your purpose. if you go to the track a lot i heard the torsen is a better str8 line diff. for roads and cornering use an auburn its better. auburns maintenance is extensive, 6500-7000 miles for oil changes and you cant use syn. oil. dont forget the friction modifier either.
Tom

Quick Reply: Torsen or Auburn? whats better for 10bolt?