Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker LT guys, questions about AIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker LT guys, questions about AIR

Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys running Hooker LT's have had any problems with the AIR block off plates since Hooker doesn't have a race version on their headers. My SS is a 2002 if you didn't notice in the sig. Thanks. Btw, I would most likely be picking up the ones from Speed Inc.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by greg_74
Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys running Hooker LT's have had any problems with the AIR block off plates since Hooker doesn't have a race version on their headers. My SS is a 2002 if you didn't notice in the sig. Thanks. Btw, I would most likely be picking up the ones from Speed Inc.

Unfortunately yes I did......on the older version of Hooker's(2000), I was running block off plates. One day leaving the store my Wife and I heard a bang underneath the hood followed by running over something metallic....and loud exhaust ( like a bad muffler). Pulled into another parking lot,popped the hood and found a 50 cent piece size hole on the DS header pipe.
The failure happened where the tube is welded to the pipe....either caused by a weak weld or that individual cylinder was running a bit lean or combo of both....not known for sure.
I now have Kook's 1 7/8 race version.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have Hooker's, but I'm running SLP LT's with Speed Inc's AIR and EGR blockoff's with no problems.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the painted/rusty hookers with no coating and no probs for 20k plus. Soon to be replacing with ARH's for the bling plus I dont car for rust. But yea youll be fine.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

I never had a problem, but I'm going to be getting them chopped off and welded shut. I have heard of problems when running block off plates, but never heard of any problems when they weren't blocked off and were connected as designed. Then again, heard, never experienced or seen.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS1875
Unfortunately yes I did......on the older version of Hooker's(2000), I was running block off plates. One day leaving the store my Wife and I heard a bang underneath the hood followed by running over something metallic....and loud exhaust ( like a bad muffler). Pulled into another parking lot,popped the hood and found a 50 cent piece size hole on the DS header pipe.
The failure happened where the tube is welded to the pipe....either caused by a weak weld or that individual cylinder was running a bit lean or combo of both....not known for sure.
I now have Kook's 1 7/8 race version.
That sucks. I don't have the money for Kooks though and don't want Pacesetter so Hooker's are really my best choice.

Originally Posted by 20ws601
I have the painted/rusty hookers with no coating and no probs for 20k plus. Soon to be replacing with ARH's for the bling plus I dont car for rust. But yea youll be fine.
Yeah I figured quite a few guys have done it with no problems but then there are stories like the guy above.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

That sucks. I don't have the money for Kooks though and don't want Pacesetter so Hooker's are really my best choice.
That's the boat I was in and I got the Hooker stainless. Worth it in my opinion, and can do like I am with just chopping them off and welding the hole shut.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

ive had both black painted which are now on my brother T/A and now have ceramic coated ones on my car never had a problem with the hookers at all also these headers slip right in witout any issues of steering or any other obstructions in the way very easy to install too..
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quik01ss
ive had both black painted which are now on my brother T/A and now have ceramic coated ones on my car never had a problem with the hookers at all also these headers slip right in witout any issues of steering or any other obstructions in the way very easy to install too..
So you deteted the AIR on yours and didn't have any problems?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My headers are still in one piece, and I have the AIR blocked. Only have 8 months or so on them though lol.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

no problems here. ive been rolling around for 2 years with the air and egr blocked off.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

So you deteted the AIR on yours and didn't have any problems?
yes i cut the tubes off and welded them up the black ones look good because i painted it black high temp where i closed the hole but the creamic 1s i shot some greyish high temp paint so it wont rust....
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did basically the same thing but I cut off just the foot of the tube where it bolts to the manifold. Then I took a penny (or a nickel, I can't remember) and sandwiched it with some sealant. No problems in the last year or so since it was done.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I did basically the same thing but I cut off just the foot of the tube where it bolts to the manifold. Then I took a penny (or a nickel, I can't remember) and sandwiched it with some sealant. No problems in the last year or so since it was done.
Talk about putting money in your car...